Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics" - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,718, Level 66
Points: 9,718, Level: 66 Points: 9,718, Level: 66 Points: 9,718, Level: 66
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jay 918 View Post
was kinda thinking more of the 2013+ Fusions but then again i do mean Fusion in general.... assuming the 2.5L transmission would bolt up to the current direct injected D20. or does the 2013+ use the same transmission as the 10-12?
The 2013 uses the exact same transmission as the 2010-2012, even with the 1.6 L EcoBoost or 2.0L EcoBoost engines, same as the 2009-2011 Mercury Mariner, and the 2009-2013 Escape.

They use the 6F35. Many people may like the fact that it is a traditional slushbox, but for me I don't care for how they perform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
mk2dubvr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107382
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium '91 GTi

FF Reputation: 1 mk2dubvr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
turn the radio up and problems dissapear
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106045
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomenter View Post
Since most of the components are derived from a manual transmission, the PowerShift transmission will drive, sound, and feel like a manual transmission but without the driver interaction.
Worst sentence ever.

That's quite a comprehensive list of noises, judders and vibrations. Jeez.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Guys comparing a DSG of a golf or any VW product is still not the same because they are wet setup...the hydraulic action smooths out any roughness or grinding. The focus is a dry setup, which is lighter and cheaper, but no fluids are present to hush the unpleasant characteristics

It should still be noted that several DCTs were indeed faulty, and even if this is the normal operation of the transmissions, Ford should know better than to think customers will believe/accept that

More reason to get an actual manual!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,376, Level 29
Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29 Points: 2,376, Level: 29
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I'm completely in love with the 6-speed in the ST. Best M/T I've used since my '86 Civic Si. I'm still wondering why they didn't just use that in all the M/T Focuses. Is the 5-speed from the Fusion?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,718, Level 66
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I'm completely in love with the 6-speed in the ST. Best M/T I've used since my '86 Civic Si. I'm still wondering why they didn't just use that in all the M/T Focuses. Is the 5-speed from the Fusion?
The MTX-75 was used in the original Focus and every U.S. Focus 5 speed manual since then.

The 6MT in the ST was originally used in the Mondeo behind a turbodiesel engine with slightly different internal gear ratios. The MTX-75 is a Ford gearbox, the MMT6 is another Ford-Getrag gearbox and is layed out internally similarly to the DCT in terms of having two sets of gears in a single case and two final drives, although the MMT6 is older than the DCT.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Points 1,204, Level 19
Points: 1,204, Level: 19 Points: 1,204, Level: 19 Points: 1,204, Level: 19
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by red jay 918 View Post
i still say this all could have been avoided if they just used the fusion 6 speed auto.
agreed!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
suss6052
Focus Addict

Points 9,718, Level 66
Level Up 17% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jay 918 View Post
i still say this all could have been avoided if they just used the Fusion 6 speed auto. i don't know if the DCT was already being sold in Europe, but if not then couldn't they have saved some money just by sourcing the Fusion transmission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
agreed!
100% disagreed. If they were going to do this I would not have bought my car, at least not equipped this way.

The only way that would have been acceptable is if a 6MT similar to the MMT6 but with the appropriate gearing changes for the less powerful engine in the standard MK3 Focus was available.

The 6F35 has no real agreeable traits other than the low speed creeping characteristic based on the torque multiplication provided by the torque converter.

A naturally aspirated 2.0 L engine is not well suited to having a torque converter behind it to sap the life out of it.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
SydneyRoo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86671
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Blue Candy

Points 1,434, Level 21
Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21 Points: 1,434, Level: 21
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 SydneyRoo Good Standing Member
I came from exclusively driving manual transmissions to the DCT when I bought my Focus. I definitely like how it behaves like a manual transmission, but if you came from driving only slushbox autos, I could understand how the DCT would feel funny. The noises don't bother me, it's what comes with automation of a manual trans. Mine's not too noisy anyway.
Love the 2nd gear whine while decelerating :3
Also love the downshifting with revmatching. Downshifting a slushbox auto is the worst feeling in the world to me. GLURK
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
Guys comparing a DSG of a golf or any VW product is still not the same because they are wet setup...the hydraulic action smooths out any roughness or grinding. The focus is a dry setup, which is lighter and cheaper, but no fluids are present to hush the unpleasant characteristics

It should still be noted that several DCTs were indeed faulty, and even if this is the normal operation of the transmissions, Ford should know better than to think customers will believe/accept that

More reason to get an actual manual!
I like to use the motorcycle comparison to demonstrate to those non familiar with our DCT. The VAG DSG transmission is much like most motorcycle manual transmissions (wet clutch packs), the shift action and clutch engagement is very smooth, in fact, you can "slip" wet clutches all day long and they don't really complain. Now, take our dry clutch DCT setup, I liken it to a dry clutch Ducati transmission.. Every ride a modern Ducati? The clutch housing is quite noisey (especially at idle in neutral -sounds like tambourine), it is tricky to get a smooth shift out of one and you are very "aware" of gear selection and clutch positon, simply by the loud noises and "clunkiness" of it all. BUT, it is a much more effecient setup (no parasitic losses from the clutches spinning in oil), and no "slippage" when engaging gears. Another benefit from a dry clutch setup is no clutch fibres (normal wear and tear) contaminating your oil. That's why most conventional (Japanese bikes anyway) motorcycles require very frequent oil changes (3000kms usually) ---- the oil gets black from the clutch fibres, literally. Look at a Ducati's oil at 3-5k... still golden yellow/brown.
That is probably why VW/Audi require the frequent DSG oil changes at a somewhat great expense....

Is the DCT better than VW's DSG? That is not a simple answer, I guess the best answer I give people is, "they're different. Ask a Ducati owner if his loud, noisey dry clutch motorcyle is better than most Japanese bikes, and he will give you a resounding "Hell, yes".. that is Italian music", whereas, Honda/Kawi/Yamaha/Suzuki owner's consider it loud and "unfriendly", they'll stick with thier nice and "quiet" wet clutch setups.
I don't know about you, but, I quite like not having my clutches in the same oil as my transmission... longer life and almost no maintenance. When it comes to bikes, well, I've been riding and racing them for much of my 42 years on this earth, and while I do like Ducati's, I'll stick with the Japanese bikes, since they are considerably cheaper (and easier to fix.. LOL)

Cheers
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.