Should I dump my Focus?? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #41
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If you don't have any issues, why get rid of it?

I honestly think the new Focus will hold up just fine over time, as long as you keep up on regular maintenance and clean it regularly. If you were to have issues, I think you would be experiencing them already.

I only jumped because mine had issues from the start that Ford refused to resolve or even admit to, and I couldn't even resolve them myself after 1 year and nearly 17k miles of testing different solutions using my own wallet. Issues aside, I loved the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
josephd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84356
What I Drive: 2007 SE Dark Toreador Red Pearl

FF Reputation: 1 josephd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There is always going to be the certain percentage of people who feel the need, or want to own a new car.
Older high mileage cars does not always mean unreliability. A car is a means of transportation from point A to B.
200K is now the new 100K.
If you add up the 5 to 6 years of payments. Which by the way, the average new car payment is now $475 a month. Add up the higher insurance premiums, and sales tax.
It is still a better bet to drive a fully paid older car. My Focus is 6 years old with 82K, its not the prettiest car on the block. But I own it, take very good care of it, and she runs very well.
What's funny about all this. People go out and spend thousands on a new car for the warranty, and the so called reliability.
Yet, as I sit on the various forums, and follow Edmunds on Twitter.
All I see, are posts about all the problems people are having with their new cars. Not to mention the recalls for one thing or another.
Now this is not an angry rant, or intending to offend. It is just my humblest opinion. So please don't take it as such.
If I could afford to own a new car, I would. But payment free. After all, I was doing the same as the next person. Rolling over one car loan into the next. But it's new it's reliable, even though I paid over 60K in car payments.;-)

Last edited by josephd; 01-17-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #43
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Well, just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, a local Toyota dealer is trying to put me into a Corolla. They will go down as low as a hair over $16,000 for this car. It's a brand new 2013: http://www.mossytoyota.com/new-San+D...BU4EE9DP114681

Just to refresh on my situation, I paid $20,800 out the door for my Focus. I put $9,000 down and owe about $9,000 on my loan. My Focus according to the internet, is worth roughly $16,000 or more.

Thoughts on this?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #44
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
As much as I like Toyotas and had an 05 Corolla ... that's not the best choice now. The Corolla has lan guished in recent years. I went to a Mazda3 and couldn't be happier. They might be a few K more than the Toyota but they're light years ahead in terms of driveability.

Having said that .... if you're just looking for a cheap car to get from A to B .... and you don't care at all about performance .... it's damn hard to beat the reliability of a Toyota. My 05 Corolla S went 165,000 miles, and all I did to it other than maintenance was 1 headlight bulb. It was by FAR the most reliable car I ever owned. It got 32-33 MPG from the day it was born until I traded it on the Focus. Front brakes went 110,000 .... rear brakes went 155,000.

Unfortunately ... I doubt you'll get $16K for your car ... probably more like $13-14K.

Great luck in your search!

REV
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
fomenter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107937
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fomenter Good Standing Member
FYI:Corolla will be redesigned soon. I'm not sure if you want to drive a car that would be an old body style a year from now...
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #46
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
Well, just to play devil's advocate here for a minute, a local Toyota dealer is trying to put me into a Corolla. They will go down as low as a hair over $16,000 for this car. It's a brand new 2013: http://www.mossytoyota.com/new-San+D...BU4EE9DP114681

Just to refresh on my situation, I paid $20,800 out the door for my Focus. I put $9,000 down and owe about $9,000 on my loan. My Focus according to the internet, is worth roughly $16,000 or more.

Thoughts on this?
If you have zero priority to get any enjoyment from driving, and prefer a passionless car ownership experience get the Corolla.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #47
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post

Thoughts on this?
The new '14 Corolla will be coming out this summer. Don't do it.

The current gen Corolla is very old in the tooth and not a worthy alternative to your Focus. Keep the Focus.

That's besides the fact that the Corolla is a soulless appliance.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #48
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post

The current gen Corolla is very old in the tooth and not a worthy alternative to your Focus. Keep the Focus.

That's besides the fact that the Corolla is a soulless appliance.
All true, but it's an outrageously reliable soulless appliance.

REV
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #49
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Given the current Camry is coming in last or next to last place in midsize sedan comparos, only 1 year into a redesign, I wouldn't hold out hopes for the '14 Corolla.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
But shouldn't he also NOT get the 2014 and wait for the 2015 for the first year kinks to be worked out? By then the Focus will only be worth 73 cents.

(You know I'm just kidding... I hope?)

Bookmarks & Social Networks