Guys with CAI systems with oilable filters - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Guys with CAI systems with oilable filters

Well I have less than 10,000 miles on my car, and even less mileage than that on my Steeda CAI system. It is still worth every penny to this day if you ask me.

Anywho, poking around under the hood, I noticed the filter was kind of dirty and grey in color last week (no picture unfortunately). It was a nice clean blue from the factory. Steeda uses S&B filters fyi and they come pre oiled obviously, hence the blue color. So I did a search for the S&B recharge kit, and I ended up getting it for $17.99 shipped from Jegs off of Ebay. Anything less than $20 seems reasonable (Steeda sells it for $19.99 on their website). I mean you can use the K&N recharge kit as well, their oil just happens to be died red instead of blue. The kit comes with an aerosol can of blue colored oil and the cleaning solution. Anywho, if you read the can it says do not over oil and to use the special applicator to get the proper amount of oil. Sounds scientific and intimidating now.

Don't worry about that at all. Take your filter out, smack it a few times to shake out any loose dirt (mine was not that dirty) spray the cleaning solution on it, let it soak for ten minutes, rinse, let dry and re oil. The bottle also says allow to dry naturally, do not use compressed air or heat. Whatever. When it is drying shake it out and leave it upside down for awhile. The water will pool at the bottom near the seams. I shook it for awhile in intervals basically. After it was mostly dry, I let it sit in the sun for awhile, then I used a blow drier on medium heat from a safe distance around the seams especially to finish it off. I can't imagine anybody having problems with a blow drier on these things. They probably just don't want you using a heat gun on them.

Once the filter is completely dry, it is time for reoiling, the part that makes people nervous. Too little oil you aren't trapping dust, too much oil, you foul your MAF. The solution? Pretend like you are spray painting something. I was probably a good foot away, quick light taps of the trigger while rotating the filter in a horizontal pattern from back to front. Also lay some news paper down or something as the oil is dyed. This is where the dye comes in handy though as you can actually see where you oiled on the filter. The apparent key is to barely change the color of the filter from grey to blue. See below. Using that as your theme, I think it would be hard to over oil it. You don't want the filter to be wet with oil, just a nice light colored coating

The reason I posted this long winded guide if you will is becasue I couldn't find much on reoiling your air filters. I was on Mustang forums where guys were saying, screw it and just buy a new filter, they're only $50, that way you don't risk screwing anything up. Nonsense. I could probably clean and oil my filter 15 times with this recharge kit. I feel confident that I didn't screw it up. The filter looks like it did the day I got it.

Also, they're seems to be a general disagreement on how often you should service the filter. Some guys said every 5,000 miles, some guys said 20,000 miles, once a year etc. Granted it depends on your environment, but I would wager if it passes the eye test or not. Your filter is probably going to be red or blue, if you're under the hood and it looks dirty and grey, it is time to service it. I figure this is something I might try to do once every 8 months to a year or so.

ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
TBLightning84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95808
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Sport 6spd. DCT

FF Reputation: 1 TBLightning84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good write up! Not much on the Internet about proper oiling procedures
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
so far so good. The car isn't doing anything funny, and most likely coincidentally, my mpg are up a bit with no difference in driving habits, even though the weather is getting very cold here right now. I don't know if it just me, but every focus I have owned ate gas in the winter. My old ST would get around 20 in the winter while I would get 26+ in the summer. I am a rather spirited driver too.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08

Fan#: 95574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Powershift SEP

FF Reputation: 11 unida767 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Could have done with this thread a week ago when I did mine By chance I actually did as you suggest and no ill effects.

SC#8 HN168
uɐıןɐɹʇs,

Bookmarks & Social Networks