2007 Rear Brake Rebuild - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 302, Level 6
Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2007 Rear Brake Rebuild

2007 Focus SES (4 door sedan) 2.0 L4
Milage: ~90,000 miles

- Daughter's car, daily driver, she lives ~100 miles away so what I want to avoid is a rescue call so I try to stay ahead of problems.
- So far there has been zero maintenance done to the rear brakes and bearings. I figure at 90K miles it's time to rectify that.
- Plan is to rebuild the rear brake system with new parts (drums, bearings, bearing seals, brake shoes, springs & related hardware, wheel cylinders, flex hoses, e-brake lines, hub nuts & dust caps). It may sound like over kill but I want the daughter to be safe and I want to be able to ignore the rear brakes for another 90K miles.

So two questions:
- Now I have seen where you can get the hubs with the bearings already installed, but I am not sure what the quality of the bearings used are as they do not specify the bearings used. Can anyone recommend a hub that comes with a quality bearing installed?
- Second question, pricing for this will be around $250 USD. I could go with doing a rear disc brake conversion if the price is right. I know it will cost more, but what is the least expensive conversion kit out there?

Thanks,
Milton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

Points 8,123, Level 60
Points: 8,123, Level: 60 Points: 8,123, Level: 60 Points: 8,123, Level: 60
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
the conversion kit usually run about $300 to $400 and is from people scavenging them from crashed Foci. you usually need to get new rotors and pads with the kit also unless found locally because rotors just cost to much to ship.

My drums had some 150k on them and they were fine. It sounds like you want to do a complete overhaul!... not sure if that's needed.

When I pulled my rear drums in prep to get a rear disk setup I could not pull the drums from the spindle. with a puller it would not even budge. Centric makes good drums with the bearings already installed, C-F-M has them, I think you can also find them on Amazon and if you have a Prime account free shipping.

shoes are fairly basic. their a re a few fancy ones that offer more bite... replacing everything you want I am not sure if you can do it for less than $250...
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,202, Level 35
Points: 3,202, Level: 35 Points: 3,202, Level: 35 Points: 3,202, Level: 35
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Get lifetime warranty drums, more likely to have better grade bearing. To my knowledge even the best of the best drums do not announce what the quality of the bearing is. You can most likely rely on someone like Bosch or Wagner though..........

I do front discs at 75K and rear drums at 125K, the rears still have some life left...........I have '00 and '02 models.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.