2013 Focus Observations - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #171
Pinion Dominion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105589
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Pinion Dominion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
Close, but your forgetting the tongue in the middle.
Yes, but I'm not sure if that's actually needed, it looks like more of a piece that just helps you slot the tray in correctly. Front what I saw in the picture a few pages back the two front "flaps" + the base holds the tray in place. Actually maybe it is needed as you need some way to lock the tray so it does not slide (ie. towards the back where the usb's are). But then again the console inside is contoured so perhaps that provides the locking action.

Also not sure on the dimensions of it. Also, if I were to try to 3d print that, I don't think it would be very durable. It'd probably snap off when I tried to peel off the excess print.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #172
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion Dominion View Post
For example if using injection molding, cost of making a die would prob be around $6000 + wait 2-3 months for die to be developed. Then the manufacturer would have a piece price of maybe $2 per piece and require minimum order of at least 5000. Then, I don't know about the legality. Can you just take Ford's design and sell it? Probably not so you'd have to modify the design a little. But a lot of work involved and might be hard to get a manufacturer on board for such a small project.
Psh, who needs die manufacturers? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1236593

(just an example...)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #173
Pinion Dominion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105589
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Pinion Dominion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Psh, who needs die manufacturers? http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1236593

(just an example...)
This is cool technique but I was thinking of dies for mass production. I thought that by you saying "get rich" you would want to mass produce this product to sell to a large number focus owners. So I don't think it would be feasible without proper manufacturing equipment to pump out say 20,000 pieces (just throwing this number out there, no basis for this number, but maybe the market size would be say 15% of 2012 Ford Focus owners [I don't know the sales figures]).

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #174
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
This is cool technique but I was thinking of dies for mass production. I thought that by you saying "get rich" you would want to mass produce this product to sell to a large number focus owners. So I don't think it would be feasible without proper manufacturing equipment to pump out say 20,000 pieces (just throwing this number out there, no basis for this number, but maybe the market size would be say 15% of 2012 Ford Focus owners [I don't know the sales figures]).

Sorry for the confusion.
Haha, that's alright. I think I'd have a hard time "getting rich" from making these... unless I charged $65 a pop!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #175
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Yes, but I'm not sure if that's actually needed, it looks like more of a piece that just helps you slot the tray in correctly. Front what I saw in the picture a few pages back the two front "flaps" + the base holds the tray in place. Actually maybe it is needed as you need some way to lock the tray so it does not slide (ie. towards the back where the usb's are). But then again the console inside is contoured so perhaps that provides the locking action.

Also not sure on the dimensions of it. Also, if I were to try to 3d print that, I don't think it would be very durable. It'd probably snap off when I tried to peel off the excess print.
It is needed. Here is some more pics for you.

The front tab actually holds the piece up.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #176
henryd1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114338
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 henryd1981 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
I have one in my '13 SE with 201A. Here are some crappy pictures of it:

Printed on the back is (not sure if you can see it in the picture):

BM51-A045H74-ABW
MAT CNSL STWG CMPT

Guessing that name means Material Console Stowage Compartment?

I would assume any '13 SE with the 201A package (gives you the center console/cupholders like in the Titanium) has this little shelf.

My dealer actually didn't know about it. I found it in the glove compartment when I was putting my paperwork in there for the drive home. Have you checked your glove box?

In any case, I really like this. It's one of those things you wouldn't think would matter, but makes organization a lot nicer. I can now hide my garage remote in there, still access it super easily, and make the console area that much "cleaner" looking!
I'm glad to finally know what it is. However, I don't know why I have one. I found it in my glove box, but my Focus is just a regular SE, without the 201A package. It would not fit in my center console. I guess it was put there by mistake.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #177
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
After reading thru this whole thread I decided to go look at my kids 13 and see if she got the tray in hers. Sure enough it was there right in the console where it should be. When I looked at the car at the dealer it was not there, and I asked the salesman about it and he said that only the Ti's get the tray. Well apparently he was wrong. My kids 13 is an SE w/201A and winter package and it had the tray.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37

Bookmarks & Social Networks