MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101 - Page 22 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #211
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
Well I feel like an idiot Apparently it took a while for me to realize that the oil I was putting into the head was running down the dip-stick and I thought it was over-filled by a mile... Oh well, live and learn.

You can buy one for 99. Put it in the oil filler cap hole and pour in the oil. No harder than pouring a glass of chocolate milk, which means my nine-year-old daughter can accomplish that step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
I also must say that for oil changes, ramps would be much quicker than a jack and axle stands. Jacking the car was the most time consuming part.

Yup, ramps for the win. After the oil change, we did a tire rotation which required the jack, but my son has helped me with those since he was four, so that went quickly.
Rally Revolution #21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #212
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
Regardless, it's good oil. If Chevy trusts the 505/638hp LS7/LS9 to it, I think our 160hp Focii will thrive on it.
Any current API SL, SM, SN formulation will get any factory assembled/tuned engine far beyond the warranty period. That wasn't the point of my post.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #213
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Any current API SL, SM, SN formulation will get any factory assembled/tuned engine far beyond the warranty period. That wasn't the point of my post.
Was the point of your post to be pedantic? The molecular change that the basestock undergoes in the GTL process to make Group III constitutes a synthetic end product in the eyes of most people. It is a completely man made process not found in nature with a end product that cannot be duplicated by natural means. More importantly, a Grp III performs as well as Grp IV or Grp V based oils in every meaningful way.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #214
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Mobil 1 is still using Visom (hydrocracked petroleum), no reports of the change to GTL. If they had, and GTL was proven to have that low of NOACK, it would be on their specification sheet as a bragging right. Mobil 1, like other big oil companies, have omitted NOACK from their spec sheet to mask the base stock used in the formulation. The trained eye would know they were paying true synthetic prices for a cheaper, lower performing hydrocracked base stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamDFL View Post
More importantly, a Grp III performs as well as Grp IV or Grp V based oils in every meaningful way.
Unfortunately, you are incorrect. That's big oil marketing group think.

Group III base stocks are not as resistive to oxidation, do not offer as low of frictional coefficient properties, has far higher NOACK (group III GTL still unproven), still contain impurities, not as resistive to shearing, and do not have nearly as long expected use.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #215
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Mobil 1 is still using Visom (hydrocracked petroleum), no reports of the change to GTL. If they had, and GTL was proven to have that low of NOACK, it would be on their specification sheet as a bragging right.
I stand corrected. I thought it was GTL. Carry on then.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #216
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The Yamalube I use in my bike is blue. But doesn't say it's synthetic. Pretty stuff. I'm just going to let ford use what they want on my car.

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #217
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
The Yamalube I use in my bike is blue. But doesn't say it's synthetic. Pretty stuff. I'm just going to let ford use what they want on my car.
You are fortunate that Motorcraft 5W-20 is a decent lubricant. Ford 5W-50 is junk. Most of the GT500 owners have ran from it.

One of the Snow Mobile manufacturers told buyers if they didn't use their lubricant, their warranty was void because it would destroy the engine.

Amsoil sled oil made that companies lube look like crap in comparison, and the engines tested lasted far longer on Amsoil with lower deposits.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #218
RAF_S197
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91991
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford white Sport Black Pack

FF Reputation: 21 RAF_S197 Great Standing Member
I'm just over 1000 miles on my 2013 and plan to do an pop change soon.
I'd like go go with mobil1 synthetic. If I'm not mistaken these cars come with synthetic blend so going with straight synthetic at such a low mileage shouldn't be an issue?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #219
2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF_S197 View Post
I'm just over 1000 miles on my 2013 and plan to do an pop change soon.
I'd like go go with mobil1 synthetic. If I'm not mistaken these cars come with synthetic blend so going with straight synthetic at such a low mileage shouldn't be an issue?
As far as I know Ford doesn't use any "break in" additives so you should be fine.

I found this list of Oil Myths interesting, especially #7 as it quotes an expert at Blackstone saying he doesn't think synthetic adds MPG and another expert questions whether synthetic is worth the extra cost. I think if you've got the extra $20 each oil change and it makes you feel better it's worth it. Urban Legend #5 does sort of support changing the oil earlier than normal.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #220
RAF_S197
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91991
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford white Sport Black Pack

FF Reputation: 21 RAF_S197 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012sel View Post
As far as I know Ford doesn't use any "break in" additives so you should be fine.

I found this list of Oil Myths interesting, especially #7 as it quotes an expert at Blackstone saying he doesn't think synthetic adds MPG and another expert questions whether synthetic is worth the extra cost. I think if you've got the extra $20 each oil change and it makes you feel better it's worth it. Urban Legend #5 does sort of support changing the oil earlier than normal.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html
Thanks. I was wondering if I should hold off on the oil change incase they use a break in additive

Bookmarks & Social Networks