Suspension Upgrade - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #21
13ingothatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106336
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus Se hatch

FF Reputation: 1 13ingothatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what the model name of those wheels? gorgeous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #22
ad1das
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108623
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey 4d

FF Reputation: 1 ad1das Good Standing Member
I recently upgraded my springs on the car to the Eibach Sportlines, on the 4 door sedan. Being that it is on the stock 16inch rims, it looks, and handles amazing. I come from the mustang world, which i traded for my '13 F-150, and i am used to using steeda stuff. I ended up getting the eibachs for a great price. The camber is just right, and its not too bouncy at all. It feels close to stock, and sits significantly lower. I had steeda ultralites on my mustang, and that was far more bouncy than the focus is on the sportlines. I am still utilizing the stock shocks/struts, which i plan on upgrading soon as well. I will post pics eventually.

Oh and hello, i'm new to this forum :)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ingothatch View Post
what the model name of those wheels? gorgeous!
18X8 Axis XMX.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Bliky Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosKo425 View Post
Hey Bilky....how does your car handle with the Steeda rear sway? After my green filter it's next on the list if it is worth it. @Zillon: car looks tough.
It handles really well. When you first get it on it makes a huge difference but I either broke it or Ive gotten used to it because after a while I guess you get used to it... It made the car feel like there is a lot of roll, but mostly from the back to there is some roll all around and makes the rear end feel more planted... Get it!

Zillon, if that wish list on amazon looks right then i'll probably order it today or tomorrow... Thanks for your help mate!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #25
Benson2020
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88188
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Benson2020 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a guru. I just have more practical experience than most in the MK3 area of the forum.

The reason I suggest staying away from coils is due to the area you live in. As a fellow member who lives in the northeast, coilovers are not a good bet for a daily driven car. I don't say that because the ride will be rough, but I say that because the salt, sand, brine, and other de-icing agents used on our roadways wreak havoc on suspension components.

I've had coilovers on past vehicles. Both times, the threads seized, rendering the ability to adjust the ride height useless, despite my best efforts to keep them oiled, lubed, and free of salt, sand, or other corrosive material. If you're after street performance, a good set of dampers paired with a set of reputable performance springs will be your best bet for durability, handling, and ride compliance. Pro-kits are fine. Steeda's springs might be better, but I can't vouch for that. I will say that the handling of my car with the Prokit springs, ST struts, and Koni rear shocks with the Steeda rear sway was phenomenal for backroad driving.

For the dampers, call up Tousley Ford and ask for Steve.

Parts:
- AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts
- AST-12281 LH F Strut (ST-version)
- AST-12287 RH F Strut (ST-version)
- AD-1094 F Strut Bearings

Koni Yellows:
- 8040-1353SPORT Rear shock, adjustable, Mazdaspeed3

Here's how my car sat:

Yours will sit a hair lower, simply because the Titanium is a little heavier.
I am wondering if there is a reason you went with Koni yellows instead of ST rear shocks. Can I use ST shocks for the rear or do you recommend the Konis? I want to order my suspension this week and would like I go ST all around (shock part # anyone?) but will go with Koni shocks if that makes more sense. What do you recommend?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson2020 View Post
I am wondering if there is a reason you went with Koni yellows instead of ST rear shocks. Can I use ST shocks for the rear or do you recommend the Konis? I want to order my suspension this week and would like I go ST all around (shock part # anyone?) but will go with Koni shocks if that makes more sense. What do you recommend?
ST rear shocks won't fit.

Ford altered the rear suspension of the ST to fit a full-width sway bar. In doing so, they changed the rear bearing carrier entirely, so that the shock mounts to the top instead of the bottom. The ST shocks are about 7-8 inches too short; I found this out the hard way.

Mazdaspeed3-fitment shocks, however, are a perfect fit.

The reason I went with Konis is because of the rebound adjustability they offer. It afforded me the ability to fine-tune the setup to match the damping of the ST front struts as best I could. Overall, I was very satisfied with the setup in terms of ride quality and handling, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else until Konis finally comes out with a front strut fitment for the Focus/Focus ST.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Bliky Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
The reason I went with Konis is because of the rebound adjustability they offer. It afforded me the ability to fine-tune the setup to match the damping of the ST front struts as best I could. Overall, I was very satisfied with the setup in terms of ride quality and handling, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else until Konis finally comes out with a front strut fitment for the Focus/Focus ST.
So all the stuff you listed has been ordered. Is there any way you could tell/show me exactly what setting you have it tuned to since I want the Konis at the same adjustment as the front ST struts like you have it.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
ad1das
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108623
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey 4d

FF Reputation: 1 ad1das Good Standing Member
Sportlines

They are huge pics, with great detail, so much detail that in the first pic you can see how dirty the rims really are, and the last pic you can see my F150 with my Ad1das plates :)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
RAF_S197
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91991
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford white Sport Black Pack

FF Reputation: 21 RAF_S197 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Subscribing.
I'm leaning towards the sportlines for my mk3
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
So all the stuff you listed has been ordered. Is there any way you could tell/show me exactly what setting you have it tuned to since I want the Konis at the same adjustment as the front ST struts like you have it.
I had the rears set at ~60%, IIRC.

Just follow the instructions in the package. 1 turn = 1/2 of a revolution on the shock with Konis. Turn it to full soft, then find out how many turns it takes to get to full stiff. It's just simple math after that; just need to figure out how many half turns it takes to reach 60%.

Bookmarks & Social Networks