Suspension Upgrade - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Whatever springs you do go with, choose ones that are linear and not progressive. They'll handle better, handle more consistently, ride better, and if you're pairing with your stock dampers, your dampers will last longer.

The Steeda springs are good springs. I'd strongly recommend pairing them with the OEM ST front dampers and Koni yellow rear shocks.
Since you're apparently the guru would this be the best setup for suspension performance? Why is this better than coilovers? Be technical, I'm curious :P

Also, how would I go about buying either if the dampers or shocks? Is there anything else I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
Since you're apparently the guru would this be the best setup for suspension performance? Why is this better than coilovers? Be technical, I'm curious :P

Also, how would I go about buying either if the dampers or shocks? Is there anything else I need?
I wouldn't say I'm a guru. I just have more practical experience than most in the MK3 area of the forum.

The reason I suggest staying away from coils is due to the area you live in. As a fellow member who lives in the northeast, coilovers are not a good bet for a daily driven car. I don't say that because the ride will be rough, but I say that because the salt, sand, brine, and other de-icing agents used on our roadways wreak havoc on suspension components.

I've had coilovers on past vehicles. Both times, the threads seized, rendering the ability to adjust the ride height useless, despite my best efforts to keep them oiled, lubed, and free of salt, sand, or other corrosive material. If you're after street performance, a good set of dampers paired with a set of reputable performance springs will be your best bet for durability, handling, and ride compliance. Pro-kits are fine. Steeda's springs might be better, but I can't vouch for that. I will say that the handling of my car with the Prokit springs, ST struts, and Koni rear shocks with the Steeda rear sway was phenomenal for backroad driving.

For the dampers, call up Tousley Ford and ask for Steve.

Parts:
- AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts
- AST-12281 LH F Strut (ST-version)
- AST-12287 RH F Strut (ST-version)
- AD-1094 F Strut Bearings

Koni Yellows:
- 8040-1353SPORT Rear shock, adjustable, Mazdaspeed3

Here's how my car sat:

Yours will sit a hair lower, simply because the Titanium is a little heavier.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
So... pretty...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm a guru. I just have more practical experience than most in the MK3 area of the forum.

The reason I suggest staying away from coils is due to the area you live in. As a fellow member who lives in the northeast, coilovers are not a good bet for a daily driven car. I don't say that because the ride will be rough, but I say that because the salt, sand, brine, and other de-icing agents used on our roadways wreak havoc on suspension components.

I've had coilovers on past vehicles. Both times, the threads seized, rendering the ability to adjust the ride height useless, despite my best efforts to keep them oiled, lubed, and free of salt, sand, or other corrosive material. If you're after street performance, a good set of dampers paired with a set of reputable performance springs will be your best bet for durability, handling, and ride compliance. Pro-kits are fine. Steeda's springs might be better, but I can't vouch for that. I will say that the handling of my car with the Prokit springs, ST struts, and Koni rear shocks with the Steeda rear sway was phenomenal for backroad driving.

For the dampers, call up Tousley Ford and ask for Steve.

Parts:
- AD-1098 F Upper Strut Mounts
- AST-12281 LH F Strut (ST-version)
- AST-12287 RH F Strut (ST-version)
- AD-1094 F Strut Bearings

Koni Yellows:
- 8040-1353SPORT Rear shock, adjustable, Mazdaspeed3

Here's how my car sat:

Yours will sit a hair lower, simply because the Titanium is a little heavier.
I got home and opened this topic up and saw your car... The first word that came to mind is "perfect" I assume those are 18s? Pretty much the look i'm going for. Now for the parts, I did a little looking around online to see what I could find. The ford parts, mostly the struts, is there a separate part with the same number that's the ST version or is that part number for the ST version... I seem to found everything on amazon but i'm not sure if it's the correct stuff.

The amazon list: http://amzn.com/w/1JCXH987T02ZE
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Zillon
Focus Addict

Seems to be correct.

I'd probably order from Tousley, though. You'll save a few bucks over Amazon, unless you've got Amazon gift cards to spend, or Amazon prime eligibility.

Tousley prices:
AD-1094 bearing - 8.56 ea. (need 2)
AD-1098 mount - 10.80 ea. (need 2)
AST12287 - 44.17
AST12281 - 44.84

Also, I bought my Konis from THMotorsports. They have them for $130 ea. Add their 3% discount code, and that brings them to 126 ea., and they have free ground shipping.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
That Focus was sharp Zillion.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Seems to be correct.

I'd probably order from Tousley, though. You'll save a few bucks over Amazon, unless you've got Amazon gift cards to spend, or Amazon prime eligibility.

Tousley prices:
AD-1094 bearing - 8.56 ea. (need 2)
AD-1098 mount - 10.80 ea. (need 2)
AST12287 - 44.17
AST12281 - 44.84

Also, I bought my Konis from THMotorsports. They have them for $130 ea. Add their 3% discount code, and that brings them to 126 ea., and they have free ground shipping.
The thing about amazon is, I actually have both cards and Amazon prime... I'm just afraid they're the wrong parts or something like that. They should be right, I think... Lol I actually have $250 in amazon cards on their and i've been trying to find car parts to use them for but like I said, i'm afraid it's the wrong stuff.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
KosKo425
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105840
What I Drive: Beast Mode MK3

FF Reputation: 1 KosKo425 Good Standing Member
Hey Bilky....how does your car handle with the Steeda rear sway? After my green filter it's next on the list if it is worth it. @Zillon: car looks tough.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
You must be joking bro. You do realize where most of the slammed Audi/VW/BMW's are right? That's right... The NE...

Nice looking car though.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Zillon
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
You must be joking bro. You do realize where most of the slammed Audi/VW/BMW's are right? That's right... The NE...

Nice looking car though.
Yeah, I do realize that.

Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean it's a good decision.

If you're looking for a suspension setup for the long haul in any salt-ridden state, stay away from adjustable coilovers, unless you're going to spend the money right and get KWs. At least they have stainless bodies. I've done coilovers before on a DD, and I can vouch for the fact that springtime suspension overhauls suck.

Last edited by Zillon; 01-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->