Manual Drivers, Power LOSS while driving. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've had this happen about 3 times in the last 1.5 years (once when merging onto the highway....a little scary that time - this was the day after the car went in for the ECU update). It hasn't come back recently, though, so I can't shed any light on this. Sorry.

These cars really do depreciate, don't they? I tried to trade on a GTI last Summer, but wasn't willing to take the $6.5k drop, so I'm going to keep it until the Mk7 Golf comes out. If you're dying to get rid of your car, you could minimize the drop by selling privately.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Supramk3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96347
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver S 31.01.2012 BD

FF Reputation: 3 Supramk3 Good Standing Member
I cant merge loans those id still have like 5 grand to pay on a loan. And that would be silly if i didnt.have the car. Im working on trading it at a toyota dealer, should of stayed with what i knew.

Sent from the HO KID network using FF Mobile
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 337, Level 6
Points: 337, Level: 6 Points: 337, Level: 6 Points: 337, Level: 6
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Never had that happen, I only have about 6,500 miles on mine though. In general, let's keep in mind that these are computers on wheels, and what do we do when computers sometimes misbehave? We reboot them.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
GR34TWHI73N0RTH
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96598
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 1,953, Level 26
Points: 1,953, Level: 26 Points: 1,953, Level: 26 Points: 1,953, Level: 26
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 GR34TWHI73N0RTH Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It happened to me just the other day, i pulled out of a parking lot and accelerated in 1st, then when i shifted to 2nd no power, the car did nothing when i stepped on the accelerator. Then i got a check engine light, i ran a check and it was P2240, my 1st block O2 sensor, i reset it and then a few hours later it went off again, checked again same one, so im thinking its shorting out and the error set off the check engine light. Anyways called the dealer and hes ordering me one and it will be in tmro and a quick fix. It only had no power that one time after that even if the sensor re shorts it doesnt happen again. Weird but scared the crap out of me.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
djcgmcse
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84437
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 1 djcgmcse Good Standing Member
I had this happen about 3 times, but since the last ECU flash about 6 months ago, it never happened again.

But the ECU flash did make other things worse. Now my car vibrates and shakes constantly while driving at high speeds.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,244, Level 28
Points: 2,244, Level: 28 Points: 2,244, Level: 28 Points: 2,244, Level: 28
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 13 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcgmcse View Post
But the ECU flash did make other things worse. Now my car vibrates and shakes constantly while driving at high speeds.
I don't see how an ECU flash would do that. It sounds more like your wheels are slightly out of balance.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
djcgmcse
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84437
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SE 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 1 djcgmcse Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I don't see how an ECU flash would do that. It sounds more like your wheels are slightly out of balance.
Yeah, I thought the same so I bought some brand new tires and got a full re-allignment. Still have the same problem. The shake becomes most violent when driving up hills between 65-75 mph. It's almost like the car is struggling. I attribute it to the ECU flash, since perhaps they changed way the air/fuel ratio.

Who knows though, it could be anything. I'm off warranty now and ford charged me $175 to diagnose and didn't find anything wrong.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #18
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
why are you guys getting ECU updates/flashes?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,723, Level 66
Points: 9,723, Level: 66 Points: 9,723, Level: 66 Points: 9,723, Level: 66
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
why are you guys getting ECU updates/flashes?
They would be getting a flash under tsb 12-5-5

Quote:
TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii
I'm going to be doing this update to mine tomorrow as I've noticed a few of the quirks this one is supposed to correct. Cheers

2.0L GDI AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/29/2012

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 12-1-4 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, manual transmission and built on or before 2/29/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F, P2877, P00C6, P0607, P0457 and/or P06B8 and may be accompanied by engine drivability concerns. Refer to the calibration content for additional calibration details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 78.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Reset the Oil Minder, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission:

Intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative.
Engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults.
Intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) procedures.
Intermittent false initialization to 21 C (70 F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.
A/C performance at idle and high engine coolant temperature readings in cold ambient temperatures below 0 C (32 F) on vehicles equipped with automatic grill shutters (AGS).
Oil change minder not lighting up in instrument panel cluster (IPC) when vehicle surpasses 10,000 miles.
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THE VEHICLE'S OIL MINDER HAS BEEN RESET AND TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVAL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120505A 2012 Focus 2.0L GDI And Manual Transmission: Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM, Includes Time To Reset The Oil Change Minder (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
thank god I never had that happen, sorry fellas. At least its not leaking oil and blowing clutches up

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.