Stripped Caliper Bolt-AM I SCREWED ?? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50156
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 nekoashide Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry for the bump but i think i found a good solution for those of us in a hurry and wanted to share it, We had the exact same problem yesterday and we looked for hours for a 9x1.25 Helicoil kit to fix the stripped bolt hole but could not find anything. Dealer quoted $250 for a new steering knuckle and for us to replace the steering knuckle after a botched break job would suck, Our last stop was an O'riley auto parts store one guy we talked to on the phone said he had the correct Helicoil kit but when we arrived he thought we were just talking about having Helicoils in stock. Thankfully another parts guy stepped in and showed us a Dorman Help! Oversized brake caliper bolt (Part # 13894) right off the sales floor that matched up perfectly! The next time the caliper has to come off were getting a new knuckle but for today a $15 bolt saved the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #12
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
You won't have to replace the whole knuckle for that. All you would have to replace is the mounting bracket that the caliper connects to. The bracket connects onto the knuckle and the caliper mounts to the bracket. It's not one whole piece. It sounds like someone was trying to make some extra money off of you or you didn't describe it well enough to them.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
nekoashide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50156
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 nekoashide Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
You won't have to replace the whole knuckle for that. All you would have to replace is the mounting bracket that the caliper connects to. The bracket connects onto the knuckle and the caliper mounts to the bracket. It's not one whole piece. It sounds like someone was trying to make some extra money off of you or you didn't describe it well enough to them.
Was not well described for sure, I was planning on using my brothers tools to do the job but then he started taking over and i tagged along with the credit card. That's awsome it's just a bracket though, we were totally stumped by the whole thing.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
Als RS8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53271
What I Drive: maroon lx

FF Reputation: 1 Als RS8 Good Standing Member
is it a front or rear brake caliper?
if its front this is some steps to fallow!!
FRONT BRAKE CALIPER - REMOVEAL -OVERHAUL - AND INSTALATION

REMOVAL
1 Apply the parking brake, loosen the front wheel nuts, then jack up the
front of the vehicle and support it on axle stands. Remove the apropriate front wheel.
2 Install a brake hose clamp to the flexable hose leading to the caliper.This
willminimize brake fluid lossduring subsequuent operations.
3Loosen the union on the caliper end of the flexable brake hose.Once loosened do not try to unscrew the hose at this stage.
4Support the caliper in one hand and prevent the hydrolic hose from turning with the other hand. Unscrew the caliper from the hose,makeing sure that the hose is not twisted unduly or strained. once the caliper is detached, plug the open hydrolic fittings in the caliper and hose, to keep out dust and dirt.
5 if required the caliper carrier bracket can be {un bolted from the hub carrier}
OVERHAUL
note befor starting work, check on the availability of parts
6 with the caliper on the bench , brush away all traces of dust and dirt, but take care not to inhale any dust , as it is harmful to your health
7 pull the dust cover rubber seal from the end of the piston
8 apply low air pressure to the fluid intake union,to eject the piston. only low air pressure is required for this, such as is produced by a foot operated tire pump
9 using a suitable blunt instrument , pry the piston seal from the grove in the cylynder bore. Take care not to scratch the surface of the bore.
10 clean the brake piston and the caliper body with brake cleaner and allow the body to dry.examine the surfaces of the piston and cylinder bore for wear,damage and corrosion. if the piston alone is unserviceable a new caliper is to be bought. the seals must be replaced, regardless of condition of the other compneants
11coat the piston and seals with clean brake fluid, then manipulate the piston seal into the groove of the cylinder bore.
12 push the piston squarely into its bore,taking care not to damage the seal.
13 install the dust cover rubber sealinto the piston and caliper, then depress the piston fully.
INSTALLATION
14 install the caliper by reversing the removal operations. make sure the flexable brake hose is not twisted tighten the mounting bolts and wheel nuts to the specified torque ,i think this is where the installation with your project went wrong. sounds like a" caliper carrier bracket"
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
robertc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 45672
What I Drive: 2003 Light Tundra SE

FF Reputation: 1 robertc Good Standing Member
Als RS8, did you not read a darn thing in this thread? He doesn't need help removing/overhauling the caliper! If you would take time and read, you would also see that it's the front!
Garland, TX
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
lol holy thread revival Batman. robertc don't you realize that this thread was from over a month and a half ago? Just kidding man, I think all the problems were sorted out from before and Als RS8 was just trying to be helpful so it is understandable.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
trailbikerider
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50501
What I Drive: 2002 Granny Gold ZTS, 94 2.3 Ranger

FF Reputation: 14 trailbikerider Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I've done this too, and the next time I pull my calipers off, I'll have to have it fixed. I was going to suggest the Heli-coil, but it seems as it doesn't work.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
jhmolter
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102916
What I Drive: 2002 Blue focus

FF Reputation: 1 jhmolter Good Standing Member
does this mean 2002 focus also
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
curtisparker82
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108061
What I Drive: 2002 black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 curtisparker82 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecdon View Post
you won't have to replace the whole knuckle for that. All you would have to replace is the mounting bracket that the caliper connects to. The bracket connects onto the knuckle and the caliper mounts to the bracket. It's not one whole piece. It sounds like someone was trying to make some extra money off of you or you didn't describe it well enough to them.
if you don't have 4 wheel abs the caliper bracket is made to the knuckle...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
guys, the thread is 3 years old. make a new one if you have an issue

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->