Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT
Extremely Satisfied 42 49.41%
Satisfied 26 30.59%
Not Satisfied 7 8.24%
Extremely Disappointed 10 11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #71
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
You may want to shop around some because Gas Buddy shows approximately a 20 cent difference per gallon difference for Milwaukee WI between regular and premium which is similar to around here.
It's funny because I checked before I posted that - that's why I said "most". Because I rarely ever go out of my way to get gas unless it's ethanol-free. I work like 9 hours a day and have an hour commute both ways - after 11 hours I just want to get home and make out... maybe after the honeymoon stage I'll start taking my sweet time getting lost after work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #72
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
It's funny because I checked before I posted that - that's why I said "most". Because I rarely ever go out of my way to get gas unless it's ethanol-free.
Funny how? I mean what's funny about it?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #73
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
You're killing me.

EDIT: I think everyone really should shop around, though. I've found a Thornton's station in Illinois nets me 38-39mpg per tank on 93 and then I fill up at the BP and my gas mileage instantly drops to 33mpg. It's happened more than once and I think it's more than just a coincidence / weather / driving style changes.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #74
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,728, Level 66
Points: 9,728, Level: 66 Points: 9,728, Level: 66 Points: 9,728, Level: 66
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
You're killing me.

EDIT: I think everyone really should shop around, though. I've found a Thornton's station in Illinois nets me 38-39mpg per tank on 93 and then I fill up at the BP and my gas mileage instantly drops to 33mpg. It's happened more than once and I think it's more than just a coincidence / weather / driving style changes.
For consistancy's sake I've not been "shopping around" too much, but I'm not sure if that is helping or hurting in this case. The one tank of shell v-power I ran following many from the local BP didn't seem to net any positve reaction either. Either the regular fuel is actually always 93 octane (which would cost too much), the 93 octane isn't really 93 octane, or the computer is so sophisticated that it can tune out the differences and gain nor lose efficiency in the process?

Car has 8700+ miles now afaik. Original testing was done between 0-4200+ miles. Latest tests were these last few tanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #75
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
You're killing me.

That's the thing, there are big variations in gasoline octane quality between different stations and I don't necessarily mean between oil companies. I noticed that way back in the 80s when I had a VW GTI with a spark knock ignition. That car would vary the ignition timing alone but you could tell when you put premium in it because it would run better. Often times when you put premium in, it didn't run better so you knew that station was cr@p. Going even farther back, when I worked in a gas station they would often top up the premium tanks with regular when they ran out of premium on the delivery truck. So to me if I pay for premium and the car is not noticeably running better that station or maybe the distributor is dishonest. Sure there's other variables too like summer/winter gasoline blends but that variance you saw shouldn't happen going from one station to another in the same general time period.

Lest anyone think this thread has gone astray talking about gasoline, it really hasn't because it is now talking about driveability problems that the DCT is often blamed for but may not be directly attributable to the DCT.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #76
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

Points 751, Level 14
Points: 751, Level: 14 Points: 751, Level: 14 Points: 751, Level: 14
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
By design it's a manual but by operation it's still an automatic;if you aren't directly controlling the tranny it's an automatic in my book.
Automatics in my world have torque converters, and manuals have clutches.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #77
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,132, Level 40
Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40 Points: 4,132, Level: 40
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggy64 View Post
Automatics in my world have torque converters, and manuals have clutches.
I get that but if I can drive a car with the brake and a gas pedal and never touch the shifter than to put it into drive and a computer dictates shifting that sounds like it's shifting automatically for you and that's really the definition of automatic no matter what the internals are.

In my world I like to control the shift points manually and enjoy the more organic feeling of driving without too many electronic nannies stepping on my toes. I guess I'm old school and enjoy the rowing and more connected feeling to the car.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #78
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I think everyone really should shop around, though. I've found a Thornton's station in Illinois nets me 38-39mpg per tank on 93 and then I fill up at the BP and my gas mileage instantly drops to 33mpg. It's happened more than once and I think it's more than just a coincidence / weather / driving style changes.
I have found Shell V-Power gives me better mpg's and performance, I could not tell much difference in other brands premium vs regular. This video is a couple of years old but it was a comparo between BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax/rebranded now V-Power and regular gas. Of course I am sure the fuel they were testing was not contaminated with ethanol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQghB4asSnI
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #79
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Automatic or Manual

Here is another place Ford dropped the ball on the DCT by not emphasizing that the DCT is a computer automated 6 speed manual, and not a tradition torque converted automatic.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #80
vacman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107472
What I Drive: '13 5M white Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 vacman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Here is another place Ford dropped the ball on the DCT by not emphasizing that the DCT is a computer automated 6 speed manual, and not a tradition torque converted automatic.
I think they did that to keep the average buyer from balking at buying a focus or fiesta altogether. Most consumers just want to put it into drive and go, they don't give a crap how it goes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.