Cat delete pipe for 2002 ford focus - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And removing the cat would mak you actually lose power, not my ideaof a worth while mod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Has anyone had good outcomes with moving around the cat, tha has shown on a dyno the stock location usnt ideal for lowering restrictions and keeping underhood temps ideal

Last edited by 200two-zx3; 01-14-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: restating in other words

Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Removing the cat doesn't make you loose power, you can't move the stock one but you can move a universal one anywhere you want as long as it fits.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 67 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I am not sure, but I don't think that down pipe from the OBX will fit directly onto the stock manifold. And as far as my knowledge is, they never made a cat delete pipe for the regular Zetec. The SVT gets the off road pipe because it has it's catalytic converter underneath the motor instead of in front of it. You could always have an exhaust shop custom weld one for you but that might prove to be a bit costly.
It's a direct fit to the manifold. It's the same configuration as the stock cat.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
It's a direct fit to the manifold. It's the same configuration as the stock cat.
Ahh, ok. I thought it sat up a bit higher than stock manifold height. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
"...Removing the cat doesn't make you loose power..."

Yes, it does - but to be explicit, it does for 99% of your driving. When you remove the cat the computer goes into open loop all the time, and uses a suboptimal preprogrammed fuel curve - that curve does not matter at WOT of course. Also the loss of backpressure from the CAT reduces low end torque. Granted - you see a gain of high end HP at high RPM because of the lower back pressure and because at WOT the computer is basically dumping fuel in as fast as the engine can take it but the tradeoff is less low end torque.

Basically the only way it helps give you any HP at all by punching out the cat is if you drive around above 4-5K RPM at WOT all day long. Great if your drag racing - pretty terrible for most regular driving.

If you want to do it right, you delete the cat with a custom-welded exhaust, and replace the engine computer with a different one programmed for no cat. THAT is the only way a typical driver will see a HP increase by removing the cat. Incidentally, a cat with an intact honecomb fetches a hundred bucks from a platinum salvager so you definitely want to do it properly.

But, it won't gain you much HP. The exhaust system in the Focus is pretty damn good for a stock car.

Most people I know that do the punch-out on the cat are buffoons who already have something wrong with the car - their CEL is already on - and they go to Autozone and get the free OBD test, which tells them the cat is bad - and since they don't have the $200 for a new cat, nor the education to realize the problem isn't actually the cat it's something else, or tools to actually troubleshoot the car properly - they punch out a perfectly functioning cat then spend the next year trying to convince themselves that they "increased performance"

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 67 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You're forgetting about imaginary HP. Because the exhaust is louder, you stomp the gas all the time and think the car has more power.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboy View Post
Removing the cat doesn't make you loose power, you can't move the stock one but you can move a universal one anywhere you want as long as it fits.
Yes removing the cat will cause powerloss due to ur O2 sensor not being able to meter ur fuel trim level, when ur engine light is on ur car runs in a preset mode which won't provide the proper fuel air ratio

Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
"...Removing the cat doesn't make you loose power..."

Yes, it does - but to be explicit, it does for 99% of your driving. When you remove the cat the computer goes into open loop all the time, and uses a suboptimal preprogrammed fuel curve - that curve does not matter at WOT of course. Also the loss of backpressure from the CAT reduces low end torque. Granted - you see a gain of high end HP at high RPM because of the lower back pressure and because at WOT the computer is basically dumping fuel in as fast as the engine can take it but the tradeoff is less low end torque.

Basically the only way it helps give you any HP at all by punching out the cat is if you drive around above 4-5K RPM at WOT all day long. Great if your drag racing - pretty terrible for most regular driving.

If you want to do it right, you delete the cat with a custom-welded exhaust, and replace the engine computer with a different one programmed for no cat. THAT is the only way a typical driver will see a HP increase by removing the cat. Incidentally, a cat with an intact honecomb fetches a hundred bucks from a platinum salvager so you definitely want to do it properly.

But, it won't gain you much HP. The exhaust system in the Focus is pretty damn good for a stock car.

Most people I know that do the punch-out on the cat are buffoons who already have something wrong with the car - their CEL is already on - and they go to Autozone and get the free OBD test, which tells them the cat is bad - and since they don't have the $200 for a new cat, nor the education to realize the problem isn't actually the cat it's something else, or tools to actually troubleshoot the car properly - they punch out a perfectly functioning cat then spend the next year trying to convince themselves that they "increased performance"
You said it best I replied before I saw ur post +1 for u

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
There have been proven gains on the focus to show that it does gain power albeit small if still using a shorty header but bigger ones mainly due to the whole manifold being replaced by a long tube header, on the SVT removing the stock cat will not gain hp but you will gain tq has that motor is already pretty much maxed out from the factory. Just like the myth that a bigger exhaust will make you loose power as well is also false (for our cars at least) 3" exhaust has been shown to be the best, that's why we recommend 2.5" or bigger. Loosing power due to the O2's not being able to meter right is just boloney. Please read through our performance sticky threads before posting any other false information. Not every car is the same so don't assume that what goes for one car works on ours. Also when removing the cat it is a must to get a tune to correct any problems that may arise from the deleting it (like the CEL) plus it optimizes any other mods done to the car so you get the maximum benefit from them.

Performance sticky threads HERE

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks