Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT
Extremely Satisfied 42 49.41%
Satisfied 26 30.59%
Not Satisfied 7 8.24%
Extremely Disappointed 10 11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #61
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would have to vote extremely satisfied. I have almost 39K in my 2012 SEL 5dr and have never had any trouble. In fact once in a while. I like to put it in S mode and go through the gears myself, but most of the time I leave it in D. I did take it in for that update a few months ago even though I was not having any trouble and after the update I still have no issues with it and would not hesitate to buy another.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #62
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
It is a high compression engine 12:1, and high compression engines need higher octane fuel. I believe in Europe cars are required to be able to run on 87 due to high fuel prices. So Ford works the ECU and cam timing to make it run on 87. Doesn't mean it will run well. In reality, this is a premium only car, capable of running on 87. Most on here experience an increase in MPG that offsets the added cost of running premium, and in most cases cost less per mile.
This is one of the intended benefits of direct fuel injection: the evaporation of fuel directly injected into the combustion chamber cools the charge sufficiently to allow use of lower-octane gas in a high-compression engine. A 12:1 compression ratio engine would not work well or long with conventional port injection.

For what it's worth, I have noticed no real driveability/economy difference between premium and regular.

Last edited by dan50; 01-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #63
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post

For what it's worth, I have noticed no real driveability/economy difference between premium and regular.
Ditto. Tried both, did not see a meaningful difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #64
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post

I have, a few times I've gone back to filling up with regular and I start to get that hesitation on acceleration (that a lot of people blame the trans for) and it doesn't run as well at lower RPM. Some low RPM torque is definitely lost in my car when running on regular gas and it just doesn't run as smooth or as powerfully overall. Mid-grade is better than regular but premium makes it run so well that I always put it in now. I don't drive my car a great deal though, I have a separate company vehicle and therefore I've averaged less than 600 miles per month on the Focus since new so it's not a huge cumulative expense for me to run premium gasoline in it all the time.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #65
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,154, Level 41
Points: 4,154, Level: 41 Points: 4,154, Level: 41 Points: 4,154, Level: 41
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I've switched back and forth a few times for several tanks over the last 8 months to see what better suited me and as far as driveability I noticed no diff but I was getting better MPGs with premium but not a drastic amount diff but my car also sees very little highway and my wife's commute is only a little over a mile so it never really warms up til she's at work but still getting 27mpg.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #66
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Some low RPM torque is definitely lost in my car when running on regular gas and it just doesn't run as smooth or as powerfully overall.
This is where the MPG gains can be had. If you somewhat hypermile staying at the lower rpm's with premium the car will work well enough to see gains of 8-10%, at least that has been my experience. If you don't make attempts to short shift and stay in the lower rpm range, the gains from running premium will be negligible. I go back and forth with my driving style, but still run premium all the time.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #67
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,883, Level 66
Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66 Points: 9,883, Level: 66
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
This is where the MPG gains can be had. If you somewhat hypermile staying at the lower rpm's with premium the car will work well enough to see gains of 8-10%, at least that has been my experience. If you don't make attempts to short shift and stay in the lower rpm range, the gains from running premium will be negligible. I go back and forth with my driving style, but still run premium all the time.
My personal experience contradicts this finding. I've noted absolutely zero difference in terms of fuel efficiency when I try to drive reasonably in town with 87 octane vs 93 octane fuel as a result of the fuel itself. Certainly not 8-10%. Maybe not all the time, but generally when ever I was driving it manually I would especially tend to try to stay at or below 2000 rpm until 6th gear, and even with the car crawling along in 6th at 35 mph (1300 rpm or so) the car was fine.

It may well feel a touch more powerful (due to adjusting the variable camshaft timing in a more advanced/ aggressive manner), but it didn't seem to help the fuel efficiency any. The long term averages over close to 2000 miles on each fuel showed very little difference as an overall average per run.

That said I am experiementing with e10 93 octane again these last couple of tanks (blending in from 1/4th tank of e10 87) to see what the effects are in the cold, but it does cost a bit more per gallon.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #68
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
My personal experience contradicts this finding. I've noted absolutely zero difference in terms of fuel efficiency when I try to drive reasonably in town with 87 octane vs 93 octane fuel as a result of the fuel itself. Certainly not 8-10%. Maybe not all the time, but generally when ever I was driving it manually I would especially tend to try to stay at or below 2000 rpm until 6th gear, and even with the car crawling along in 6th at 35 mph (1300 rpm or so) the car was fine.

It may well feel a touch more powerful (due to adjusting the variable camshaft timing in a more advanced/ aggressive manner), but it didn't seem to help the fuel efficiency any. The long term averages over close to 2000 miles on each fuel showed very little difference as an overall average per run.

That said I am experimenting with e10 93 octane again these last couple of tanks (blending in from 1/4th tank of e10 87) to see what the effects are in the cold, but it does cost a bit more per gallon.
Great information. Imagine how good it would be if our gas had no ethanol in it.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #69
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50
Ditto. Tried both, did not see a meaningful difference.
Since last summer, after testing the 91 vs 87, I decided to go with 91. Why ? Because it seems to me the car has a bit more of a "punch" at "start up". It feels like it has more "vroom" (power) when pushed a bit harder from a Stop. It is true though, that to notice the clear difference I had to run two fill-ups of 91 back to back. Now, in winter, I decided to go for 89 octane fuel only because of the pricing and because I don't see the need to use 91. BUT, as soon as spring comes, I will go back to 91. I refiled it with 87 but I couldn't stand it and went back to 91.
I know that it may be only in my head, but for a person who likes "spirited driving" with his Focus, 91 octane is the way to go. For those who like to drive theirs like "grannies", with a lot of cautions about their mpg, 87 is just right.

P.S. I didn't see any mpg improvement in city driving 87 vs 91. For what is about highway driving mpg, I think it is a very marginal improvement. So, yes in this case, 87 or 91 is the same from my experience and fuelly.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #70
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

Points 653, Level 13
Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13 Points: 653, Level: 13
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Premium is starting to cost upwards of 40 cents more at most gas stations and I'm starting to think it's not worth it unless it's ethanol-free.
You may want to shop around some because Gas Buddy shows approximately a 20 cent difference per gallon difference for Milwaukee WI between regular and premium which is similar to around here. Generally if you wait until it's near empty and put ten gallons in that's a $2 difference per fill up or per 300+ miles and a lot of us spend more than that on our morning coffee everyday so it's not really an expensive experiment. Also, I've noticed that differences from running the different fuel grades are somewhat slow to register in my Fofe when changing from lower to higher grades. That could be from not getting prompted by spark knock. I suggest that people give it two or three fill-ups of premium before coming to a conclusion about differences in driveability. If you don't get an improvement after that I'd suspect someone is selling regular gasoline at premium prices.

http://www.milwaukeegasprices.com/

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.