Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT
Extremely Satisfied 42 49.41%
Satisfied 26 30.59%
Not Satisfied 7 8.24%
Extremely Disappointed 10 11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #51
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The only time I find the DCT unsatisfactory is in bumper-to-bumper traffic <5 mph. It is not smooth enough in this realm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #52
1rkRAGE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107519
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatch - Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 1rkRAGE Good Standing Member
mine's been smooth before and after the 12b37 update.

the first few 50 miles were a bit jerky in city traffic, but after the 5 hard accelerations and hard brakes, and 400 miles later, it's been very smooth.

overtaking on the expressway has never been more fun.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
The only time I find the DCT unsatisfactory is in bumper-to-bumper traffic <5 mph. It is not smooth enough in this realm.
It is a manual transmission, and I think Ford made it too smooth in this realm. Way too much slippage on the clutch pack, bound to kill longevity/service life of the clutch pack. The previous software was much better/less smooth, more like a real manual, in this realm, which is why Ford needs to offer the consumer choices in software for the DCT and get away from trying to make one size/software fit all.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #54
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
It is a manual transmission, and I think Ford made it too smooth in this realm. Way too much slippage on the clutch pack, bound to kill longevity/service life of the clutch pack. The previous software was much better/less smooth, more like a real manual, in this realm, which is why Ford needs to offer the consumer choices in software for the DCT and get away from trying to make one size/software fit all.
I agree. I much preferred the update of December 2011 over the 12B37 update
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #55
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggy64 View Post
I selected Satisfied - although Very Satisfied would have been my pick. Extremely Satisfied was too far of a reach for me :)

It's a DCT, it is not an automatic transmission. Maybe we should just call it what it is - a computer controlled manual?

By design it's a manual but by operation it's still an automatic;if you aren't directly controlling the tranny it's an automatic in my book.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #56
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
I had some intermittent glitches, had a very few (2 or 3) of the chattering occurrences in the heat of the summer but nothing like some have reported. I've had some rare odd shifting occasionally like odd downshifts but for the last few months it has just been shifting magnificently (knocking on wood here). I have attributed this to break-in as I now have around 5800 miles on the car but it could just as well be due to the colder weather too I suppose. I also have been running premium gasoline non-stop pretty much too which really straightens my car out running wise. Really though it has really been shifting perfectly since around October and I couldn't be happier with the performance of the DCT. I had the DCT update done sometime in the summer, don't remember exactly when but it was still very warm outside.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #57
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
I also have been running premium gasoline non-stop pretty much too which really straightens my car out running wise.
I think this was the cause of a lot of the DCT complaints. It wasn't really the DCT but the engine that was shuddering and stuttering with 87 octane. At least that was my experience, I now run premium only. The car runs better, better MPG, and overall a much better driving experience.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #58
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
If you have to run premium in this Focus engine to make it run right then you probably have a problem somewhere else since higher octane shouldn't be a band-aid.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #59
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
If you have to run premium in this Focus engine to make it run right then you probably have a problem somewhere else since higher octane shouldn't be a band-aid.
It is a high compression engine 12:1, and high compression engines need higher octane fuel. I believe in Europe cars are required to be able to run on 87 due to high fuel prices. So Ford works the ECU and cam timing to make it run on 87. Doesn't mean it will run well. In reality, this is a premium only car, capable of running on 87. Most on here experience an increase in MPG that offsets the added cost of running premium, and in most cases cost less per mile.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #60
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Most on here experience an increase in MPG that offsets the added cost of running premium, and in most cases cost less per mile.
I've only noticed this during the hot summer months. I'm running 87 now that it's winter and my gas mileage has only dropped 1mpg at the most. Premium is starting to cost upwards of 40 cents more at most gas stations and I'm starting to think it's not worth it unless it's ethanol-free.

Bookmarks & Social Networks