Tested 2013 ST - Kept my 05 ST - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #71
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And really cheap to do. A switch and a relay and just splice it into the fuel pump wiring and your ready to not go anywhere. I had one omy Eclipse and of course on the very desireble Type R I had and I even have one on my 4Runner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #72
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
On my older cars I always installed a hidden fuel pump switch so no matter how much technology a "smart" thief might have there was no way he was taking it without any fuel.
Max, is that you?

Last of the V8 interceptors... A piece of history!
Would've been a shame to blow it up.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #73
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Lol,one of my favorite movie cars and it was nice to see it made it a ways into Road Warrior.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #74
Focus_on_Christ
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96197
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST California Special

FF Reputation: 1 Focus_on_Christ Good Standing Member
Sorry to resurrect a dead topic, but I got to drive the new ST yesterday and wanted to share my experience. Note: I also drive a 2005 ST.

After reading this article, and all the articles from Car and Driver, Road and track, etc; I have been real interested in taking this car out for a ride. Unfortunately, my normal commute never takes me by a Ford Dealership when I actually have the time to spare. But I was in Milford yesterday and saw that Tangerine Orange from miles away.

As I go into the dealership, I talk to the first salesman that approaches me and tell him I would like to test the ST. He obviously asks me what kind of car I drive, and I tell him the original ST, and he starts telling me how the old ST was just a body kit. So, right off, the guy starts by offending me. Not a good way to get a sale, especially since the ST did not come with a body kit, as all of us know. (Yes, there are some with the street appearance package, but that doesn't mean that it is an ST.)

So, I get another sales guy and we go for a ride. I think all of us would agree the ST looks good. Racaros feel just like they should, all the little appearance stuff that separates it as an ST were there. But then we take it for a drive. And it was fine. Not WOW, and not really "cool." We got to do 2 0-60s, and while the car was fast, it just wasn't ... what I expected. The first time I even smiled when driving it was after turning the traction control off!

I feel bad for the poor sales man. He really let me drive the vehicle, only for me to just shrug at it.

I think I figured out why I didn't just drool over it like so many other people are: It felt like an ST. Yeah, it is a great car and going from an S, Titanium, or whatever you are in it probably does feel like a huge increase. But the fact of the matter is that I already drive an ST and love it. It didn't raise the bar for me in terms of the drive and ride, it met the bar. I got back in my ST and enjoyed the ride home.

I had to share my experience with the new ST. Sorry again for bringing back a dead topic, but I had to get it off my chest.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #75
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_on_Christ View Post
Sorry to resurrect a dead topic, but I got to drive the new ST yesterday and wanted to share my experience. Note: I also drive a 2005 ST.

After reading this article, and all the articles from Car and Driver, Road and track, etc; I have been real interested in taking this car out for a ride. Unfortunately, my normal commute never takes me by a Ford Dealership when I actually have the time to spare. But I was in Milford yesterday and saw that Tangerine Orange from miles away.

As I go into the dealership, I talk to the first salesman that approaches me and tell him I would like to test the ST. He obviously asks me what kind of car I drive, and I tell him the original ST, and he starts telling me how the old ST was just a body kit. So, right off, the guy starts by offending me. Not a good way to get a sale, especially since the ST did not come with a body kit, as all of us know. (Yes, there are some with the street appearance package, but that doesn't mean that it is an ST.)

So, I get another sales guy and we go for a ride. I think all of us would agree the ST looks good. Racaros feel just like they should, all the little appearance stuff that separates it as an ST were there. But then we take it for a drive. And it was fine. Not WOW, and not really "cool." We got to do 2 0-60s, and while the car was fast, it just wasn't ... what I expected. The first time I even smiled when driving it was after turning the traction control off!

I feel bad for the poor sales man. He really let me drive the vehicle, only for me to just shrug at it.

I think I figured out why I didn't just drool over it like so many other people are: It felt like an ST. Yeah, it is a great car and going from an S, Titanium, or whatever you are in it probably does feel like a huge increase. But the fact of the matter is that I already drive an ST and love it. It didn't raise the bar for me in terms of the drive and ride, it met the bar. I got back in my ST and enjoyed the ride home.

I had to share my experience with the new ST. Sorry again for bringing back a dead topic, but I had to get it off my chest.
Technically you have the first car they badged in the U.S. as an "ST" however it was not the original Focus ST sold in the U.S. which was actually badged as the SVT Focus (ST170 as it was known in Europe)

Quote:
Following discontinuation of the North American SVT Focus in 2004, Ford introduced the ST variant of the ZX4 for 2005–2007, with a 2.3-litre, 151 hp (113 kW) (154 lbfft (209 Nm) (SAE) Torque) Duratec driving a five-speed MTX-75 manual transmission with reverse lock-out. Though power was lower than the SVT, acceleration was only slightly lower due to a higher differential ratio. The 2005 ST used dampers and stabilizer bars similar to those of the SVT, but significantly softer springs. The ST featured a unique interior, 16-inch (410 mm) wheels with Pirelli P6 Four Seasons tires, four-wheel disc brakes, spoiler, color-keyed fascia, a color keyed grille, and four-wheel anti-lock disk brakes. The 2005 ST included all SES package equipment — with heated seats, heated mirrors, leather interior, moonroof, and Audiophile package controlled by a Blaupunkt headunit all optional. 2007 was the final year for the 2.3 L engine in the Focus. For the 2006 and 2007 ST's the suspension geometry was changed to provide a softer ride.
Per the wiki the specifications of the ST don't sound that impressive on paper, but I'm sure keeping a paid for car that runs good is justification enough for not taking the plunge.

The 2013+ ST is much more refined and powerful than the older Foci were, but it does still respect its heritage.

I guess as the old addage goes some people prefer to drive slow cars fast. The new ST isn't necessarily as fast as a Mustang GT or V6, but the European Focus RS was certainly much closer to the edge of what is technically possible out of a high performance FWD car. (300+ hp from the RS, and close to 350 from the RS500).

Having ridden in a 2003 Focus at least once or twice (which is on the same chassis as the 2005 through the 2011 MY), as well as having driven several 2009 and 2011 models I was not impressed at all with the poor build quality and the lousy 4F27E automatic transmission.

The cars did ride solidly enough, but everything you felt or touched felt badly made, like Ford had given up in North America on small cars until the 2012+ Focus came roaring onto our shores.

Personally I understand that love is blind, and that if you love a car it's harder to give it up. If you're happy with your old ST then so-be-it. Enjoy it. I know I'll enjoy my 2013 even more than I already enjoyed my old SEL.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #76
Fociphaeton
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80543
What I Drive: 2005 Innocent Gray ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Fociphaeton Good Standing Member
Former 05 ST Owner

Originally I stated my opinion about the new 13 Focus ST. Heavier, pricier, required 92 octane, somewhat faster etc etc.
Ultimately, I bought a 13 Fusion Hybrid with minimal accessories. Upgraded the rear sway bar to the 30% stiffer Steeda piece with urethane bushings. Purchased a current 2013 "ST" badge on E Bay and applied it on the front grill a 'la Focus ST. Maybe I'm getting demented, but, the Fusion is fun ... and I'm getting an honest 42 mpg ... sticker on the Fusion was $30k and the dealer was nice enough to credit me $7k on my 05 Focus ST with 103,000 miles. The Fusion is a totally different car that doesn't pretend its anything but what it is. Just like the "original" 05 Focus ST. The cabin is very quiet inside and it handles the roundabouts nicely with the upgraded sway bar. If you like playing pin ball, you will enjoy the constantly updated mileage numbers and the "braking coach" which is sort of like a double bonus ... you get extra regnerated electricity by gently braking and minimizing the friction braking. The car's computer tracks your "lifetime" mileage average, total miles driven, how many miles were in Electric Vehicle mode (mine is running around 40% of the total) and a lifetime braking score (zero to 100% -- mine is running 96%). So if you find a used one, you can easily tell how it was driven. I do goose it now and then, but like "tilting" the pin ball machine, the satisfaction is fleeting ... nevertheless, it happens when I feel the need to put pedal to the metal.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #77
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fociphaeton View Post
Originally I stated my opinion about the new 13 Focus ST. Heavier, pricier, required 92 octane, somewhat faster etc etc.
Ultimately, I bought a 13 Fusion Hybrid with minimal accessories. Upgraded the rear sway bar to the 30% stiffer Steeda piece with urethane bushings. Purchased a current 2013 "ST" badge on E Bay and applied it on the front grill a 'la Focus ST. Maybe I'm getting demented, but, the Fusion is fun ... and I'm getting an honest 42 mpg ... sticker on the Fusion was $30k and the dealer was nice enough to credit me $7k on my 05 Focus ST with 103,000 miles. The Fusion is a totally different car that doesn't pretend its anything but what it is. Just like the "original" 05 Focus ST. The cabin is very quiet inside and it handles the roundabouts nicely with the upgraded sway bar. If you like playing pin ball, you will enjoy the constantly updated mileage numbers and the "braking coach" which is sort of like a double bonus ... you get extra regnerated electricity by gently braking and minimizing the friction braking. The car's computer tracks your "lifetime" mileage average, total miles driven, how many miles were in Electric Vehicle mode (mine is running around 40% of the total) and a lifetime braking score (zero to 100% -- mine is running 96%). So if you find a used one, you can easily tell how it was driven. I do goose it now and then, but like "tilting" the pin ball machine, the satisfaction is fleeting ... nevertheless, it happens when I feel the need to put pedal to the metal.
That is quite an odd juxtaposition jumping from the old Focus ST to a Hybrid Fusion.

If you wanted to put the "ST" Badge on the Fusion it really needed to have the 2.0 L EcoBoost engine to make any sort of sense, but since it's your car and you like it you might as well do what you like to it.

Oh and by the way the ST from the factory would run all day long on 87 octane regular unleaded fuel. I don't know who told you otherwise. It just makes 243 hp vs 252 hp on 93 octane fuel. Were you really going to notice 9 horsepower?

The Fusion is nice too, although it is as you said a completely different class of car. Larger and more comfortable than sporty. The hybrid thrives on relaxed cruising.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #78
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have a mazda6 which is basically a more expensive, better equipt fusion. Although I haven't driven a ST, its day and night over a focus and I'm glad with my decision.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #79
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Better equipped then a new fusion?

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Because Street Car
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #80
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
I have a mazda6 which is basically a more expensive, better equipt fusion. Although I haven't driven a ST, its day and night over a focus and I'm glad with my decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBomb View Post
Better equipped then a new fusion?

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Because Street Car
In his dreams it is.

The old 6 was a fair car, but the game has moved on several times already.

However this is continuing to stray further from the topic of keeping one's old car, although the O.P. did jump from an 05 Focus to a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid instead of staying in a Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->