Lincoln MKC Concept (Based on the Ford Escape) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
FFTeam
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lincoln MKC Concept (Based on the Ford Escape)

Lincoln pulled the cover off a concept crossover dubbed the MKC on Sunday morning ahead of the Detroit Auto Show. But don't put too much stock in the whole "concept" part.

Based on the same platform that underpins the compact Ford Escape crossover, the MKC will almost certainly be the next release from Lincoln.

Though Lincoln called the concept merely an "indication of a future Lincoln product," a production version of the MKC would likely look nearly identical and go on sale within a year. That would follow Lincoln's modus operandi at last year's Detroit Auto Show, when it showed off a "concept" of the MKZ sedan -- a production version of which is on sale now.

Also telling is the near-production quality of this concept's interior. While some concepts feature outlandish designs and materials unfit for actual production, the inside of the MKC is a near carbon-copy of other production Lincolns on the market today. This includes the touch screen navigation system and the console-mounted transmission shift buttons.

The concept also features upscale interior touches such as genuine wood trim infused with metallic flakes, embroidered leather seats, and chrome accents.

Lincoln was mum on the MKC's powertrain options, but it's likely the base engine would be some form of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine that's in the premium level Ford Escape. In that application, the engine makes 240 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque. It's paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and comes in either front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive applications.

Even though the MKC will share a platform and likely at least one engine variant with the lesser Ford Escape, Lincoln was quick to point out that the vehicles had little in common.

"We are not rebadging vehicles," said Kate Pearce, Lincoln's marketing manager, in an interview ahead of the MKC's Monday reveal. "We are building them from the ground up. They really aren't anything like one another."

Pearce said the MKC was the first vehicle to be designed in Lincoln's all-new design studio in Dearborn, Mich. Max Wolff, Lincoln's design director, was the pen behind the vehicle's look.

That design shares much of its DNA with the front of the current MKZ sedan, including what Lincoln calls the split-wing grille. The MKC concept flanks this grille with narrow LED headlights.

At the back, the sleek LED taillights extend horizontally across the large lift gate. The modern look is one of the more handsome designs to come out of any Lincoln studio in recent memory.

Assuming it's produced, Lincoln expects the MKC to compete against other premium compact SUVs, such as the Mercedes-Benz GLK350 and the Audi Q5. Lincoln is keen to jump into this segment, saying that sales of small luxury SUVs grew by almost 60% in 2012 alone and more than 200% in the last four years.

This is just one of four segments Lincoln hopes to enter with all-new products over the next four years. The Chinese market is also a factor in the company's expanding product lineup; Lincoln says its vehicles will go on sale there in the second half of 2014.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
2002greenzx3
Not so green zx3

Fan#: 69341
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 2002greenzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
that actually looks pretty good.

Hatch Nation Member #21
Zetec Crew #347
Old 01-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
TheDriver916
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96977
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 TheDriver916 Good Standing Member
That roof is godly.. I'd be surprised if they were able to make that on the real one considering all the safety standards and everything.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Color me impressed.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I am surprised FoMoCo hasn't dropped the Lincoln brand completely.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...b-11e7b56ea6fb

Lincoln sold 82,150 cars in 2012
Ford sold 245,000 Focus, and 260,000 Escapes

(the sales numbers are interesting, most every car I like didn't sell worth a crap)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
pyroinsa
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 58 pyroinsa Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver916 View Post
That roof is godly.. I'd be surprised if they were able to make that on the real one considering all the safety standards and everything.
This.

No way would that roof ever make it out of the concept, they also forgot the doorhandles lol
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Stlouis1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104278
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Titanium 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Stlouis1 Good Standing Member
Glass roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver916 View Post
Don't they put a full glass roof on Mustangs already?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Looks great.

Will this one catch fire as well?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

Join the cause! 3 Door Fords for America! facebook.com/3DRS4US

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
interesting. i want to see the Lincoln version of the Focus that was spotted recently
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Everything is great- except that I detest full glass roofs, and yes, those are available now. It just seems crazy to me. I have had convertibles, and sunroof cars. On my ZXW which has a factory sunroof- I have never driven around with the glass not covered up. There's just no insulation other than what can be laminated into a piece of glass. It doesn't seem safe- at all, and it's definitely heavier than what is safe which is why this trend strikes me as crazy. Of course, I feel the same way about oversized wheels, but somebody has made a ton of money installing $100 worth of blocks to lift the $2k car so the $8k wheels will fit.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks