What have you done to increase MPG? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
piranha971
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90342
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Sport 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 piranha971 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here is what NOT to do if you are looking to improve fuel economy: get rid of the rear muffler.
Leave it alone. Its there to create back pressure and improve fuel economy and doesn't do much muffling. I would say replacing just the rear muffler with a straight through Borla cost me 2mpg with no noticeable difference in performance. The car sounds right, though. I just could not stand the total silence of the stock exhaust..... And that ugly pipe in the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #42
Dollar Bill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92917
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, 5 Speed S Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Dollar Bill Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
Any gas savings will be lost because the tires will need to be replaced sooner due to faster tire wear. Also, over inflated tires decrease handling and stopping ability because there is less tire contact with the road.
I have 15" conti tires that have a max cold psi at 51. So how would 44 psi be over inflated or have less contact with the road?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #43
dino3721
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94306
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Ford Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dino3721 Good Standing Member
I have a 2002 Focus Wagon 5-speed DOHC. I bought the EconoDriver from Lamurmonitors. It is a simple aftermarket MPG monitor. It was $19. Easy install- plugs into the OBD connector and is wireless. I have monitored my mileage for about 8 months. I get 29 mpg in city and $33-36 mpg on the interstate. I have gotten 37mpg a few times.

I have found that 10% ethanol gas works best. I keep the car very well maintained. The first 10 min of driving are the worst- then mileage improves. I drive 75 mph on the interstate. I do see if I get behind a semi my mileage goes way up. I don't have to tailgate just use them as a wind block.

I like the monitor. It has a 5 leaf indicator on the monitor that has taught me the best driving patterns. Besides changing all the filters, and I changed the gas cap, tires at 32 psi, and I run Lucus fuel injector cleaner every 5- 10 tanks- I have been very happy with my mileage. I highly recommend the monitor. And It is portable so I use it on the other cars as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #44
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,563, Level 65
Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65 Points: 9,563, Level: 65
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
I have 15" conti tires that have a max cold psi at 51. So how would 44 psi be over inflated or have less contact with the road?
Technically that's the maximum cold inflation pressure for the tire, but the specified pressure for the O.E. tire on the car per the vehicle manufacturer is the number they expect you to go by for over vs under inflation to the vehicle manufacturer's specification. So at 44 psig you're at least 9 psig over inflated if Ford specified a max cold inflation pressure of 35 psig for what they determined to be the best compromise of ride and handling. Now will the tire blow up at 44 psig if its rated to 51 psig cold with the margin for inflating a bit when heated up, not likely, but will it ride the same as it does at the vehicle manufacturer's set point? No, but is it dangerous, that depends on who you ask.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

Points 216, Level 4
Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
i have 16" contitouringcontact on mine when i fill them i always run 44psi ,haven't noticed a difference in ride or wear yet(but my suspension is messed up FORD can't figure out why),don't go over 44 ride gets really bad
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,713, Level 94
Points: 23,713, Level: 94 Points: 23,713, Level: 94 Points: 23,713, Level: 94
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha971 View Post
Here is what NOT to do if you are looking to improve fuel economy: get rid of the rear muffler.
Leave it alone. Its there to create back pressure and improve fuel economy and doesn't do much muffling. I would say replacing just the rear muffler with a straight through Borla cost me 2mpg with no noticeable difference in performance. The car sounds right, though. I just could not stand the total silence of the stock exhaust..... And that ugly pipe in the back.
This is a misconception about exhaust systems. A backpressure increase will not help an engine get better fuel mileage due to the fact that the engine now has to work harder to remove the spent gases. Creating as close to a near-zero backpressure system is the way to go in order to minimize pumping losses and maximize the scavenging effect.

Obviously, this is the most retardedly short version due to the fact that there are multiple variables in creating the perfect exhaust. Not coincidentally, the perfect exhaust for fuel mileage is not going to be the same as the perfect exhaust for power or even for sound.

It's interesting that you say you lost mpg's by replacing the muffler, as my dyno diagnostic work has shown that power is not affected by it's removal. Judging by the timeframe of your post, I would be more willing to bet that your replacement occurred around the time that fuel stations went to a winter blend.
2014 FiST-
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #47
Dalamar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94696
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatch Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 Dalamar Good Standing Member
I picked up a 2012 se hatch with sport package in blue candy last friday for 16500 OTD with 17113 miles on it...and since i drive alot for work....

anyway I've put 1387 miles on it in one week.

when i bought it I put the tire psi at 40 all the way around and on the highway keep it at 55 mph, use cruise constantly, never accelerate quickly (under 2k rpms) and after 1300 miles it claims i'm getting

44.5 MPG I do probably 60% highway

it was showing 49.2 but i got caught in non moving traffic for almost an hour today and it dropped, i would have shut it off, but I live in Florida and I needed the A/C.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
Diamondback
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108100
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Diamondback Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
This is a misconception about exhaust systems. A backpressure increase will not help an engine get better fuel mileage due to the fact that the engine now has to work harder to remove the spent gases. Creating as close to a near-zero backpressure system is the way to go in order to minimize pumping losses and maximize the scavenging effect.

Obviously, this is the most retardedly short version due to the fact that there are multiple variables in creating the perfect exhaust. Not coincidentally, the perfect exhaust for fuel mileage is not going to be the same as the perfect exhaust for power or even for sound.

It's interesting that you say you lost mpg's by replacing the muffler, as my dyno diagnostic work has shown that power is not affected by it's removal. Judging by the timeframe of your post, I would be more willing to bet that your replacement occurred around the time that fuel stations went to a winter blend.
His mileage more than likely dropped because he keeps romping on it in the belief everybody enjoys the the sound of his fart can muffler.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #49
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
I bought mine because it does get relatively great mpg, but it also allows me to ENJOY driving it spirited and still get 27-29 mpg. So I drive around with a smile on my face while all the Mustang and Camaro owners try to avoid hitting their gas pedals too hard.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #50
trooper T/diesel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111147
What I Drive: fixing SOHC focus, DDer 86 D troper

Points 301, Level 6
Points: 301, Level: 6 Points: 301, Level: 6 Points: 301, Level: 6
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 trooper T/diesel Good Standing Member
ive found that on most autos, that even when the A\C is set to off. that if the air control is set to defrost or floor/defrost, its running the A\C to remove condsashon from the air.

only when its in a VENT mode or all to the floor is the A\C not going to run.

to prove my point, (on a rainy day) set it to floor, and A\C off.
in many modern autos the front window will fog up.

if you dont change the settings opening a window is the only way to pump out the damp air.

oh yea also the reticulated air mode will not work in the all air to floor setting in most autos...do to the A\C not running in that spot, unless you turn it on.

so in short, if you really want the A\C off pull the wire on the compressor LOL

Bookmarks & Social Networks