Rear end feels loose - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Standby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86505
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Standby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear end feels loose

ok so i have had some issues with my 2012 focus. got it in june 2011.

grinding in the tranny had to have the clutches replaced at 18k noticed the noise around 13k just ignored it. (auto tranny)

now the dealer told me i needed my tires rotated and an alignment done i said do it. i got my car back and no when i hit little bumps it feel like the back end slides or shimmys. brought it in 3 times the never could feel it. yet they never took it out of there parking lot. 3rd time tho i made them come for a ride and they felt it. not only the mechanic but the sales adviser felt it too. they described it to me as the back end feels on ice. they had my car for 8 days called me said its done i go in and pick it up they tell me theres nothing they can do its how it just is... are you kidding me? ive been driving this car for 1.5 years now and not till they started messing around with it did the shimmy happen. everyone the enters my car feels it. so now my deal has sent me on my way with a car that they describe has "back end on ice" yea thanks.

this feeling happens over the smaller bumps like sewer grates and stuff.

anyone with any ideas that can help me out? i dont even want this car anymore if i have to drive with this back end on ice feeling.

Thanks

also they have done 3 alignments after the problem came

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standby View Post
ok so i have had some issues with my 2012 focus. got it in june 2011.

grinding in the tranny had to have the clutches replaced at 18k noticed the noise around 13k just ignored it. (auto tranny)

now the dealer told me i needed my tires rotated and an alignment done i said do it. i got my car back and no when i hit little bumps it feel like the back end slides or shimmys. brought it in 3 times the never could feel it. yet they never took it out of there parking lot. 3rd time tho i made them come for a ride and they felt it. not only the mechanic but the sales adviser felt it too. they described it to me as the back end feels on ice. they had my car for 8 days called me said its done i go in and pick it up they tell me theres nothing they can do its how it just is... are you kidding me? ive been driving this car for 1.5 years now and not till they started messing around with it did the shimmy happen. everyone the enters my car feels it. so now my deal has sent me on my way with a car that they describe has "back end on ice" yea thanks.

this feeling happens over the smaller bumps like sewer grates and stuff.

anyone with any ideas that can help me out? i dont even want this car anymore if i have to drive with this back end on ice feeling.

Thanks

also they have done 3 alignments after the problem came
I have a may'11 build SEL bought in jun '11 and have had all the DCT updates and no problems thankfully. As for the rear suspension i cannot say i have experienced what u are but do feel the rear end is , overall, loose and jiggly feeling.....unplanted, lack of good stick 'em road contact. I switched tires ditching the oem contis and got conti dws in the same size and put in a Steeda rear sway bar. Made all the difference in the world. Car handles/corners much better, no more "loose" rear end, car feels way more planted. Very pleased.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Standby
Focus Rookie

I will look into the steeda and new tire. Thanks.

I've also had all the dct updates and everything but still ended up the the grinding noises which was the worn out clutches
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How many miles on the tires?

Considering it happened right after a rotation, it could very well be the tires being very worn, and the rears (which used to be on the front, and could very well be much more worn) are now on the rear and can't grip well.

Especially if it's the stock tires, they don't perform too well when the tread gets low.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Standby
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
How many miles on the tires?

Considering it happened right after a rotation, it could very well be the tires being very worn, and the rears (which used to be on the front, and could very well be much more worn) are now on the rear and can't grip well.

Especially if it's the stock tires, they don't perform too well when the tread gets low.
I had the tires rotated back. The more tread is on the back now.

23000kms so I think 14.3k miles stock tires
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
i kind of had same problem felt like rear was pushing car sideways,have they checked the tires, dealer suggested getting tires "road force balanced" it will show if theres a bad cord in tires, it balances the tire under load; alot better then spin balance. it helped that problem(may 2011 build )
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Standby
Focus Rookie

They did a road force balance and said everything seemed fine
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Any problems noticed after a dealership works on your car either don't exist or are normal.

At least that's what I've been told.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Standby
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Any problems noticed after a dealership works on your car either don't exist or are normal.

At least that's what I've been told.
Haha yea I had my headliner replaced because you could see glue stains on it they destroyed my inside using a knife to pry the clip covers. And they slipped and cut down my rear window tint about 6 inch. Apparently they didn't do that even tho it was 2 inches from a clip they mangled up. Meanless to say a once I started flipping out and told them to cancel the 1500$ f150 seat my dad ordered the week before. My window tint and all the clips got replaced
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Broken, cracked, etc. sway bar bushings and end links. I had the same thing happen to my MINI Cooper and the dealer couldn't figure it out. They replaced the rear sway bar linkage and the problem was solved.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->