Rear end feels loose - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Standby
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86505
Location: Windsor, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Sport

Posts: 9
FF Reputation: 1 Standby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear end feels loose

ok so i have had some issues with my 2012 focus. got it in june 2011.

grinding in the tranny had to have the clutches replaced at 18k noticed the noise around 13k just ignored it. (auto tranny)

now the dealer told me i needed my tires rotated and an alignment done i said do it. i got my car back and no when i hit little bumps it feel like the back end slides or shimmys. brought it in 3 times the never could feel it. yet they never took it out of there parking lot. 3rd time tho i made them come for a ride and they felt it. not only the mechanic but the sales adviser felt it too. they described it to me as the back end feels on ice. they had my car for 8 days called me said its done i go in and pick it up they tell me theres nothing they can do its how it just is... are you kidding me? ive been driving this car for 1.5 years now and not till they started messing around with it did the shimmy happen. everyone the enters my car feels it. so now my deal has sent me on my way with a car that they describe has "back end on ice" yea thanks.

this feeling happens over the smaller bumps like sewer grates and stuff.

anyone with any ideas that can help me out? i dont even want this car anymore if i have to drive with this back end on ice feeling.

Thanks

also they have done 3 alignments after the problem came


Standby is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
cobie56
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standby View Post
ok so i have had some issues with my 2012 focus. got it in june 2011.

grinding in the tranny had to have the clutches replaced at 18k noticed the noise around 13k just ignored it. (auto tranny)

now the dealer told me i needed my tires rotated and an alignment done i said do it. i got my car back and no when i hit little bumps it feel like the back end slides or shimmys. brought it in 3 times the never could feel it. yet they never took it out of there parking lot. 3rd time tho i made them come for a ride and they felt it. not only the mechanic but the sales adviser felt it too. they described it to me as the back end feels on ice. they had my car for 8 days called me said its done i go in and pick it up they tell me theres nothing they can do its how it just is... are you kidding me? ive been driving this car for 1.5 years now and not till they started messing around with it did the shimmy happen. everyone the enters my car feels it. so now my deal has sent me on my way with a car that they describe has "back end on ice" yea thanks.

this feeling happens over the smaller bumps like sewer grates and stuff.

anyone with any ideas that can help me out? i dont even want this car anymore if i have to drive with this back end on ice feeling.

Thanks

also they have done 3 alignments after the problem came
I have a may'11 build SEL bought in jun '11 and have had all the DCT updates and no problems thankfully. As for the rear suspension i cannot say i have experienced what u are but do feel the rear end is , overall, loose and jiggly feeling.....unplanted, lack of good stick 'em road contact. I switched tires ditching the oem contis and got conti dws in the same size and put in a Steeda rear sway bar. Made all the difference in the world. Car handles/corners much better, no more "loose" rear end, car feels way more planted. Very pleased.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Standby
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86505
Location: Windsor, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Sport

Posts: 9
FF Reputation: 1 Standby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I will look into the steeda and new tire. Thanks.

I've also had all the dct updates and everything but still ended up the the grinding noises which was the worn out clutches
Standby is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,722
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How many miles on the tires?

Considering it happened right after a rotation, it could very well be the tires being very worn, and the rears (which used to be on the front, and could very well be much more worn) are now on the rear and can't grip well.

Especially if it's the stock tires, they don't perform too well when the tread gets low.
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Standby
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86505
Location: Windsor, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Sport

Posts: 9
FF Reputation: 1 Standby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
How many miles on the tires?

Considering it happened right after a rotation, it could very well be the tires being very worn, and the rears (which used to be on the front, and could very well be much more worn) are now on the rear and can't grip well.

Especially if it's the stock tires, they don't perform too well when the tread gets low.
I had the tires rotated back. The more tread is on the back now.

23000kms so I think 14.3k miles stock tires
Standby is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
sgmfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101095
Location: charles town, WV
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

Posts: 187
FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i kind of had same problem felt like rear was pushing car sideways,have they checked the tires, dealer suggested getting tires "road force balanced" it will show if theres a bad cord in tires, it balances the tire under load; alot better then spin balance. it helped that problem(may 2011 build )
sgmfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Standby
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86505
Location: Windsor, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Sport

Posts: 9
FF Reputation: 1 Standby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They did a road force balance and said everything seemed fine
Standby is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Strix
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85696
Location: Northville, MI
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Posts: 577
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Any problems noticed after a dealership works on your car either don't exist or are normal.

At least that's what I've been told.
Strix is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Standby
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86505
Location: Windsor, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SE Sport

Posts: 9
FF Reputation: 1 Standby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Any problems noticed after a dealership works on your car either don't exist or are normal.

At least that's what I've been told.
Haha yea I had my headliner replaced because you could see glue stains on it they destroyed my inside using a knife to pry the clip covers. And they slipped and cut down my rear window tint about 6 inch. Apparently they didn't do that even tho it was 2 inches from a clip they mangled up. Meanless to say a once I started flipping out and told them to cancel the 1500$ f150 seat my dad ordered the week before. My window tint and all the clips got replaced
Standby is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast
 
Joey D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86391
Location: Caledonia, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

Posts: 537
FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Broken, cracked, etc. sway bar bushings and end links. I had the same thing happen to my MINI Cooper and the dealer couldn't figure it out. They replaced the rear sway bar linkage and the problem was solved.
Joey D is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.