Automatic Climate Control Problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
mrpostman
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95963
Location: Toronto, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Posts: 14
FF Reputation: 1 mrpostman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Automatic Climate Control Problem

I have a 2012 Titanium with the digital automatic climate control. The system was working perfectly since day one until 3 weeks ago when I did not drive the car for 11 days. Usually when I press auto, the fans come on with hesitation (maybe after a minute so the blowing air is not freezing). Now if the vehicle is not driven say the entire weekend, on Monday morning when I press auto I do not get any fans coming on even at full operating temperature. The display on the climate control is on bu even at full operating temperature, no fans are blowing air. To get the fans on, I would have to manually adjust the fan speed. If I press auto after getting the fans on manually, everything works fine. I took the car into the dealer last week and of course they could not repeat the problem since it only happens when the car is not driven for a couple of days. They said everything was fine according to the tests they ran and that the fans will not come on immediately since the air is cold. This I knew. I video taped the problem earlier this week when it occurred to show the dealer when I go in next week. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any idea what it could be?


mrpostman is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
e30og
Focus Enthusiast
 
e30og's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83765
Location: Baltimore, MD
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

Posts: 533
FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpostman View Post
I have a 2012 Titanium with the digital automatic climate control. The system was working perfectly since day one until 3 weeks ago when I did not drive the car for 11 days. Usually when I press auto, the fans come on with hesitation (maybe after a minute so the blowing air is not freezing). Now if the vehicle is not driven say the entire weekend, on Monday morning when I press auto I do not get any fans coming on even at full operating temperature. The display on the climate control is on bu even at full operating temperature, no fans are blowing air. To get the fans on, I would have to manually adjust the fan speed. If I press auto after getting the fans on manually, everything works fine. I took the car into the dealer last week and of course they could not repeat the problem since it only happens when the car is not driven for a couple of days. They said everything was fine according to the tests they ran and that the fans will not come on immediately since the air is cold. This I knew. I video taped the problem earlier this week when it occurred to show the dealer when I go in next week. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any idea what it could be?
try dropping it off for a weekend?
e30og is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106663
Location: Sunny SoCal, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Posts: 227
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I haven't experienced this issue. However recently I've noticed that after pressing the recirc button, shortly thereafter the system turns the recirc off. I'll notice that it's turned off usually when sitting at a stoplight and I begin to smell the exhaust of a the car in front of me. Is this normal? Shouldn't the recirc stay on once it's pressed or does my car have gremlins?
Just Tom is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
TehMark
Focus Addict
 
TehMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87530
Location: Space, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 642
FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mine takes about 15 minutes to warm up on cold days before the fans kick out air.
__________________
(╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻
TehMark is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,385
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
I haven't experienced this issue. However recently I've noticed that after pressing the recirc button, shortly thereafter the system turns the recirc off. I'll notice that it's turned off usually when sitting at a stoplight and I begin to smell the exhaust of a the car in front of me. Is this normal? Shouldn't the recirc stay on once it's pressed or does my car have gremlins?
It depends on where you have the rest of the climate control system set to.

On defrost it tends to shut off the recirculation to try and prevent the windshield from fogging up on the inside.

For manual climate control systems:

Quote:
(Recirculated air): Press to activate/deactivate air recirculation
in the vehicle. Recirculated air may reduce the amount of time needed to
cool down the interior of the vehicle and may also help reduce undesired
odors from reaching the interior of the vehicle. Recirculated air engages
automatically when MAX A/C is selected or can be engaged manually in
any airflow mode except (defrost). Recirculated air may turn off
automatically in all airflow modes except (Panel) and (Panel
and Floor) and when in MAX A/C.
From the 5th edition of the 2012 Ford Focus owners guide, page 113

For the automatic climate control system:

Quote:
(Recirculated air): Press to activate/deactivate air recirculation in
cabin. Recirculated air may reduce the amount of time to cool down the
interior of the vehicle and may also help reduce undesired odors from
reaching the interior of the vehicle. Recirculated air engages automatically
when MAX A/C is selected or can be engaged manually in any airflow mode
except (defrost). Recirculated air may turn off automatically in all
airflow modes except MAX A/C to reduce fog potential.
Page 117 5th printing of the 2012 Focus owners guide.


If the car thinks it will cause fog it will turn off the re-circulation in all modes except max a/c.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
thirdj
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
thirdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87909
Location: Kirkland, WA
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium White Hatch

Posts: 38
FF Reputation: 1 thirdj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've had the same problem as the OP two times since owning my car, while set to auto the fans wont come on(car was fully warmed, first time it happened was in summer). For me though, changing the temp or fan speed did nothing, I found turning the system off an then back on and pushing the auto button corrected the issue for me.
__________________
2012 FF HB Titaanium, Platinum White, Handling Package, Winter Package, Build date 05/2011
thirdj is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87742
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Posts: 1,868
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdj View Post
....I found turning the system off an then back on and pushing the auto button corrected the issue for me.
Same here. I've had some weird behavior if I have it on auto, make a temporary adjustment, and then try to return it to auto by just hitting the auto button. It never really seems to get 100% back to auto doing this. Turning it completely off and then on again by using the auto button gets it back to normal for me as well though.
__________________
.
.......here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, the master of unlocking, take it with you.
copernicium112 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,260
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpostman View Post
...Now if the vehicle is not driven say the entire weekend, on Monday morning when I press auto I do not get any fans coming on even at full operating temperature...
Have you called the awesome Ford Canada agents at 1-800-565-3673, mrpostman? If you have, please let me know what they said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdj View Post
I've had the same problem as the OP two times since owning my car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Same here. I've had some weird behavior if I have it on auto...
thirdj & copernicium112,

Iím available to help by sending this up the line to your regional customer service managers. So I can do this, PM me your contact details (please include your full name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name/state).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
...Shouldn't the recirc stay on once it's pressed or does my car have gremlins?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
...From the 5th edition of the 2012 Ford Focus owners guide, page 113...
You probably have gremlins, Just Tom. Donít leave food in your car overnight or youíll have a bigger problem on your hands. LOL JK

Seriously though, I see suss6052 already fielded this one (you rock, suss6052!).

Iíll add that you can grab a free digital copy of your Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Cory
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
e30og
Focus Enthusiast
 
e30og's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 83765
Location: Baltimore, MD
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

Posts: 533
FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMark View Post
Mine takes about 15 minutes to warm up on cold days before the fans kick out air.
damn son thats forever...mine is like 5-6 minutes on the coldest days
e30og is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
cuke2u
Focus Enthusiast
 
cuke2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87358
Location: Hastings, United Kingdom
What I Drive: It's in my sig..

Posts: 533
FF Reputation: 2 cuke2u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
I haven't experienced this issue. However recently I've noticed that after pressing the recirc button, shortly thereafter the system turns the recirc off. I'll notice that it's turned off usually when sitting at a stoplight and I begin to smell the exhaust of a the car in front of me. Is this normal? Shouldn't the recirc stay on once it's pressed or does my car have gremlins?
Hi, fyi in Europe our manual states this:
"When the system is in AUTO mode
and the interior and exterior temperatures
are high, the system automatically selects
recirculated air to maximize cooling of the
interior. When the selected air temperature
is reached, the system automatically selects
outside air."
__________________
Mk3 Focus Titanium X, 1.6 Ecoboost 150ps + Bluefin Remap
Candy Red
Appearance Pack
18" 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
Manual 6-speed gearbox,,,
cuke2u is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.