Anyone having problems with rust spots? - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #51
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 20,796, Level 90
Points: 20,796, Level: 90 Points: 20,796, Level: 90 Points: 20,796, Level: 90
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Everyone: THIS IS NOT THE CAR RUSTING. As some have already pointed out...

What you see is completely normal and routine; and especially noticeable on white cars. They are rust specs on the paint, kicked up by the tires as you drive. It's a standard part of winter driving and similar specs can accumulate year-round from other sources like industrial fallout and rail dust from train tracks.

The way to undo this is to detail the car. A clay bar is one way to pull these off. You certainly do not need to make a warranty claim to repaint the car, the paint is fine and not causing this.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #52
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post

What you see is completely normal and routine; and especially noticeable on white cars. They are rust specs on the paint, kicked up by the tires as you drive. It's a standard part of winter driving and similar specs can accumulate year-round from other sources like industrial fallout and rail dust from train tracks.

The way to undo this is to detail the car. A clay bar is one way to pull these off. You certainly do not need to make a warranty claim to repaint the car, the paint is fine and not causing this.
Listen to this guy.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #53
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Agreed as above .... The last thing is a paint job you don't need.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #54
Pinion Dominion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105589
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Pinion Dominion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I washed my car this weekend and I noticed this "rusting" on my White Platinum as well, especially on the rear bumper.

Looks like I have to do a full detailing with clay bar when it gets warmer.

Is it bad to leave it as is for a few months? (Prob won't get warm till Apr for Canada)
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #55
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:

Awesome! never knew that, good info! More exclamation marks!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #56
Shaunaf61
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118886
What I Drive: Frozen white ford focus trend 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Shaunaf61 Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 focus trend covered in rust spots the dealership has buffed the car and rust spots re appear. It was only 3 months old when I first noticed the spots. But may have been there from the beginning. I have paint protection before purchasing the vehicle and it does nothing to protect . The rust spots get worse daily. Not happy
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #57
Nevin W
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98043
What I Drive: 1994 Chevy S10 4x4

FF Reputation: 2 Nevin W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunaf61 View Post
I have a 2012 focus trend covered in rust spots the dealership has buffed the car and rust spots re appear. It was only 3 months old when I first noticed the spots. But may have been there from the beginning. I have paint protection before purchasing the vehicle and it does nothing to protect . The rust spots get worse daily. Not happy
I'm sorry, but did you not read through this forum at all? It has been stated multiple times, wash the car and use a clay bar and it will take the spots away...

RIP
PNW Crew #45
1994 Chevy S10 4x4 w/ 4.3 Vortec
2002 Sonic Blue Focus SVT Supercharged - For Sale
2002 Liquid Grey Metallic Wagon - Written off
Nevin
Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #58
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Gee, i've driven white cars for years and never had these 'rust' spots. tar sometimes yes, but not rust,,,, and i live where lots of salt, ore 'sand' and sand are used in the winter.....hmmmmm
Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #59
Krizayjm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102581
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Krizayjm Good Standing Member
Shaunaf61 like other comments. Buffing the car won't likely get the embedded particles in the paint off. You will have to clay the vehicle. I am the OP that complained about the spots and after claying my car they are gone. I would also suggest investing in a bottle of Carpro Iron X. Not cheap (about $20) but works wonders. Spray the whole car with iron x, spray off, then finish off with clay and a good coat of fresh wax
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #60
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

Points 2,144, Level 27
Points: 2,144, Level: 27 Points: 2,144, Level: 27 Points: 2,144, Level: 27
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
My car is Oxford white and exhibited the rail dust on the rear hatch off the lot. I've clay bar'd and waxed it twice within 10k miles using Mcguires products and it most definitely did not eliminate the contaminants in the clear coat. Yes, you can greatly reduce the signs of it by using a clay bar but sadly it will still be there. They are most severe directly under the rear window hatch area. I may have to look into the iron-x product but its a frustrating dilemma!
*edit*-I may give serious consideration to having a pro detailing shop try to get the hatch area perfect. At least that way I can combat minor rail dust as opposed to trying to reverse the severe stuff that's been burried from day 1.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.