Car won't catch idle - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91691
What I Drive: '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Neptune15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Your image isn't showing up lauradogin.

I think I nailed down the cause of this problem. I'll give the solution once I've confirmed it's the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon 5spd Zetec

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My car was doing this the other day but then it stopped. Let me know how you fixed it. I was thinking IAC valve, but since it is working now I don't feel like pulling it off if it isn't likely to help.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Pinging in cold weather on high octane fuel, and you're having trouble keeping it running until the engine warms up? It's either a vacuum leak or a sticking injector, but something is making you lean.

Tune-ups, especially in this car, don't really have to cost a lot of money. One thing you might take a second to learn, if you want to diagnose internal engine problems- the standard 20k mile spark plug is your friend. Spark plug deposits will tell you more than code readers if you know what you're looking at. Another lost art is simply cleaning plugs. You don't have to replace plugs if the plug isn't bad, just remove, clean, regap, reinstall.

BTW, are you turbocharged? Modified pistons? Camshafts? What are your mods? That might give me some ideas to help you. For example, if you recently installed a cotton/oil filter like a K&N, then you might want to seriously consider cleaning your MAF. That one tends to make the engine run rich and your problem seems to be lean, but it's worth knowing so we can cross it off. I always recommend that people clean the MAF weekly for a month after filter cleaning, re-oiling, and primary installation.

One thing with a new CAI or filter is the A/F reset. If you haven't done that- even a tune might not keep you from pinging.

Tell us more bro.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast

My engine mods are just the ones I've listed: CAI and tune. Everything else is stock.

When it comes to spark plugs, I've read around and it seems the Autolites are popular. I'll try those next time I change the plugs.

When we look at my issue from a logical standpoint, I think we can rule out things like a clogged fuel filter or bad plugs. The engine runs perfectly fine once I gets "over" the stalling problem. The problem is either there or not. There's no middleground. Once the engine starts up and idles, it stays that way until I've shut it off and kept it off for 5+ hours in the cold.

If I'm least knowledgeable in one area, is has to be electrical. Could the cold cause the ECU or some type of wire to seize up somehow?

These past few days have been warm so my car has been running like a champ.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast

And the plugs are the OE platinum plugs. Last time I checked them (maybe 10k ago) they looked brand new.

Bookmarks & Social Networks