DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 182 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #1811
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatogcarvalho View Post
Hello guys.

I usually access this forum on a daily basis to read this thread, and I wanted to make sure before posting this message in the board, but unfortunately I'm experiencing some weird issues with my transmission as well.

I own a 2012 Focus Hatchback, bought my car on May, 2012 and the build date is 24.04.2012. (How could I know which version I have on my DCT automatic transmission? Can anyone help me with this? Much appreciated.)

While driving my car and applying the brakes before a turn, usually after finishing the turn and giving gas to the car again, I hear some weird sounds coming from under the hood, sounding like gears/metal scratching each other. Another situation that it usually happens is when I apply the breaks before traffic light, and I turns green before I come to a full stop, so when I start giving gas to the car again I hear the same sound. I'm positive that this issue is related with the transmission.

The same does not happen (or maybe I haven't noticed the sound until today) when I drive on the S mode though.

I don't drive that much, my car only has 3500 miles. I live very close to my work, so my commute is very small.

It's really frustrating owning a brand new car and hear some weird noises coming from the hood. I've never experienced that before on my life.

I really hope that I can get this problem fixed, because I decided to buy a Ford instead of a Honda to support an American company.

While doing a research yesterday, I found this website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

On this website we can check all the TSBs and Recalls related to any car. Maybe it can be useful to anyone.

And while searching for issues related to a 2012 Ford Focus, I found this document: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...45086-3565.pdf

I'm planning on asking my dealer to fix my problem, and show him this document. I'm not an expert on cars, neither on the laws (I'm a legal immigrant and tax payer living in the US), so any advice would be very appreciated.

I wish all you guys good luck.

All the best.
One of the documents (FSA 12b37) you've pointed out is 7 or 8 months old and has helped DCT behavior for many here, including me. You can tell if this has been applied to your car without visiting the dealer: go to etis.ford.com and enter your VIN number on the "vehicle" page. This will show you all kinds of interesting infor about your car, including any outstanding "Field Service Actions" (FSAs). If 12b37 is listed, you should print the page and take it to your dealer. The fix is just a software update so doesn't take long and isn't invasive. With the build date of your car it may have come with the new programming from the factory but you never know.

In any event, take it in to your dealer and see what happens. These things can behave properly, but there is a lot of variability between examples for reasons that remain somewhat of a mystery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #1812
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
I usually access this forum on a daily basis to read this thread, and I wanted to make sure before posting this message in the board, but unfortunately I'm experiencing some weird issues with my transmission as well.

I own a 2012 Focus Hatchback, bought my car on May, 2012 and the build date is 24.04.2012. (How could I know which version I have on my DCT automatic transmission? Can anyone help me with this? Much appreciated.)

While driving my car and applying the brakes before a turn, usually after finishing the turn and giving gas to the car again, I hear some weird sounds coming from under the hood, sounding like gears/metal scratching each other. Another situation that it usually happens is when I apply the breaks before traffic light, and I turns green before I come to a full stop, so when I start giving gas to the car again I hear the same sound. I'm positive that this issue is related with the transmission.

The same does not happen (or maybe I haven't noticed the sound until today) when I drive on the S mode though.

I don't drive that much, my car only has 3500 miles. I live very close to my work, so my commute is very small.

It's really frustrating owning a brand new car and hear some weird noises coming from the hood. I've never experienced that before on my life.

I really hope that I can get this problem fixed, because I decided to buy a Ford instead of a Honda to support an American company.
The new clutch was put into production on January 31st, 2012. Your clutch should be the newer version, but I have no clue about those seals?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #1813
cuozc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107955
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 cuozc Good Standing Member
FYI.

Just got my se back today. It worked perfectly on the way home. Smooth from the start. Even going hard on gas uphill.

Reading the notes, seems like there is a leak from the seal to the clutch. They replace the whole clutch and seal.

Hope it lasts.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #1814
cuozc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107955
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 cuozc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hello guys.

While doing a research yesterday, I found this website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

On this website we can check all the TSBs and Recalls related to any car. Maybe it can be useful to anyone.

And while searching for issues related to a 2012 Ford Focus, I found this document: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...45086-3565.pdf

I'm planning on asking my dealer to fix my problem, and show him this document. I'm not an expert on cars, neither on the laws (I'm a legal immigrant and tax payer living in the US), so any advice would be very appreciated.

I wish all you guys good luck.

All the best.
Maybe you have done so. Bring your car to your dealership. I suspect its the malfunction of the clutch. Mine did produce very light, yet noticeable grinding noise before I took it in. The dealer replaced the seal and whole clutch. Turned out, they did find a oil leak to the clutch.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #1815
tjbjday
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101793
What I Drive: 2012 Sea Green Focus

FF Reputation: 1 tjbjday Good Standing Member
Bad Transmission

My 2012 transmission is a piece of junk. It is so bad I cannot trade it in. Nobody wants it. Ford dealer just says it is "normal". They have updated the program several times. I have worked with regional rep. After last update they will not call back.

I believe Ford should be explaining to potential customers what they are buying. I am stuck with this car and Irecommend not buying third product, even though moose says it is ok. I wonder if Bullwinkle is a relative. He can buy mine!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1816
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Piece of shiit these transmissions...enough said....
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #1817
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbjday View Post
My 2012 transmission is a piece of junk. It is so bad I cannot trade it in. Nobody wants it. Ford dealer just says it is "normal". They have updated the program several times. I have worked with regional rep. After last update they will not call back.

I believe Ford should be explaining to potential customers what they are buying. I am stuck with this car and Irecommend not buying third product, even though moose says it is ok. I wonder if Bullwinkle is a relative. He can buy mine!
Read my previous post + many others here. Ford dealers all over the place are replacing clutch assemblies to resolve this issue under warrenty. There's no reason for dealers not to do it. I don't think the "it's normal" BS from dealers should fly anymore. PM the c.s. rep on this forum to get help if needed. These are basically good cars.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #1818
miuk9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108830
What I Drive: Focus 2013

FF Reputation: 1 miuk9 Good Standing Member
Hi new member here.

Just got a Focus 2013 and just today at 300 miles noticed the grinding/rattling sound which i suspect is from the transmission.

Almost similar sound to that video posted on youtube quoted many times on the forum. Problem seems to occur only when shifting from gear 1 to 2 and when coasting to a stop. Will continue to monitor for the next few days before bringing it in to the dealer.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #1819
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by miuk9 View Post
Hi new member here.

Just got a Focus 2013 and just today at 300 miles noticed the grinding/rattling sound which i suspect is from the transmission.

Almost similar sound to that video posted on youtube quoted many times on the forum. Problem seems to occur only when shifting from gear 1 to 2 and when coasting to a stop. Will continue to monitor for the next few days before bringing it in to the dealer.
Unbelievable Ford are still putting inferior parts into the 13's knowing that this is going to happen. From what others have been able to gather, the replacement clutches are more robust in some way.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #1820
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miuk9 View Post
Hi new member here.

Wait until you've reached 1000 miles before you take it in. And, be sure you drive it aggressively occasionally so that the clutches wear in. Most of us have no problems with the DCT. Give it some more time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks