2000 zx3 won't idle, sometimes - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
FocusGroupy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108115
What I Drive: 2000 White ZS3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusGroupy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 zx3 won't idle, sometimes

Hello

My daughters 2000 ZX3 runs fine most of the time. But occasionally, after being driven for a while and shut off and restarted it will not idle and die. You can keep it running by applying a little pressure to the gas peddle. If you wait about 45 min to an hour usually it will run normally again.

It seems totally random. sometimes it will not do it for weeks or months (the longer times between events are in the winter).

My scanner can only read codes, it can't read things like fuel pressure and real time data. No Codes are set.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Usually a vacuum leak of some sort. Hoses tend to be more pliable when warm and a split or perished hose may leak under only those specific conditions. Check for the common PCV hose failure problem and all the rubberr fittings that attach to the vacuum take-offs on the back of the intake manifold (just below the throttle body between the manifold and firewall.)
Vacuum leaks don't usually throw codes unless they affect the AF mixture enough to cause a lean running condition.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
hi and welcome to the forum.

another thing to check is the IAC valve.

stalling is a classic Focus failure mode on older vehicles and a topic of endless discussion here. Plug words like "IAC", "PCV", and "stall" in the search box to find tips.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
FocusGroupy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108115
What I Drive: 2000 White ZS3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusGroupy Good Standing Member
I gave the hoses a cursory check, The rubber connectors seemed to be tight, pliable and intact. Some hoses had chafing marks and one of them, one of the small diameter hard ones going from the manifold to the canister, was worn almost through the casing.

I made temporary repairs to the chafed lines and will see if that solves the problem. But, because of the intermittent nature of this issue it may be a long time b4 it happens again.

There are no pictures of the PVC hose in my manual. does anyone know where I find one.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Because it runs fine, then won't restart, I am inclined to believe that is an IACV problem. The IACV is simply sticking once in a while- probably due to the cold weather and crud buildup. I would clean the IAC.

There is no reason not to investigate the PCV, check it, and repair it as needed. This is a common problem causer, and should not be overlooked any time you're having problems with the car. It will help you to know this one, and know it is repaired. It is not expensive to repair if you purchase 90 deg plastic elbows and line to build your own. A re-designed hose from Ford is available for $20.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
mjtalas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 130154
What I Drive: 2001 grey ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 mjtalas Good Standing Member
My 2001 ZX3 has the same problem as described in the original post. Was there ever a resolution to this? I see many threads about idle problems, but most involve other symptoms (rough, low or high idle). For this problem, the engine simply will not idle without my foot on the accelerator. As long as I keep my foot on the accelerator even at low idle the engine runs fine. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the engine dies. This happens every few months and seems to be random. After sitting for a few hours (not sure how long I need but overnight is the typical amount of time) the problem disappears and the engine idles normally again.

This has happened a few times and to drive the car home I need to keep my left foot on the break while the car is in drive and then accelerate to get the car moving (almost like a clutch on a standard shift). While driving I coast in neutral with my foot on the accelerator to keep the engine idling and then drop it back into drive to continue driving. All the time, I have to keep my foot on the accelerator and keep the idle at around 3000 RPM. A lower RPM might work but I need the higher RPM to keep the engine running once it is under load and the higher RPM is easier to maintain with my foot.

The next morning the car starts and idles fine with no problems. I have tried waiting a few minutes before restarting, no luck. I have also disconnected the battery cable to cut all power hoping for some sort of reset. No luck. The only thing that seems to bring it all back to normal is sitting overnight. Not sure how long I actually need, but overnight is long enough.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Kodyston
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112498
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3; Zetec; MTX-75

FF Reputation: 3 Kodyston Good Standing Member
Try cleaning the IACV as mentioned above. If you don't want to clean it, buy a new OEM one. Check for vacuum leaks/cracks in your vacuum lines and see if the car idles better. Let us know if that helped.
Steeda Louvered hood, Steeda Razzi body kit, carbon fiber dash trim, shift knob & Steeda door sill plates, American Racing chrome plated 16" wheels, SVT suspension, K&N lifetime drop in air filter and fog light modification.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->