MFT App Compatibility! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MFT App Compatibility!

To clarify its not apps for MFT but apps compatible with MFT. Ford released the code for Sync's AppLink software, allowing app interaction through Sync voice commands and buttons.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-op...mpatible-apps/

The article lists some upcoming apps, but at the very bottom specifies that some including NPR and Pandora already work through Sync. Does anyone have any experience with these yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
To clarify its not apps for MFT but apps compatible with MFT. Ford released the code for Sync's AppLink software, allowing app interaction through Sync voice commands and buttons.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-op...mpatible-apps/

The article lists some upcoming apps, but at the very bottom specifies that some including NPR and Pandora already work through Sync. Does anyone have any experience with these yet?
Except that MFT does not currently have AppLink. AppLink right now is only present in SYNC w/ MyFord vehicles, not MyFord Touch vehicles.

:( good news for the SYNC w/ MyFord crowd though!
Sonic Crew #28
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
:( good news for the SYNC w/ MyFord crowd though!
It would only be good news if Ford would release the software for 2012 MY cars and not just new production 2013+ Focus models.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
It would only be good news if Ford would release the software for 2012 MY cars and not just new production 2013+ Focus models.
Better than nothing though, but I agree with you.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post

umm no where in the article does it say that it will only be offered only on new production vehicles...obviously its going to be offered on anything with Sync. Im sure at the very worst only MK3 owners would be able to use it

also its for Sync, regardless of MFT it would still be compatible. the package is named "Sync with MFT" not "MFT without Sync", availability for just Sync and not MFT would cut out a big market for the apps, that makes absolutely no sense, i doubt that is the case
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
umm no where in the article does it say that it will only be offered only on new production vehicles...obviously its going to be offered on anything with Sync. Im sure at the very worst only MK3 owners would be able to use it

also its for Sync, regardless of MFT it would still be compatible. the package is named "Sync with MFT" not "MFT without Sync", availability for just Sync and not MFT would cut out a big market for the apps, that makes absolutely no sense, i doubt that is the case
You're misinformed.

Suss is correct, the 2013 MY Focus models with SYNC (withOUT MFT) have AppLink. The 2012 MY vehicles have not had their SYNC module updated and are on an OLDER VERSION of the system that does NOT support AppLink.

SYNC w/o MFT IS an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT system. It's SYNC w/ MyFord and SYNC w/ MyFord Touch. Two different implementations, both employing the SYNC voice command system but different entertainment systems altogether.

This is pretty common knowledge for those who have researched it (any of us who have wanted AppLink on MFT have, and those with 2012 MY Focus models without MFT have wondered why they didn't get it either.)

So, no, you are unfortunately incorrect.

tl;dr:

AppLink is available currently ONLY on 2013 MY Focus models WITHOUT MyFord Touch. There is no implementation of AppLink on MFT currently, and 2012 MY Focus models without MFT haven't received an upgrade to the newer version of SYNC Gen1 to receive AppLink functionality.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:

It doesn't matter what the article says, seeing how the software has been available since sometime after July 2012 for all 2013 production but no updates have been made available via syncmyride.com it appears that the cars are being left for dead with no clue as to when there will be an update if anything.

Ford has a history of leaving prior year models out of the new software updates when it comes to sync G1 so far, and history looks to be repeating again so far.

If they wanted us to have access to applink they should have made it availble before pushing for app developers to work with this platform.

The article I've read said something about a million 2013+ models, and nothing about earlier models recieving the applink software.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
gonefhsn
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!

Fan#: 45759
What I Drive: 13 Tangerine Scream ST2,12 RAM 2500

FF Reputation: 21 gonefhsn Great Standing Member
Ben I take it syncmyride.com does not even give you the options to update to gen2?

FFMODERATOR
Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefhsn View Post
Ben I take it syncmyride.com does not even give you the options to update to gen2?
gonefhsn, there is a difference between sync G1 and sync G2, Sync G1 is the standard sync system for vehicles with either Sync, or Sync W/myford (the 4.0" lcd color display in the center stack). Sync G2 is MFT.

There is newer production software for sync G1 with myford with applink which has been reported to be 4.0.x.

There is no new software available via syncmyride.com for my 2012 which is running version 3.1.1. I can't even update to version 3.1.4 which was a later revision from 2012.

Only MFT (sync G2) has had updates available via sync my ride for the 2012+ Focus.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
...availability for just Sync and not MFT would cut out a big market for the apps, that makes absolutely no sense...
rat bastards at Ford!

remember talking to one of the engineers back in the day before the MK3 came out boasting how the upcoming MFT was an entire platform, not just a fancy nav system. Ford was one of the first brands to step up infotainment and now they are shafting a lot of loyal customers. as usual.

excuse my misinformation, I just had more faith in Ford than I should have

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->