2007 focus wont start when its cold out - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
perkinstouch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108096
What I Drive: 2007 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 perkinstouch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2007 focus wont start when its cold out

My GF has an 07 Focus with a 2.0L and it will not start right away when its cold out. The car will turn over but its not getting fuel. you have to turn the key on and off until you hear the fuel pump kick on then it will start. sometimes it takes like 30-40 mins to start. I changed the fuel pump today and checked wires but that did not fix the problem. any ideas on whats the problem could be??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 280, Level 5
Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Fuel pump relay?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
perkinstouch
Focus Rookie

Is there a way to test the relay?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Your problem could be the PCV line. It's easy to find, but it's not easy to replace. What is happening is that you're experiencing a lean condition as a result which makes it difficult to start when it's cold. Then, if you cycle the key back and forth from OFF to START, you are going from lean to flooded, and the cranking slows down when it's flooded- you might think the battery is running low.

The PCV line on this car is located underneath the intake manifold. Find the oil filter, and look upwards between the plastic intake manifold and the engine block, and back towards the throttle body a bit. You'll see a hose going from the intake manifold to a black box on the side of the block near where the oil pan connects to the bottom of the block. Grab that hose, push it around, and see if it is split. To replace, you're going to need some long, angled needle nose pliers that will fit in there, and a new hose. You can plug the hole in the intake manifold, and leave the PCV open to the atmosphere- even with a section of hose still connected to it. That will help test this theory that the PCV hose damage is causing your starting problem. Proper vacuum plugs are available fairly cheaply at all parts stores, and it's much easier to reach the intake manifold side of the PCV hose.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
perkinstouch
Focus Rookie

I just swapt the fuel pump relay and it seems to Brit starting fine. Looks like or was the relay.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

Points 280, Level 5
Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5 Points: 280, Level: 5
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Milton Good Standing Member
Glad that worked, now you're a hero with the GF.

When I have an intermittent electrical issue, I look to see if it involves a relay. If so then locate the relay. Next turn the circuit on, in your case just turn your key on. For a horn relay I had someone depress the horn ring. Then tap the suspect relay with a screwdriver handle, if things start working then it's a good bet it's the relay. Most relays are cheap enough that just replacing it to see it cures the issue is acceptable.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
perkinstouch
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Glad that worked, now you're a hero with the GF.

When I have an intermittent electrical issue, I look to see if it involves a relay. If so then locate the relay. Next turn the circuit on, in your case just turn your key on. For a horn relay I had someone depress the horn ring. Then tap the suspect relay with a screwdriver handle, if things start working then it's a good bet it's the relay. Most relays are cheap enough that just replacing it to see it cures the issue is acceptable.
this has been an issue with this car for about 1.5 years and a while back I had someone tap on the relay while I tried to start it but it didnt help but I never actually took it out and tested it with another one. I also would have thought the dealership she brought it to would have been able to diagnos is a little better instead of tell us it was the fuel pump. guess they really wanted that $1000 they quoted us. took me about 2 hours to change the fuel pump and 3 seconds to change the relay. Live an learn i guess.

Bookmarks & Social Networks