DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 181 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #1801
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
governor limited? wtf is that... I was hoping to take it over 120 mph one day... any way to change it to go over that? Also, what do you mean by cut off fuel supply - will the car stall out??

@ Sprint: How do I know when I need the clutch replaced? Is there a fee for that while it's under warranty (basic)? If there is no fee, I guess it would make sense to take it in to get the clutch replaced before the warranty expires.
The car has an electronic speed limiter on board, it is not limited by the aerodynamic drag of the body, at least not at the speeds they specified the car to he held to.

The car wouldn't necessarily stall out at speed when it pulls power and timing. It depends on if its a soft cut or a hard cut, a soft cut would prevent the car from accelerating any further but would not actively slow the vehicle down by deactivating the injectors or other mechanisms to force the car to slow down.

Unless we are able to tune the PCM we can't easily raise or remove the governor.

At least its not set to 105 like most ordinary fords from the 1990s.

You would be able to tell if the car was severely misbehaving that you may need a clutch pack replaced. However unless it qualifies under the TSB you will probably have a harder time trying to get it replaced before the warranty period runs out if its shifting fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #1802
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
governor limited? wtf is that... I was hoping to take it over 120 mph one day... any way to change it to go over that? Also, what do you mean by cut off fuel supply - will the car stall out??

@ Sprint: How do I know when I need the clutch replaced? Is there a fee for that while it's under warranty (basic)? If there is no fee, I guess it would make sense to take it in to get the clutch replaced before the warranty expires.
Mine was grinding fairly severely but when I took it in to have it looked at it did not grind while I was test driving with the Tech (just my luck - lol). Despite that, my dealer replaced the clutches/seals anyway I gather because they know that a lot of them are defective and because they had the green light from Ford to do so. There's was no fee for me here in Canada though I've heard of some dealers charging some sort of "diagnosis fee" if they cannot find the problem. In these cases, the problem is so well documented / advertised that I'd expect any dealer to change the parts with few questions asked and just based on customers' reports of the issue. If you have a 12 focus (I'm not sure about 13s), I'd be bringing it in and asking for a clutch replacement even at the slightest sound of trouble given the rate of problems reported here (I'll bring mine in for round 2 if I hear any hind of grinding before my warranty is up).

I'm intrigued by the post above describing the suspected improved seals and clutch replacement parts being installed. This is really interesting for several reasons:
1. Why would Ford and Dealers not be disclosing to customers that replacement parts are superior to the originals? It seems like this would be welcome news to many who have had these problems and would provide re-assurance that the issues will not occur again after the replacement.
2. If replacement parts are more robust, it suggests that the originally installed parts are inferior which suggests that a recall should be done on all vehicles containing the original inferior clutches. This info now moves this issue from one of: "problems occurring in the clutch assemblies of some Focus vehicles" to: "defective clutch assembly parts in all 12 (maybe 13s) Focus vehicles".
3. Why would Ford Customer service reps who monitor this site not be given this type of information in order to relay it to all the people here having these issues. It certainly would add value to their role here.

Interesting...
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #1803
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
...Mean while, the trans shudders and shakes and i am told this is normal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Yeah I definitely have vibrations through my gas pedal.
Quote:
...So today my car did another weird shift...
Iím sorry for missing the updates on this thread, guys. I want to get the contact info from those with a concern so I can escalate it up to your regional customer service managers. If you havenít already, please PM me your full name, current mileage, best daytime phone number, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
...My Focus vibrates and shudders more than any car I've ever owned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
...I don't have the oil leak, but it still made the noise that a manual makes when you shift without fully depressing the clutch...
Strix & PratoN,

Iíve sent you each a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
Ford covers it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybaloney View Post
...after I talked to some service reps on here Koons have almost bent over backwards to help me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggy64 View Post
...I often have the pedal to the floor on some on ramps here. I love the feeling of this car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
For what it is worth, I have 37k on mine and it performs flawlessly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
...The transmission work was done (new seals, clutch assembly, etc. TSB 11-12-13). As expected, it shifts like a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
...Seemed to have smoothed everything out, no more noise either while shifting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
...So far, everyone is happy, the dealer and Focus owners... LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
...I guess I wouldn't worry about it, but if it occurs again it might be worth a trip to the dealer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuozc View Post
...Yet, the dealer took the whole thing apart and found no leak, but a crack on the clutch. So, they decided to replace it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
...Usually the door jamb sticker and www.etis.ford.com agree...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Mine was grinding fairly severely but when I took it in to have it looked at it did not grind while I was test driving with the Tech (just my luck - lol). Despite that, my dealer replaced the clutches/seals anyway...
I like seeing everyone taking the time to contribute; thanks!

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #1804
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
1. Why would Ford and Dealers not be disclosing to customers that replacement parts are superior to the originals? It seems like this would be welcome news to many who have had these problems and would provide re-assurance that the issues will not occur again after the replacement.
It is assumed that the replacement parts are improved (i.e. is it assumed that Ford management/engineers are not total morons).
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #1805
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It is assumed that the replacement parts are improved (i.e. is it assumed that Ford management/engineers are not total morons).
OK - but my question is: why is an assumption necessary - why not advertise this logical fact? Of the 100s of posts I've seen here on this issue many of which indicate Ford dealers won't even recognize there is a problem, this is the first time I've seen anything indicating that the original parts are clearly defective and will be replaced with upgraded ones. Why would Ford Customer Service who posts here regularly not confirm this. It really is quite silly.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #1806
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
OK - but my question is: why is an assumption necessary - why not advertise this logical fact? Of the 100s of posts I've seen here on this issue many of which indicate Ford dealers won't even recognize there is a problem, this is the first time I've seen anything indicating that the original parts are clearly defective and will be replaced with upgraded ones. Why would Ford Customer Service who posts here regularly not confirm this. It really is quite silly.
Seems simple; there's no reason for Ford to admit to making a mistake. They want this to go as quietly as possible to reduce liability. If you go to the dealer now you'll probably be rewarded with a proper fix and then you may stay loyal to Ford in the future (what they're hoping). If you instead spend all your time on here bashing Ford and their online reps then you deserve your fate ("you" in the broad sense). Unfortunately there are some that have gone to inept dealers and struck out. Only choice there is to keep trying new dealers til you find a competent one.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #1807
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
I like seeing everyone taking the time to contribute; thanks!
Cory
Thank YOU for monitoring and expressing interest.

Hatch Nation #174
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #1808
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Unfortunately there are some that have gone to inept dealers and struck out.
Yep. And if you contact customer service about it, your case gets handed to a representative assigned to your (problem) dealership, and it seems that they will do what they can to keep your dissatisfaction from affecting 'their' dealership's numbers.

This system needs to be changed, IMO. Customer service representatives should be assigned to customers, not dealerships. They should be focused on customer service, not dealership assistance.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #1809
renatogcarvalho
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106359
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport Package HB

FF Reputation: 1 renatogcarvalho Good Standing Member
Hello guys.

I usually access this forum on a daily basis to read this thread, and I wanted to make sure before posting this message in the board, but unfortunately I'm experiencing some weird issues with my transmission as well.

I own a 2012 Focus Hatchback, bought my car on May, 2012 and the build date is 24.04.2012. (How could I know which version I have on my DCT automatic transmission? Can anyone help me with this? Much appreciated.)

While driving my car and applying the brakes before a turn, usually after finishing the turn and giving gas to the car again, I hear some weird sounds coming from under the hood, sounding like gears/metal scratching each other. Another situation that it usually happens is when I apply the breaks before traffic light, and I turns green before I come to a full stop, so when I start giving gas to the car again I hear the same sound. I'm positive that this issue is related with the transmission.

The same does not happen (or maybe I haven't noticed the sound until today) when I drive on the S mode though.

I don't drive that much, my car only has 3500 miles. I live very close to my work, so my commute is very small.

It's really frustrating owning a brand new car and hear some weird noises coming from the hood. I've never experienced that before on my life.

I really hope that I can get this problem fixed, because I decided to buy a Ford instead of a Honda to support an American company.

While doing a research yesterday, I found this website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/

On this website we can check all the TSBs and Recalls related to any car. Maybe it can be useful to anyone.

And while searching for issues related to a 2012 Ford Focus, I found this document: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...45086-3565.pdf

I'm planning on asking my dealer to fix my problem, and show him this document. I'm not an expert on cars, neither on the laws (I'm a legal immigrant and tax payer living in the US), so any advice would be very appreciated.

I wish all you guys good luck.

All the best.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #1810
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...Why would Ford Customer Service who posts here regularly not confirm this...
The engineers are always working to improve our vehicles, Sprint. Iím not part of that process, so I relay any available info I can.

Quote:
...If you instead spend all your time on here bashing Ford and their online reps then you deserve your fate ("you" in the broad sense)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
Thank YOU for monitoring and expressing interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Yep. And if you contact customer service about it, your case gets handed to a representative...
kam327, bsp_53, & Strix,

I appreciate the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatogcarvalho View Post
...While driving my car and applying the brakes before a turn, usually after finishing the turn and giving gas to the car again, I hear some weird sounds coming from under the hood...
Iím available to help by sending this info up the line, renatogcarvalho. Please shoot me a PM with your VIN, full name, phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer details.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks