DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 180 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #1791
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I went to that website and put in my VIN but couldn't find where the build date was - just thought i'd letcha know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #1792
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
I went to that website and put in my VIN but couldn't find where the build date was - just thought i'd letcha know!
Top of the screen with the vehicle information it should be 22.10.12 Day, month , year

As an Example:

A Second Example:
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #1793
mishka
Focus Addict

Ok.
So today my car did another weird shift. I was already in sport mode, however I had not yet engaged manual mode - meaning it was in auto-sport mode (btw I just figured out that I could do that after like 3 weeks of driving the car lol). I was at the top of a small incline about to go downhilll (I was going about 30) when the car auto-shifted (because I was in auto-sport), however it shifted down to 2nd gear instead of up to 4th gear (and, naturally, reved up to about 6k rpm).
I'm not sure why it would downshift at the top of a hill going down like that. Anyone know?

On a side note, is red-lining when the rpm gets the the dashed red area or the solid red area on the rpm gauge? The dashed red area begins at 7k rpm. And solid red begins at 8k rpm I believe. Seems like it should go higher.. but then again I have no idea what i'm talking about lol.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #1794
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Ok.
So today my car did another weird shift. I was already in sport mode, however I had not yet engaged manual mode - meaning it was in auto-sport mode (btw I just figured out that I could do that after like 3 weeks of driving the car lol). I was at the top of a small incline about to go downhilll (I was going about 30) when the car auto-shifted (because I was in auto-sport), however it shifted down to 2nd gear instead of up to 4th gear (and, naturally, reved up to about 6k rpm).
I'm not sure why it would downshift at the top of a hill going down like that. Anyone know?

On a side note, is red-lining when the rpm gets the the dashed red area or the solid red area on the rpm gauge? The dashed red area begins at 7k rpm. And solid red begins at 8k rpm I believe. Seems like it should go higher.. but then again I have no idea what i'm talking about lol.
It would downshift more aggressively in S-auto to maintain speed heading down the hill and to use more engine braking to prevent the car from accelerating down the hill (especially if you lifted off of the throttle at that time). That doesn't sound too unusual to what other people have described in S auto. Personally I don't spend so much time in S auto because it locks out 6th gear until you shift to it manually and then its in manual mode.

The redline is somewhere around 6500-6700 rpm in the dashed region. The tach is marked beyond this, but you really don't want to try to push it to 8000 rpm and I'm pretty sure it won't let you.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #1795
mishka
Focus Addict

Yes I may have lifted a bit of the throttle when that happened... I see, that makes sense that it would want to slow itself down... but I guess what really happened is that because I just got to the top of the hill, the hill must have slowed me down, so when i lifted off the gas it slowed down even more - just enough to make it shift to 2nd but still rev high as.

But if the car is auto-shifting and reving up to 6k rpm or more, it should be safe right? I was told that the DCT cannot be damaged by shifting, as well as it can't stall out. That being said, anything that it's doing automatically I pressume is safe?

So S-auto doesn't ever shift up to 6th? Even If I redline in 5th lol? I guess i'll have to find out for myself one day haha.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1796
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Yes I may have lifted a bit of the throttle when that happened... I see, that makes sense that it would want to slow itself down... but I guess what really happened is that because I just got to the top of the hill, the hill must have slowed me down, so when i lifted off the gas it slowed down even more - just enough to make it shift to 2nd but still rev high as .

But if the car is auto-shifting and reving up to 6k rpm or more, it should be safe right? I was told that the DCT cannot be damaged by shifting, as well as it can't stall out. That being said, anything that it's doing automatically I pressume is safe?

So S-auto doesn't ever shift up to 6th? Even If I redline in 5th lol? I guess i'll have to find out for myself one day haha.
Unlikely you'll ever hit redline in 5th (not even sure the car is capable of doing so), but I think the car has two strategies to avoid over-revving. The first as you may have experienced is commanding an upshift of the transmission. The second is to cut off fuel supply to the engine, which I presume is what would happen if you hit redline in S/5.

Ultimately, the engine is well-protected against exceeding the redline. Unless you have a manual and make a really ill-advised downshift...
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #1797
mishka
Focus Addict

Cool thanks. (I didnt' mean to type the smilies). By the way, is there a difference between DCT and DCPS? I have the dual clutch automated manual with manual mode - which is that? thx.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #1798
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Unlikely you'll ever hit redline in 5th (not even sure the car is capable of doing so), but I think the car has two strategies to avoid over-revving. The first as you may have experienced is commanding an upshift of the transmission. The second is to cut off fuel supply to the engine, which I presume is what would happen if you hit redline in S/5.

Ultimately, the engine is well-protected against exceeding the redline. Unless you have a manual and make a really ill-advised downshift...
6500 rpm in 5th gear would be right around 142.6 mph with the 16" wheels.

Per car and driver the top speed is governor limited to 122 mph on the 2012 Focus as shown in this comparison chart to the Honda Civic EX. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...a-civic-ex.pdf

Therefore you would theoretically not be able to redline 5th gear before the governor kicks in and holds you back.
Quote:
Cool thanks. (I didnt' mean to type the smilies). By the way, is there a difference between DCT and DCPS? I have the dual clutch automated manual with manual mode - which is that? thx.
The DCT is the DCPS (DCPS = Dual Clutch PowerShift). You would have the DCPS (DCT250) with Select Shift.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #1799
Sprint
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87069
What I Drive: 2012, Black, Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Sprint Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
I don't know if this applies to Ford USA or if it will even help you out or not PratoN, but, when I was getting my 48K (km's) service on Friday, my service manager has stated that FoMoCo Canada has told them very recently that any DCT complaints on any Focus still under warranty to just "do the job under TSB 11-12-13 regardless of the presence of oil or not". So far, everyone is happy, the dealer and Focus owners... LOL.
This is why I cannot fathom some dealers not wanting to do clutch replacements for their customers or wanting extensive proof of grinding noises (my dealer did the work with no pleading and little test drive evidence). Ford has given dealers the green light on this so it's $ in the dealers' pockets to do the work under warranty. Those who are still getting push back from dealers on clutch replacements should ask their dealers why they are refusing to do work under warranty approved by Ford (if that doesn't work I'd say dump the dealer and tell them why).
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #1800
mishka
Focus Addict

governor limited? wtf is that... I was hoping to take it over 120 mph one day... any way to change it to go over that? Also, what do you mean by cut off fuel supply - will the car stall out??

@ Sprint: How do I know when I need the clutch replaced? Is there a fee for that while it's under warranty (basic)? If there is no fee, I guess it would make sense to take it in to get the clutch replaced before the warranty expires.

Bookmarks & Social Networks