Another One Bites The Dust - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
People having problems with their car which Ford has been unsuccessful in repairing is not hard to comprehend. What is hard to comprehend are people who are willing to take the financial loss, instead of filing a lemon law claim to have their car replaced or their money refunded.
Well put.

And I agree - selling the car to some poor sucker isn't really getting at the root of the problem because it doesn't affect Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
I'm just baffled at the number of people who "just bit the bullet" and traded-in their car at a financial loss. Yes, I realize there are issues with these cars and I'm quite certain that Ford is aware of it and working on a resolution. Who knows what the solution will be, but in the meantime it seems every week there's a new thread describing how somebody just couldn't take it anymore and traded-in.
Eating the depreciation can be a small price to pay for one's sanity.

No matter how good my workday has been, driving home in my clunky, vibraty, still shifts like crap Focus puts me in a bad mood.

What's it worth to NOT be angered and frustrated every single day?

What's it worth to not feel like a complete idiot for continuing to drive a car that infuriates you daily?

I'd pay just about anything to be rid of this albatross around my neck... but I can't afford to pay diddily-squat, so I'm stuck with this clunker for a while. Counting the days, though... I hope to be making one of those goodbye posts in a few more months.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
chum567
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86507
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 chum567 Good Standing Member
My car didnt qualify for Alabama lemon law. I was able to keep my same monthly payments and had to extend my loan though. My insurance actually went down 25 dollars a month!!!!!! I got a 2013 Jeep Compass. I had been interested for a while now.

I sitll owed 14500 and they gave me 13000. I tried to tough it out for a while but after each visit something new happened and I was just tired of it. If this much happened in first year I was afraid of more to happen. It got worse and worse the more I drove it.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
04SVTF303
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98899
What I Drive: 2012 POS

FF Reputation: 1 04SVTF303 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

No matter how good my workday has been, driving home in my clunky, vibraty, still shifts like crap Focus puts me in a bad mood.

What's it worth to not feel like a complete idiot for continuing to drive a car that infuriates you daily?

I'd pay just about anything to be rid of this albatross around my neck... but I can't afford to pay diddily-squat, so I'm stuck with this clunker for a while. Counting the days, though... I hope to be making one of those goodbye posts in a few more months.
I'm right there with ya.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
My '12 has spent nearly 7 WEEKS (within 3 days now and it's sitting at the dealer as I type) at the dealership since I purchased it. Yes, thats right, 7 WEEKS.
Can you see how I could be disgusted? I am so over this car. It has been a headache from the day I picked it up. Yeah, it had an issue the day it was delivered.... a defective (full of condensation) headlight assembly.

TOTAL NIGHTMARE!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum567 View Post
My car didnt qualify for Alabama lemon law. I was able to keep my same monthly payments and had to extend my loan though. My insurance actually went down 25 dollars a month!!!!!! I got a 2013 Jeep Compass. I had been interested for a while now.

I sitll owed 14500 and they gave me 13000. I tried to tough it out for a while but after each visit something new happened and I was just tired of it. If this much happened in first year I was afraid of more to happen. It got worse and worse the more I drove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTF303 View Post
I'm right there with ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
My '12 has spent nearly 7 WEEKS (within 2 days now and sitting at the dealer as I type) at the dealership since I purchased it. Yes, thats right, 7 WEEKS.
Can you see how I could be disgusted? I am so over this car. It has been a headache from the day I picked it up. Yeah, it had an issue the day it was delivered.... a defective (full of condensation) headlight assembly.

TOTAL NIGHTMARE!
Chum at least you attempted a lemon claim, so nobody could claim that you didn't try. As for the rest of you guys, who claim that you'd be willing to take a loss and do anything to get rid of your nightmare car, why haven't you filed a lemon claim? I just don't get it. You guys lament about how terrible Ford is and how your car is making you miserable and yet so many just decide to either trade-in at a loss or do nothing and remain miserable, but most of you have never even pursued a lemon claim. Honestly it baffles me.

Here's my story. In 2000 I bought a brand new sedan. I brought the car home and within the first week I began having problems. In fact, the car left me stranded and wouldn't start within the first 100 miles of ownership. There were a few issues, but all of them had to do with electrical. Bottom line, just like the rest of you guys I was fed up from being fed up and after about 12 visits to 3 different dealers I said, "Enough!" and filed a lemon claim. I hired an attorney who only handles lemon law cases and guess what happened? I got ALL OF MY MONEY BACK! Instead of me taking a $3000, $4000 or $5000 loss or rolling negative equity into my new car. I was refunded my downpayment: $1,500. + total of car payments (23): $11,500 + parts/service charges: $389 + tax/title/registration: $2,100 = GRAND TOTAL REFUNDED $15,489. With a portion of that money I upgraded and bought a much nicer car. The rest of the money I put in my savings account. End of story.

Here's the best part. The amount I paid my attorney........wait for it............NOTHING! Zip, zilch, zero nada! $0.00 So now, having explained all that, maybe you can understand why I find it so hard to understand why people who bitch and complain so much would be willing to accept a financial loss when they can solve their problem and at the same time turn a loss in to a financial gain. Then again as the old saying goes: " A fool and his money are soon parted." But hey....to each his own I guess.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
I found out the hard way that Ford does two things really well: Mustangs and Pick-ups.
Everything else, not so much. The $hitty thing is I based my decision to buy the Focus because of my positive experience with the Mustang.
Like 04SVTF303, after a hard day at the office, driving a rattle trap home just didn't cut it. Come to think of it, neither did the drive to work.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
A fool and his money are soon parted."
How did you get a hold of Ford's new advertising copy?
By the way, we don't have a lemon law in Canada. We have an alternate recourse which involves arbitration and it's a very long drawn out process.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
I found out the hard way that Ford does two things really well: Mustangs and Pick-ups.
Everything else, not so much. The $hitty thing is I based my decision to buy the Focus because of my positive experience with the Mustang.
Like 04SVTF303, after a hard day at the office, driving a rattle trap home just didn't cut it. Come to think of it, neither did the drive to work.
Eh give 'em a little more credit than that. Our '08 Taurus was nearly flawless over 40k miles and was recently named one of the most reliable used cars by I forget who. My '06 Explorer has had some problems but my buddy's '06 with 100k miles has had few. My '99 Contour was almost problem free over 50k miles, except for the typical dashboard peel up.

I think where they tend to stumble is in the first model year of a major redesign with several new major components.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Eh give 'em a little more credit than that. Our '08 Taurus was nearly flawless over 40k miles and was recently named one of the most reliable used cars by I forget who. My '06 Explorer has had some problems but my buddy's '06 with 100k miles has had few. My '99 Contour was almost problem free over 50k miles, except for the typical dashboard peel up.

I think where they tend to stumble is in the first model year of a major redesign with several new major components.
As does any new car in it's first MY. Though the Focus has had more problems crop up than many others in their first year in the last decade or so (I ran comparisons in another thread of the Focus, Mazda 3, Corolla, Forte, and a few others) something of note is that its also far more technology-laden than the rest of the pack it competes against, without being far more expensive.

So, in the next few years with vehicle technology bounding ahead, I wouldn't be surprised to see other manufacturers stumbling in their attempts at cheap tech-heavy cars. Most manufacturers stay safe with torque-converters and conventional electronics, so when they start falling behind and having to play catch-up I don't doubt their attempts will have issues as well. Ford is fighting an uphill battle against critics who don't want to see car technology jump into this century and that's where they're being backed into corners in negative reviews.

Never do you see major publicity from the reviews of the 5MT (traditional) and basic stereo system (traditional) that praise them and the car in general.

The Focus is an excellent car, reviewers, critics, and owners have said so, but you'll never see the sea of positive when you're on a forum like this.

Lucky me, my '12 (built June '11) has had some quirks but nothing major. Haven't had to replace the steering rack and my transmission quirks seem minimal, some shuddering here and there but no more than I caused myself when I had a manual transmission, so I no longer push the issue, if it starts to get bad then I will. MFT v3.5.1 has also addressed most issues I've found with the system and seems to be the best build since v2.11. Right now, I'm very pleased with my vehicle.
Sonic Crew #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks