Alternator/serpentine belt? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
MattB488
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101149
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 MattB488 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alternator/serpentine belt?

I have a 2000 focus se, when driving everything works fine, however if I have the blower on or the headlights and drive through a muddle and it splashes under the car, everything "bogs" down for a few seconds and the lights get real dim (high beams were dimmer than lows are normally) and the blower sounded as it nearly shut off. After a few seconds there's a loud squeal and then everything begins to run normal again. What do you guys think it is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Perhaps a really loose belt? When it gets wet it slips a lot and you have a large voltage drop from running everything instantly off your battery.

Other possibility is alternator going, if your splashing through puddle hard and fast enough, could have a alternator on the way out that when it gets wet takes a few min to then re "dry out" and work again. do you have power steering during this event? or does the AC stop working for those few seconds?

Could mount a Go-Pro in the engine bay if you had one to see the belt. My guess since their is the squeal something is going on with the belt.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
If it only happens when you run through water you have damaged or lost the plastic water shield that stops much water from getting on the belt to make it slip. They commonly disappear when you hit a deep puddle, the impact tears them off. The squeal is the belt suddenly peeling out as it runs all the water off it to get normal traction again.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
If it only happens when you run through water you have damaged or lost the plastic water shield that stops much water from getting on the belt to make it slip. They commonly disappear when you hit a deep puddle, the impact tears them off. The squeal is the belt suddenly peeling out as it runs all the water off it to get normal traction again.
my thoughts as well
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
With a proper tension pulley working correctly you should be fine with water though right? Should have enough tension so during extreme heave rains where water will always be flung on the belt. So possibly a pulley to replace?
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
You have proper 'tension' with 3000 lbs. of car on road too, until you run through water, do the tires spin easier then?..............think it out................the water is a lubricant and hydroplanes as well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks