Focus on Steroids: 2013 Ford Escape 2.0L EcoBoost 4WD Tested - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
>>>The Ford Focus ST is faster than the Escape

Duh . . ya think?

:-)

The Focus ST has 252HP and weighs 3,250 pounds (12.9 pounds getting moved by each HP)

The Escape has 240HP and weighs 3,502 pounds (14.5 pounds getting moved by each HP)

In the 0-60 times the ST is 6.4 seconds while the Escape is 8.9 seconds. My current 2012 Focus Titanium is right between them at 7.5 seconds.

If you are looking, as your primary metric, 0-60, the Focus is a runaway choice. The good news is that the Focus ST, at $29,860, is also LOTS cheaper than the Escape at $38,080. If the ST works for you . . buy it and put the $10,000 in your pocket.

For my purposes, as much as I like the ST, I was drawn to the Escape for a couple reasons.

1) The Eco-Boost motor makes it plenty quick enough for a little SUV. If I need "quicker" I have a German toy sitting next to the two Focus in the driveway I can turn to.

2) I test high performance motorcycles and as much as I like to ride there are times I have to trailer bikes. The 2013 Escape has a Class II trailer hitch and a really cool anti sway system that will allow me to attach a full Well Cargo enclosed trailer and head off if I need to. The trailer hitch will also work great with my Thule swing-away mountain bike carrier and doesn't require the "not rated for towing" unauthorized mod the Focus does.

3) The AWD system on the Escape is amazing. Check out a couple of the neat YouTube videos. It will also, based on early reports, allow the Escape to handling far better than most competitors (it's no ST or a Porsche, but it's pretty good)

4) The St has a passenger volume of 90.7 cubic feel and cargo volume of 44.8 cubic feet. The Escape has 98.1 cubic feet of passenger volume and 67.8 cubic feet of cargo volume . . . more than 50% more than the Focus.

I'm looking forward to having LOTS of room, Eco-Boost power and economy, AWD, HID, Panorama roof, trailering capacity AND the about the same fun I've been having with my 2012 Focus.

i ordered the Escape precisely the same as the 2012, with every available option in the White Platinum and I'm betting most folks don't even notice it from the Focus if I don't say anything.

Bottom line . . . I'm really happy with what Ford is doing and am eager to get to Kansas and pick the Escape up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
cyberf
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86862
What I Drive: 2007, grey HB. Duratec 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 cyberf Good Standing Member
I really like the Escape and I think that covers your needs, but I just let me clarify what I thought was a question: "I'm eager to see how the performance of the Escape compare With The ST". Maybe I did not understand!

Greetings and congratulations on the new Escape and especially by the German toy.

PS: Sorry for my English.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I'm in rental cars a lot and in the last couple months I've had: 2012 Mustang (base model), 2012 Camaro (base model), and at the moment I'm in a 2013 Escape SEL with the turbo 2.0L -- my personal car is a 2012 FF Ti HB.

My impression of the Escape is that it has decent performance even at low rpm, but I think it will be difficult to average much more than about 25mpg. It looks like it should manage about 28mpg on the highway with full city driving more like 20mpg.

The SEL I have has MFT but no NAV while my FF Ti HB has MFT with NAV. One thing that puzzles me is that the 4 inch display, which appears identical to my FF Ti, has the same menu options for the trip meter, but they are in a different order -- weird...

I still prefer my FF Ti HB...

Brian
Old 09-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #24
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Well . . .the 2012 Focus Titanium, with 29,400 miles in 13 months, is gone and the 2013 Escape Titanium has 1,435 miles on it in the first 36 hours.

Bottom line . . . I'm thrilled.

The Focus was starting to show the signs of the "confused DCT transmission" ailment and the incessant "clunking" under the drivers floorboard.

The Escape, with the 2.0L Eco-Boost rocket motor . . . is amazing. Goes like a scaled dog, has the factory HID lights, cornering lights, AWD, BLIS and tons of interior room.

I took many backroads as I drove it from Topeka, KS to NYC . . . and the headlights are as good as those on the Mercedes-Benz . . . . these babes light the entire world ahead.

No regrets with the 2012, it was a fabulous car. The ST I'd ordered was sitting at the dealer and looked great as well. I still have, and will keep the 2010 Focus as a spare . . it's a spectacular car and incredibly cheap to operate.

But . . . my initial impression is that I'm really pleased with the 2013 Escape, No, it won't quite perform with the ST but the Escape is precisely what I need.

Thanks to all for the info while I was waiting for delivery.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

I've put a bit over 2,000 miles on the new 2013 Escape Titanium and I absolutely love it.

I really enjoyed the Focus . . but having twice the interior room, sitting a bit higher, having the kick ass headlights, cornering lamps and a couple other goodies is really enjoyable.

Interesting how many folks fail to even notice that I changed cars. The Escape, as one journalist noted, looks like a Focus hatchback that someone stuck an air hose in and inflated.

Fun car !
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
rcadd1ct
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88500
What I Drive: 2013, Silver Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 rcadd1ct Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyNYC View Post
I've put a bit over 2,000 miles on the new 2013 Escape Titanium and I absolutely love it.

I really enjoyed the Focus . . but having twice the interior room, sitting a bit higher, having the kick ass headlights, cornering lamps and a couple other goodies is really enjoyable.

Interesting how many folks fail to even notice that I changed cars. The Escape, as one journalist noted, looks like a Focus hatchback that someone stuck an air hose in and inflated.

Fun car !
In the FWD if you give it gas and you are only holding the wheel with one hand it torque steers to the next lane.

I was going to get the AWD as I thought that would fix it, but the fleet manager assured me it would do the same thing.

So my question is....does the AWD help the torque steer?

TIA
Old 01-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If only they offered it in a manual. They are sharp looking crossovers though, that's for sure.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
If only they offered it in a manual. They are sharp looking crossovers though, that's for sure.
+1 I'd seriously consider the Escape as my utility vehicle if I could get a 6 spd manual.

My hopes rest in the CX-5 eventually getting the Sky-D so I can tow our enclosed bike trailer. If Mazda never gives us the diesel CX-5 then it'll be a Focus ST or Fiesta ST for me and just resolve to tow 1 bike at a time on my flatbed trailer, and continue to borrow my Dad's Explorer to haul the big trailer. (And no I am not at all thrilled with the damn center exhaust forcing me to custom weld my own hitch!)

The Fiesta ST could be an awesome cheap option and be more capable of towing a bike on my flatbed trailer than my current SVTF. Just need to figure out if the Fiesta is "too tiny" for my normal hauling duties.

Courtney, congrats on the awesome new Escape, I'm jealous of the Cayman S! If I ever give up the Mazdaspeed Miata it would be for the Cayman S!

My current "tow rig"

Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #29
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadd1ct View Post
In the FWD if you give it gas and you are only holding the wheel with one hand it torque steers to the next lane.

I was going to get the AWD as I thought that would fix it, but the fleet manager assured me it would do the same thing.

So my question is....does the AWD help the torque steer?

TIA
There is virtually no torque steer with the AWD.
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #30
rcadd1ct
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88500
What I Drive: 2013, Silver Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 rcadd1ct Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRich1 View Post
There is virtually no torque steer with the AWD.

CRAP!

Thanks for the info.

I wish I had actually test drove one now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks