Question about Titanium Handling Package - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,369, Level 94
Points: 23,369, Level: 94 Points: 23,369, Level: 94 Points: 23,369, Level: 94
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
I think I'd lower the tire pressure a tad from 42 down to, say, 38. Actually, I think if I were running 18's at 235 wide I'd be closer to 35. There would be a small difference in mileage but it would be a more comfortable ride with nearly optimal handling. It might also make those expansion grooves a little less bone shaking...

Brian
I tend to have a problem with going below the recommended pressure on the door jamb (39). I was actually really surprised when I saw it, and up until that point just thought that my tires were over-inflated.

The dealership was so kind as to have installed nitrogen (yet another debate), and when I saw that it read 42 on my gauge I was cool with it. That's the only real recommendation that I have for people when it comes to tire pressure-pay a little extra for a good gauge and only use that one gauge to monitor pressure. Throw it in your glove box and you will never lose it.

Sorry, that was . I actually love the Handling Package and would rather have that package. But I prefer a sport-oriented ride. My girlfriend would prefer to not have it, as she likes a softer ride. If I were the OP, I would go test drive both in the conditions you are currently in.

Other side note-I would swear that my suspension got even more firm as things began to settle in (counter-intuitive, I know). This may not be anything more than my mind playing tricks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #32
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 3,934, Level 39
Points: 3,934, Level: 39 Points: 3,934, Level: 39 Points: 3,934, Level: 39
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I tend to have a problem with going below the recommended pressure on the door jamb (39). I was actually really surprised when I saw it, and up until that point just thought that my tires were over-inflated.

The dealership was so kind as to have installed nitrogen (yet another debate), and when I saw that it read 42 on my gauge I was cool with it. That's the only real recommendation that I have for people when it comes to tire pressure-pay a little extra for a good gauge and only use that one gauge to monitor pressure. Throw it in your glove box and you will never lose it.

Sorry, that was . I actually love the Handling Package and would rather have that package. But I prefer a sport-oriented ride. My girlfriend would prefer to not have it, as she likes a softer ride. If I were the OP, I would go test drive both in the conditions you are currently in.

Other side note-I would swear that my suspension got even more firm as things began to settle in (counter-intuitive, I know). This may not be anything more than my mind playing tricks...

To be honest I haven't even checked my tire pressure yet, but I do have a decent pressure gauge.

For most of the car's I've owned the tire pressure I tended to inflate to was 34-38. I'll have to play with the pressure a bit to see how the changes effect the handling and feel.

I guess my thought is that wider tires should need less pressure and I wonder if there is a difference in the recommended pressure depending on which tire you have.

Brian
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #33
Alloy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104870
What I Drive: 2012 SE Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Alloy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by timinac View Post
2012 Ford Focus Suspensions (US)

This is compiled from checking dealer inventory VINs in Etis, parts lists from Fordparts.com, and information from other posters (thanks GhiaFan). It is interesting to see how the different models are packaged. It also makes me wonder if there are errors in Etis. For example, I don't see the "MD" rear springs being used with any model, but I expected them to be used on the Titanium with 18" wheels. Also, the SE Sport uses the S rear springs?

There is no difference between hatch and sedan suspensions.
All models use the same stabilizer bars - 23.5mm front and 19mm rear.
Both suspension packages use standard brake calipers and pads.
There are two different front lower control arms - one for the S model (15" wheels) and one for all other models (16", 17" and I assume 18" but not listed) wheels.
Front suspension knuckles are the same, but different rear (I think) suspension knuckles for 18" wheels.

S
6 x 15" Steel Wheels
standard suspension (shocks)
BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE
With 6.5J X 16" Steel Wheel
BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

SE - sport package
7 X 16" Alloy ET 50MM Style 2
touring suspension (shocks)
BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

SEL
7 X 16" Alloy Wheels

Titanium
7J X 17" Style 5 Alloy Wheel
touring suspension (shocks)

Titanium - 18" alloy wheels
8 X 18 ET 55MM Alloy Style 2
With Handling Suspension (shocks)
BV61-5310-MD* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-MD* Right Front Coil
Sorry to bring back an old topic:

I have the 2012 SE with 17" Alloy painted wheels and the SE Sport package.

So accordingly I would have to purchase a whole new set of springs and shocks just to get the suspension package of the Titanium with Handling package?

And, is there any way i can tell what springs I have on their for sure? I'd hate to go by a whole new set, when I only may have needed 2.

Last question, does anyone have the part #'s for the Shocks for the Titanium handling package?

Thanks for your help!

Chris
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #34
jamesgjt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119882
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

Points 39, Level 1
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 jamesgjt Good Standing Member
if u check edmunds.com. it says the titanium focus 60-0 mph in 110ft. max g in 0.91. whereas the focus st 60-0 mph in 112 ft and max g in 0.93. slalom: st in 69.1 and titanium in 68.3. Now just think the titanium is a automatic focus st without tubo and no front aggressive grille. mainly because of the suspension and tires. i jacked my titanium H package up and look over the sport suspension and found that is quite amazing because the jack almost left my car tilt 20 degrees but all the wheels are still touching the ground. they stuff those sport spring to make it harder ride and less bounce. but one question, does the handling package also include the diamon kote undercoat? or that is actually another package. I found my car has the sticker but i cannot see other non h package titanium have it.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #35
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,459, Level 65
Points: 9,459, Level: 65 Points: 9,459, Level: 65 Points: 9,459, Level: 65
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgjt View Post
if u check edmunds.com. it says the titanium focus 60-0 mph in 110ft. max g in 0.91. whereas the focus st 60-0 mph in 112 ft and max g in 0.93. slalom: st in 69.1 and titanium in 68.3. Now just think the titanium is a automatic focus st without tubo and no front aggressive grille. mainly because of the suspension and tires. i jacked my titanium H package up and look over the sport suspension and found that is quite amazing because the jack almost left my car tilt 20 degrees but all the wheels are still touching the ground. they stuff those sport spring to make it harder ride and less bounce. but one question, does the handling package also include the diamon kote undercoat? or that is actually another package. I found my car has the sticker but i cannot see other non h package titanium have it.
The undercoating would be a dealer add on or a previous owner.

The chassis is very stiff even on the lower trim level Focus models, but the only benefit of the handling package over the lower trims is a slightly stiffer suspension and grippier wider wheels, the standard Focus Titanium does not benefit from a brake upgrade, and is also suffering the severe steering limiters just like the ST, although the ST uses a different rack with even bigger limiters and shorter rack travel for a quicker responsiveness.

Bookmarks & Social Networks