Similarities Between Ti-VCT and Previous Generation Duratec - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Racing Mind
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108026
What I Drive: Caterham

FF Reputation: 1 Racing Mind Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lightbulb Similarities Between Ti-VCT and Previous Generation Duratec

Guys,

I've been researching this new engine for months and finally decided to join and reach out to the experts.

The sticky above is great but doesn't address some of the areas that I am interested in. My application is to replace the Duratec engine in my Caterham with the new GDI Ti-VCT version.

Is the block of the new engine dimensionally the same as the previous? i.e. motor mount locations, alternator mounting, bellhousing bolt pattern, crank and bearing dimensions, etc?

Would anyone happen to have a clear shot of the intake ports on the head? The exhaust ports appear to be very similar (similar enough to bolt up the previous generation header). However, the intake side looks drastically different and I'd like to better ascertain what all of the differences are.

I came from the MR2 community where I built a high-powered n/a combination of a 3SGTE and 5SFE engine. Has anyone disassembled this engine yet and be able to comment on the ability to bolt the DI head on a previous generation block (if the new block is not dimensionally the same as the previous)? Is the previous generation 2.3l block really taller as some have suggested or is it just the crank stroke that is increase as is normally seen?

Thanks very much in advance,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2..._DI_Engine.pdf

Quote:
Engine Specifications 2.0L GDI Ti-VCT

Item Specification
Displacement 2.0L (122 CID)
No. of cylinders 4
Bore/stroke 3.43.3 in (87.583.1 mm)
Firing order 1-3-4-2
Compression ratio 12:1
Engine weight - Manual 266.1 lb (120.7 kg)
Engine and manual transmission weight 380.7 lb (172.7 kg)
As compared to the 2011 and prior 2.0 L port injected engine:

Quote:
Engine
Displacement 2.0L
No. of cylinders 4
Bore/stroke 87.5/83.1
Firing order 1-3-4-2
Engine weight (without accessory drive components and flexplate or flywheel) 115.8 kg (255.3 lb)
Engine and transaxle assembly weight (without accessory drive components) 203.8 kg (449.3 lb)
The engine is available with the same MTX-75 as before so I'm almost certain they didn't change the bell housing bolt pattern, but until some one actually takes one of these engines and tries to mount it into place that might not be the case.

There are at least an upper engine mount on the right hand side of the vehicle and a rear motor mount next to the transmission on the transverse factory application, these might be different than what was used previously.

The FEAD (front end accessory drive) is on the right hand side of the vehicle when mounted transversely as in the factory location (that would be the front of the engine when mounted longitudinally for a rwd application.

Picture of the engine showing the relative location of the coolant over flow bottle, air intake and other components under the hood.

Clearer side shot of the air intake manifold and plastic intake runners.

Under and to the left of the coolant over flow reservoir is the upper power train / engine mount. The silver metal bracket and the black rubber or similar mounting material to absorb the vibrations.

The upper engine mount looks to be the same basic design/ mounting points per the service manual. The lower mount is basically between the transmission mount and the subframe on the passenger car application of the engine.

It appears that dimensionally the engine block is probably the same, just strengthened up to run at 12:1 compression with the fuel system modifications to put the injectors into the high pressure cylinders as opposed to the atmospheric pressure air intake just outside of the valve inlet.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Racing Mind
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108026
What I Drive: Caterham

FF Reputation: 1 Racing Mind Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks very much! I think this should be close enough to a bolt in to move forward. I should be able to adapt the ITBs and wire in the ECU until more standalone options become available. I'll post progress... It will probably be summer before an update, however.

Cheers,
Joe

Bookmarks & Social Networks