2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 27 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #261
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
Itís funny you say that, because mine still shifts hard, loses power, and grinds between 2-3., but only when itís warm outside. Recently, itís been cold here Ė so, Iím with you and waiting until it starts to warm up again to get it to grind consistently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Same here - I can still get it to do it with moderate load and low RPM or up a hill, but it's still too picky for me to convince the dealers it's something I need until it REALLY starts to act up come summer.
Same here as well.

In colder temps, the grind noise is far more brief, if it exhibits at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The CSM/CSR won't do anything. The dealerships are independent, and Ford has setup some kind of warranty repair reimbursement system that is not favorable to the dealers (otherwise they'd be jumping all over the chance to do a repair). If you want it repaired, you have to be friendly with the service center and probably at multiple dealerships until you find one that is willing to accept non-lucrative warranty work. The grinding, unfortunately, is not easily lemonable as your car is still reliably working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Perhaps "harmless" would be a more appropriate word than "normal".

The noise may be disconcerting but there is no direct evidence that suggests it is harmful.

Keep in mind that the "grinding noise" is not really grinding at all.

That is true, especially if the noise isn't grinding but a sound analogous to that of a grinding. My transmission has been driven for almost 4000 miles, it had 6 miles when I bought it, and apart from "the noise" has remained very smooth. And I've done more city than highway driving, which means more wear.

From what I know, the noise is said to be harmless. If that's the case, there's no problem. Time is the ultimate teller on this, but as long as customers aren't being screwed over... no problem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #262
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I don't know how "harmless" the noise is - isn't it the clutch plates making the noise? I don't know how that could equate to no wear. Also, yes - it could arguably lower the resale value of the car.

Also "harmless" to the car or to the driver? Whenever the car starts acting up, the shifts become weird and jerky and I have to be super alert that I'm not going to rear-end someone in traffic. I wouldn't parallel park it when it's in a "mood."

Also, every time I take my foot off the brake or press the gas and release it (creeping in traffic) I hear *knock knock knock knock* - I don't know if that's the clutch doing something weird or the motor mount bouncing back and forth. Either way, I don't think it's good.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #263
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Cory, as an FYI for your technical advisor: my DCT doesn't make a grinding noise...
Quote:
My dealers said "It's a characteristic of the transmission." But then that begs the question - why doesn't it chatter when shifting into odd gears?...
I forwarded these details to my tech adviser, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
...The noise may be disconcerting but there is no direct evidence that suggests it is harmful...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
...My transmission has been driven for almost 4000 miles, it had 6 miles when I bought it, and apart from "the noise" has remained very smooth...From what I know, the noise is said to be harmless...
Kabigon & unfocused1,

I want to make sure this is reviewed with your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
Itís funny you say that, because mine still shifts hard, loses power, and grinds between 2-3., but only when itís warm outside...
I shot you another PM, sdwcam01; please see your inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamben0 View Post
Cory did a great job in responding to me and getting a CSM to talk to me about my grinding problem. For that I am quite grateful...

She did however say that she would get my closest dealer to contact me... which they did a day later, I was busy and missed the call, and they didn't leave a message...
agamben0,

Thanks for the shout-out. I want the confidence in your ride to be restored, so I sent a note to Mary and PMíd you with the follow-up info.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #264
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
The CSM/CSR won't do anything.
Confirming this.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #265
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
The CSM/CSR won't do anything. The dealerships are independent, and Ford has setup some kind of warranty repair reimbursement system that is not favorable to the dealers (otherwise they'd be jumping all over the chance to do a repair).
I can also attest to this. It seems that they can call the dealers and make a recommendation, but it's ultimately up to the dealer/technicians to make the call.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #266
Strix
Focus Addict

Quote:
I can also attest to this. It seems that they can call the dealers and make a recommendation, but it's ultimately up to the dealer/technicians to make the call.
I don't think so. It seems to me as if Ford customer service tells the dealership not to repair anything because they won't be paid if they do.

Then the dealership says "cannot duplicate customer complaint", even if they know there is a problem... if they won't get paid to fix it, they'll just deny that the problem exists. Can't blame them for that, I guess.

Then they leave it to Ford's customer service representatives to deal with the angry customers. I suppose it's cheaper to pay a few punching bags than it is to fix hundreds or thousands of cars.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #267
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
I don't think so. It seems to me as if Ford customer service tells the dealership not to repair anything because they won't be paid if they do.

Then the dealership says "cannot duplicate customer complaint", even if they know there is a problem... if they won't get paid to fix it, they'll just deny that the problem exists. Can't blame them for that, I guess.

Then they leave it to Ford's customer service representatives to deal with the angry customers. I suppose it's cheaper to pay a few punching bags than it is to fix hundreds or thousands of cars.
This is not universal. My dealer has always been great, on my Taurus, Explorer, and now this car. All I did was complain about some slipping while accelerating, which they could have easily said was normal, but they called and said they were replacing the clutches under 11-12-13 due to improper disengagement (no seal leakage). The only thing I can think of is that it's a huge dealer with a huge service department and maybe because of economies of scale, lower overhead per unit, or they have several transmission experts on staff, and that allows them to do the clutch replacement for what Ford is willing to pay. Whereas smaller dealers may not have the expertise with the unit yet or overhead per unit is high and they're not willing to take the risk on the repair.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #268
Strix
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
My dealer has always been great
Your _dealer_ has been great.

So you haven't had any need to contact Ford Customer Service.

Lucky for you.

They are less than useless.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #269
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Your _dealer_ has been great.

So you haven't had any need to contact Ford Customer Service.

Lucky for you.

They are less than useless.
Right, I was just trying to provide some counterpoint that not all dealers have the "it's normal" denial syndrome.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #270
Strix
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Right, I was just trying to provide some counterpoint that not all dealers have the "it's normal" denial syndrome.
OK, but I don't think it's a dealership denial syndrome... I think it comes straight from Ford's customer service department. They don't want to pay for repeated repairs, so they start saying the situation is normal.

That's odd, I think. Prior to an attempted repair, the problem is acknowledged... but after a failed attempt to correct it, the VERY SAME ISSUE suddenly becomes 'normal'.

Bookmarks & Social Networks