Purolator Oil Filter Question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Purolator Oil Filter Question

I tried searching for it, there was a post that listed a Purolator filter that is longer than the PL10241 the FoFo calls for. I did mine yesterday and there is plenty of room for the longer one and would like to go to that for the next oil change.

by sadicarnot, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Try a Motorcraft FL842 or a Fram TG16 or similar.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Try a Motorcraft FL842 or a Fram TG16 or similar.
I'd avoid the Fram. I use Motorcraft on our two Focuses and the Purolator PureONE on my 426 hemi.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Before going for the longer filter I would make sure it actually has more filter material (it may actually have less), that it filters as well as OEM, and it has the correct bypass.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Unless the filter manufacturer approves a specific filter for a specific car, why take a chance while your car is under warranty. While it's really unlikely, if you have an engine problem under warranty and you've used an unapproved oil filter, it's one more excuse for the manufacturer to be difficult.

Ford in particular is really fussy about filters. If you have any complaint about engine noise, the very first question they will likely ask is what filter you're using. If it's not a Motorcraft, they will suggest that is the problem.

If you use an unapproved filter and an engine problem develops, do you really think Purolator or Motorcraft will stand behind you?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Unless the filter manufacturer approves a specific filter for a specific car, why take a chance while your car is under warranty. While it's really unlikely, if you have an engine problem under warranty and you've used an unapproved oil filter, it's one more excuse for the manufacturer to be difficult.

Ford in particular is really fussy about filters. If you have any complaint about engine noise, the very first question they will likely ask is what filter you're using. If it's not a Motorcraft, they will suggest that is the problem.

If you use an unapproved filter and an engine problem develops, do you really think Purolator or Motorcraft will stand behind you?
What's an "unapproved oil filter"? Ford says right in the manual that another brand filter of equivalent performance can be used.

The only place it talks about voiding the engine warranty is with regard to additives.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
What's an "unapproved oil filter"? Ford says right in the manual that another brand filter of equivalent performance can be used.

The only place it talks about voiding the engine warranty is with regard to additives.
I mean unapproved by the filter manufacturer. So, if Purolator says an P10241 is the filter for the 2012 Focus but you decide, like the OP, to use a different Purolator because you think it fits/filters "better", it's conceivable you could have a problem. I agree if you use the filter Purolator specifies for the car there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
The specified Motorcraft filter for the Focus is the FL910S this filter is also specified on a lot of Chrysler products (Chrysler and Ford have had the same gasket and thread since the 60's and have used the same filters). The FL910S is what is called out on the NA Chrysler 2.0 and 2.4, the turbo 2.4 calls for a Motorcraft FL400S which is a couple of inches longer, this filter is also used by Ford on a lot of the v6 engines.

I have been using the FL400S on our 12 Focus since the first oil change 22k miles ago.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I mean unapproved by the filter manufacturer. So, if Purolator says an P10241 is the filter for the 2012 Focus but you decide, like the OP, to use a different Purolator because you think it fits/filters "better", it's conceivable you could have a problem. I agree if you use the filter Purolator specifies for the car there shouldn't be an issue.
Purolator makes a filter exactly the same as the P10241 except for the length. If you have the clearance it is common for 2 filters to be exactly the same except for the physical length. There is plenty of room in the 2012 FoFo for a longer filter. If you use a longer filter you benefit from it having a higher surface area as well as being able to hold more oil.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scada View Post
Purolator makes a filter exactly the same as the P10241 except for the length. If you have the clearance it is common for 2 filters to be exactly the same except for the physical length. There is plenty of room in the 2012 FoFo for a longer filter. If you use a longer filter you benefit from it having a higher surface area as well as being able to hold more oil.
If you're positive they are identical in all other respects, including how the bypass valve is calibrated, and the additional filter media doesn't cause an oil pressure drop, go for it. For me, the extra bit of oil and filtering capacity aren't worth a debate with Ford in the admittedly unlikely event of an oil-related problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks