Stability Control - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Rally Steve
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107312
What I Drive: 2013 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Rally Steve Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stability Control

I would like to know how to disable the Electronic Stability Control and keep the antilock brakes and the traction control unless it is turned off. Ideally I would like to put a switch somewhere to turn it on or off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
My understanding is that all of that was run through a single fuse (that people were using for a switch to enable/disable all). I'm not sure you can disable just ESC with a switch.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
erato
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97294
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Ecoboost estate

FF Reputation: 1 erato Good Standing Member
In the EU ESC will be mandatory on new cars in a few years. Guess the option to turn it off will go out the window simultanously.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Can't be done at the present time. Hopefully somebody will release a tuner within the next century that will make this possible.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Rally Steve
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107312
What I Drive: 2013 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Rally Steve Good Standing Member
When you unplug the fuse you disable the traction control, anti-lock brakes and the speedo.

Where is the Yaw sensor located?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Steve View Post
When you unplug the fuse you disable the traction control, anti-lock brakes and the speedo.

Where did you get that the speedo is disabled???

I have wired an over-ride switch on the fuse to disable the TCS/ESC/ABS etc. and the speedo works fine with the switch off (everything disabled).

On that note, I don't believe there is any way to disable just certain parts of the system. It's all or nothing until there is a tune done for the car.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
yeroc40
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2581
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport YB 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 yeroc40 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
Where did you get that the speedo is disabled???

I have wired an over-ride switch on the fuse to disable the TCS/ESC/ABS etc. and the speedo works fine with the switch off (everything disabled).
did you happen to post a how-to, or have a link to the info? I'd like to do this mod. Did you use a relay, or direct switch?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
Well I got some supplies the other day and managed to get a switch wired up to disable the TCS, ESC, and ABS. If you read one of my earlier posts in this thread, I have went over the effects of pulling the F19 5A fuse when driving. This is a short how-to if you want to wire up your own.
Sorry I did not take any pictures when installing, so these are all taken after the install was completed.

The switch is a simple on/off rocker switch. This must be wired into the fuse box via two wires that will run to the engine compartment through the fender. This I found was the easiest way to run the wires without modifying the car.

The switch is zip-tied to the wire running into the ambient lighting under the foot-well. This lets the rocker switch fit in between the kick panel on the side and the heat vent. It is very out of the way and won't be kicked.

The switch is wired as follows. I wish I had taken a picture of how the switch was wired before installing, as this is the most confusing part of the install.
1) The first wire from the fuse box must be connected to the switch
2) Make a very short wire with two female spade connectors, this will run from the other pole of the switch to the 5A fuse that is zip tied to the side of the switch.
3) Connect the female spade connector on the second wire running back to the fuse box.

This is a picture showing the cabin where the wires are running through the fender. You can push the wires right into the engine compartment and around the back of the fuse box.

This picture shows the inside of the fuse box where the wires run into the box. You do not have to modify anything, but I recommend pushing the wires through from inside the fuse box. You have to remove the plug for the fuse box to do this, but can be done easily by lifting the blue lever. Note the is a small black tab that must be pushed aside to lift the lever.

You can remove the plastic holder for the three fuses that control the TCS/ESC and install the two main fuses by themselves.
I connected the wires to the F19 fuse connector with male spade connectors. You can cut them in half with strong wire cutters and file them smooth. This makes them the same size as ATM fuse prongs. You can see the hole where the wires run in the picture above.

The picture below shows everything closed up. You can see the wires running into the fender. They run around the top of the fuse box and enter under the main harness plug. Again, I recommend running the wires from inside the fuse box and than around the top and through the fender to the interior.

I have tested this and it works like a charm. Once again, I wouldn't recommend leaving the track control off for normal driving, and I feel the system does an OK job, but this will allow you to turn it off easily if you want / need to in a pinch.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and you can view all of the pictures I took here: http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/us...ffins/library/
Copy/Paste from this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=275688&page=7

Direct switch and no mods to the car itself, completely reversible. Cheers
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Steve View Post
The yaw rate sensor, longitudinal accelerometer, and lateral accelerometer are located in the RCM (restraints control module).

The RCM also controls the airbags.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
yeroc40
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2581
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport YB 5-sp

FF Reputation: 1 yeroc40 Good Standing Member
Awesome, thanks MM!

Bookmarks & Social Networks