Possible bad alternator? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
rzimmerman30
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81649
What I Drive: 2007 Red Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 rzimmerman30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Possible bad alternator?

Hello everyone, just looking for some opinions on this one. About two weeks ago, while driivng on the highway, my battery light came on for about 3 seconds and went off. Then about 5 minutes later, it came on for about 3-5 seconds and then went off. It was about 10 degrees outside. Then for two week nothing, until last night, when it was about 5 degrees outside, on the way home from work at about 25 MPH, the battery light came on again for about 20 seconds and then went off. I went into the diag mode and when I start up the car, I'm at 14v. I stay at 14v while driving until the car warms up, and then after its warmed up, and at idle and only at idle, it will drop to 11.6-12.4volts. During this time though, the battery light does not come on. I took it to Autozone and they tested the battery which was 100% good. All connections were good. But it said the voltage regulator failed. I have no problems with lights dimming, my car starts up perfect everytime. Does this sound like a bad alternator, a bad voltage regulator, a bad connection? I'm not sure how the Autozone tests works, if it says "voltage regulator failed" does that mean alternator? Any ideas on this one? Also, how hard is it to replace the alternator on this car? The guy at Autozone said it was under the engine and it would be very difficult to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bookmarks & Social Networks