Focus Sales Surge 58% in Dec, 40% for 2012 - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
The real sales story for the Focus is the 12 month period, up 40% compared to 2011.
Almost 250,000 units in 2012, that is impressive.
Fords USA Fleet sales for 2012 are at 28%, 11% rental, 14% commercial and 3% government.(figures include all vehicles)
and the Focus is doing well in not just the US, but around the world too. It's the best selling car in China and is expected to be the best selling car in the world for 2012
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Unfortunately the Focus's increase was due in part to the increase of the overall segment it appears. The Civic was up 61% and sold almost 50% better than the Focus, despite near universal deriding by the automotive press. The Elantra was up 46%. The Cruze very nearly beat the Focus despite being up 'only' 27%.

At least the Focus was Ford's second best selling model this month after the F150. Usually it's behind the Fusion and Escape I think.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
FF4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33566
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 0 FF4 Newbie
for the year in the US, the Focus moved from the 6th best selling car in the segment in 2011 to #3 in 2012, the Cruze dropped from #2 to #4, the Elantra dropped from #4 to #6. The Civic and Corolla were #1 and #2.

worldwide the Focus is projected to take the #1 spot.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,624, Level 70
Points: 11,624, Level: 70 Points: 11,624, Level: 70 Points: 11,624, Level: 70
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Unfortunately the Focus's increase was due in part to the increase of the overall segment it appears. The Civic was up 61% and sold almost 50% better than the Focus, despite near universal deriding by the automotive press. The Elantra was up 46%. The Cruze very nearly beat the Focus despite being up 'only' 27%.

At least the Focus was Ford's second best selling model this month after the F150. Usually it's behind the Fusion and Escape I think.
How can it be unfortunate to sell almost 80,000 more Focus then the year previously. IMO this very positive news proves the old boys club at FoMoCo & many journalists who said Americans would never pay for the real global Focus WRONG. Remember the excuse given over and over, when Ford was asked over & over again why North Americans were saddled with the bargain special Focus, while the rest of the world got the highly praised Focus.
For a car that had to not only win over consumers perception that a Focus is the settle for car choice based on price only, but also consumers who would never have had a Ford compact car on their radar when considering their next purchase, the Focus has accomplished what Ford (Alan Mulally) set out to accomplish.

The Focus was not built to be a one size fits all type of A-B car, like the Corolla or Civic. So I would never expect it to win any sales races in North America.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
How can it be unfortunate to sell almost 80,000 more Focus then the year previously.
My point is that if Focus sales increased the same as the competition due to an increase in overall car sales, then all that was accomplished is maintaining the status quo which is less impressive (but nonetheless important).

Now it is impressive that the Focus's gain was second only to the Civic and it rose from 6th in the segment last year to 3rd this year as FF4 points out.

Quote:
IMO this very positive news proves the old boys club at FoMoCo & many journalists who said Americans would never pay for the real global Focus WRONG.
There is something to this but it has to be tempered with the question, how would sales have fared without the nearly continuous $1.5k to $2k rebates throughout 2012? Seems to me the Focus's incentives were the highest in the segment. The Civic and Cruze had some good lease deals, but I don't ever remember seeing $2,000 cash on their hoods.

I don't think Ford has yet convinced Americans to pay an actual premium for their compact. Hopefully the Fusion and Escape fare better at attaining premium status.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Good point. Once they get to the point where they don't rebate as much (~like VW), then I would say they have succeeded. I would like to see the Focus as well thought of as the Golf/GTI. Getting there....
Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 3,950, Level 39
Points: 3,950, Level: 39 Points: 3,950, Level: 39 Points: 3,950, Level: 39
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 12 valmundo Great Standing Member
Honda and Toyota had very generous incentives as well for the last few months too. They also had very good financing deals as well. The difference is that Ford was concentrated on the cash back and Honda and Toyota advertised the financing. A buddy of mine picked up a 2012 civic and got $1500 cash back and a sweet deal on his loan.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,624, Level 70
Points: 11,624, Level: 70 Points: 11,624, Level: 70 Points: 11,624, Level: 70
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrud View Post
Good point. Once they get to the point where they don't rebate as much (~like VW), then I would say they have succeeded. I would like to see the Focus as well thought of as the Golf/GTI. Getting there....
Autodata shows that in the 12 months through August VW sales incentives rose an average 30.7% per vehicle to $2,114 from $1,617 a year ago, a period in which most automakers have cut incentives.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.