Yippee !!! 2012 Mazda 3 !!!! - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My Focus was more than ready for prime time. Almost 38,000 miles on it and it has it has an infotainment system that actually works, with buttons that are usable by human hands, as well as a non-grinding, non-shuddering, smooth shifting 6 speed auto trans AND great seats and a quiet ride that make long trips so enjoyable. And not one trip to the dealer for any warranty issues. But Mazda is an OK car or why would Ford own part of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #32
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Here's a (not very good) pic from my cell phone.

REV
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
When I saw the 13 Mazdaspeed3 with the 5.3 in. touchscreen, I was so jealous because my 11 MS3 with tech package only has the dinky 3 in. screen. And I love the new dark colored wheels and the rear valence and black mirrors. It's so sad that the 2013s might be the last we see of Mazdaspeed for a while...
I didn't know that ... they're nice fast cars, but I couldn't deal with the 20+/- gas mileage.

So far my display is hovering about 35 and change MPG with about 25% highway and the rest rural driving. At 2100 RPM at 70 MPH I have no doubt it will get 40 or so on the highway, which is what I require due to the amount of driving that I do. From what I remember, at 70 MPH, my 5 speed Focus was taching about 3000.

REV
Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
But Mazda is an OK car or why would Ford own part of them?
You're 5-7 years behind the times .... Ford divested almost ALL of their Mazda stock about 6 years ago. At present time they own far less than 3% ... and they may have gotten rid of all of it.

Not that owning or NOT owning stock in Mazda would change the products that Ford puts out today anyway ....

REV
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
My Focus was more than ready for prime time. Almost 38,000 miles on it and it has it has an infotainment system that actually works, with buttons that are usable by human hands, as well as a non-grinding, non-shuddering, smooth shifting 6 speed auto trans AND great seats and a quiet ride that make long trips so enjoyable. And not one trip to the dealer for any warranty issues. But Mazda is an OK car or why would Ford own part of them?
Glad you got a great one ... if I had had one like yours I'd still have it.

Hope your luck holds out.

REV
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #36
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
So far my display is hovering about 35 and change MPG with about 25% highway and the rest rural driving. At 2100 RPM at 70 MPH I have no doubt it will get 40 or so on the highway, which is what I require due to the amount of driving that I do. From what I remember, at 70 MPH, my 5 speed Focus was taching about 3000.
REV
It finally hit 40 mpg on a 150 mile trip the other day in my Focus with the 6 spd DCT. At 70 mph, it's well below 3k rpm. Maybe it was only the 5 speeds that rev'd so high since it lacked a 6th gear.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #37
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Maybe it was only the 5 speeds that rev'd so high since it lacked a 6th gear.
Yes ... that's true ... I test drove several DCT's, but I don't remember what they were turning at 70 MPH ... I'd guess in the low 2000's ... similar to the M3.

REV
Old 01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
FFHatch2013
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107544
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 FFHatch2013 Good Standing Member
Quote:
For those who say the M3 interior is terrible, as far as I can tell ... it has a lot of the same soft touch materials that the Focus has.

REV
I also never understood this common shot on the Mazda3. When I was looking at a 2012 i GT Hatch, I found that the Focus SE (that I eventually bought) actually had more hard touch panels (specifically the door panels, both front and rear doors). Even the cheaper iTouring had somewhat soft touch materials on its door panels, at least at front/driver's side. You'll get the mostly-soft touch materials on the (phased-out) SEL and Titanium, which are actually more expensive than the iGT provided they are equipped similarly. Overall though, I liked the handling of the Focus better, plus the rebates available really was the nail on the coffin.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSkills View Post
Coincidentally I was at the Mazda dealer the other day browsing for fun and immediately sat in the 3 on the dealer floor. Anyone who claims to be "trading-up" is fooling themselves and knows it. And yes, they also had the 'Speed 3 inside too, which I had to check the window sticker to make sure it was the performance version as the interiors were identical. I'm sure they drive just fine and all, but no one can defend that cheap interior sea of black plastic. For me it was like a time-warp back to the early 2000's: hard plastics, minuscule screens, drab colors. Not to mention the Nissan Versa-style "body looks too big for the frame" styling.

But hey, enjoy the Mazda. Just remember that without that Ford $$ coming in you won't be seeing many advancements save for more witty marketing lingo selling you the same old as new. (skyactiv, what does this even mean?)
Err...what? Ford doesn't give any money to Mazda...they were re-purchased by a Japanese organization years ago. Ford owns like 2-3% of them again now. You're not "fooling" yourself by trading to a Mazda 3 if you like it better than the Focus. Many people have quite severe problems with the Focus. If the car works, it's an upgrade.

Quote:
Did you get the 5.3 inch touchscreen in yours? It's maybe only offered on the 13s. Anyways, if you have the tiny 3 inch screen, your Bluetooth audio will not show title & artist information and you will not be able to get texts on lots of phones, including iPhones. Just FYI. Not bashing Mazda.
Umm...even on the MFT system bluetooth audio doesn't show title & artist information, and doesn't get text on a lot of phones, including iPhones (any running iOS6, which is most now). That's no different.

Quote:
But that's not the same experience that *everyone* is having. Mine had 30,355 miles on it and the MFT system had more problems than I care to explain, had a grinding and shuddering transmission, and now had more squeaks and rattles than the 2005 Cobalt (absolute base-model) that it replaced.

And, again, Ford does not own any kind of noticeable amount of the company. They have no say in what the company does and don't receive/give funding from/to them.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Yes ... that's true ... I test drove several DCT's, but I don't remember what they were turning at 70 MPH ... I'd guess in the low 2000's ... similar to the M3.

REV
This is actually something impressive to me. In my Focus at 70mph I'd be running around 2700rpm, which is nearly identical to what I run in my 2013 Accord Sport in 6th.

Bookmarks & Social Networks