Lost Keys (2001 SE) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
kmv2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59782
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 kmv2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lost Keys (2001 SE)

Hi, unfortunately lost my only set of keys for my Focus. Long story short, it is at a garage/wrecker 100km away from my home and I'm trying to get it repaired.

The place its at luckily had a donor Focus and they put the ignition switch from that one into mine.

I know because of PATS it won't just start up and go. The closest dealer to this guy's shop is about 40-50km, so is there any way besides towing to a dealer for us to get my car programmed/started so I can go get it?

Has anyone had experience with this? I've searched and read dozens of topics but a definitive answer is not what I found.

It's over 10 years old so I can't get a new key made. Can a locksmith make a new key?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Why can't you get a key made for a car that is over ten years old?

All my cars are over ten, never had any issue.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
kmv2
Focus Rookie

I read a thread here that said it was not possible.
Also, I called the dealer (the parts guy there is a dick) and he said the same thing.

However, a locksmith said he can do it, but needs to program the ECU. I asked him why the dealer can't get the key codes the make me one and he said its because they won't look up cars over 10yrs old.

How/where did you get your key made?

Keep in mind I have 0 keys right now (can't cut/add/program a new one) and the car is physically 100km away.

Right now I am considering getting it towed to the locksmith guy's garage. I'm about $100+ in with the wrecker/tow guy already so with a 100km tow and new key, this is going to be expensive. k

Last edited by kmv2; 01-04-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: clarification: called locksmith for quote today after making thread. $160 to make the key.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
"""because they won't look up cars over 10yrs old.""" because they want you to buy a new car

While you are at it, be sure that the ignition keyhole is centered, if it is offset then that cylinder will fail at a most inconvenient place/time

If your old cylinder was removed intact a locksmith can cut a key to match it that will also match your other locks

Bringing the car to the locksmith is your best option
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmv2 View Post
I read a thread here that said it was not possible.
Also, I called the dealer (the parts guy there is a dick) and he said the same thing.

However, a locksmith said he can do it, but needs to program the ECU. I asked him why the dealer can't get the key codes the make me one and he said its because they won't look up cars over 10yrs old.

How/where did you get your key made?

Keep in mind I have 0 keys right now (can't cut/add/program a new one) and the car is physically 100km away.

Right now I am considering getting it towed to the locksmith guy's garage. I'm about $100+ in with the wrecker/tow guy already so with a 100km tow and new key, this is going to be expensive.

k
I already had two keys, so getting a third key made was cheap insurance against the kind of problem you are having.

Key blank with PATS off ebay for $10
Local locksmith cut the key for $2
I programmed the ECU to accept it using the other two keys.

When looking for a local locksmith, I found many that offer mobile service for computerized car keys.

99% of locksmiths make house calls, I couldn't see towing a car to a guy that does most of his work out of a van. If the locksmith is no good, you have two tow bills.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
I have had a locksmith make a new MASTER and pair it to the ecu cost about $50 and I went to him. Have him make 2 masters, not a master and a clone! Then you can pair your own third master cheaply.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Uh, they're all clones after you have one..............I'm with elsolo, I keep 3 on hand at all times so that can't happen, if one lost you can still pull the rabbit out of the hat.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
You have no choice but the locksmith...

ALL makers of cars make the dealerships use the 10 year or 7 year policy not to sell a new car, but to keep inventory at a certain level.
If your part is 10+ years old, 99% of the time its Junkyard or Autozone...

Can you imagine if I went to a dealer and had a fit over Ford not having a Key for a Model T in stock?? hahahah

BUY your keys on eBay then give them to the locksmith, GET 3 keys Total..

He will use a cheapo key to get the right fit from the door, then transfer that to the ignition, then program the keys
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
Amc49, you are incorrect, they are NOT all clones. For the definitions of a "master" key and a "clone" key, search for the thread "Key troubles.." and read post number 10.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
kmv2
Focus Rookie

So they sent the car up to the dealership to get programmed (without telling me how much or asking if they could). Dealer says they got it started once, then it goes back into lock mode. FFS.

Anyways, the dealer's cost to reprogram the new key to the system is cheap so I said try it again and if not then tow it to the locksmith I found in my town. If it comes to that, I'll figure out if its worth it to put the old ignition in and get him to make a key or to work with this salvaged ignition/key.

Bookmarks & Social Networks