ZX3 Shift Cable Problems - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
ryan8787
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54045
What I Drive: 2001 Dark Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ryan8787 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ZX3 Shift Cable Problems

I posted here about a month ago about my shift lever popping out of gear and being able to pop the bottom of the lever back into the shift cable to momentarily fix the problem. However, i have just been able to take the center counsel apart for the first time to get a good look at it. So it looks like the plastic round end of the shift cable is the weak spot in my problem.

So my question is, is there a way to switch out that plastic part, or would i have to completely replace the whole cable its self? I have looked around for a little bit, and it seems that the cables are replaceable without getting too much into it (only bending the heat shield a little to get the cable though the firewall and remove the air intake as well)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
ryan8787
Focus Rookie

http://s1341.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Here is a picture of the base of the shift tower where the end of the shift cable is popping out from the shift lever

Last edited by ryan8787; 01-02-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: The picture wouldn't load so i just linked instead
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Juggernaut Mtrsprts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107925
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 rally car

FF Reputation: 1 Juggernaut Mtrsprts Good Standing Member
Do the cables as if that's worn then the rest most likely is too. There are 2 different styles though the 00-02.5 and 02.5+ so make sure you get the right ones. Its not that bad a job to do.

Juggernaut Motorsports
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
ryan8787
Focus Rookie

So would i have to drop the transmission to do this, or is it possible to do it from the top of the engine compartment? also does anyone have any ideas on how long it would take?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Juggernaut Mtrsprts
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107925
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 rally car

FF Reputation: 1 Juggernaut Mtrsprts Good Standing Member
No you can leave it in for sure. You ll need to take off most of the centre console, bottom portion of the heater box under the centre of the dash as there are 2 nuts under there either 10mm or 13mm iirc. Also bend the heat shield out of the way in the centre exhaust tunnel. Removing the air intake will make this a lot easier to get to the top of the trans. and also to the heatshield.

Hope that helps, timewise I can do it at the wrecker in about 30 mins but thats with cutting and breaking things.

Juggernaut Motorsports

Bookmarks & Social Networks