2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 26 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #251
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Cory, as an FYI for your technical advisor: my DCT doesn't make a grinding noise. Should I make a service appointment to remedy this abnormal behavior?
I like this...

My Focus was "abnormal" for the first 1,500 miles, then it became "normal" and I traded it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #252
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
My dealers said "It's a characteristic of the transmission." But then that begs the question - why doesn't it chatter when shifting into odd gears? I brought it up several times to my dealers that it sounded like a clutch-related issue because it only happens in R, 2, 4 and 6. Soooo I gave up until summer comes around again.
It’s funny you say that, because mine still shifts hard, loses power, and grinds between 2-3., but only when it’s warm outside. Recently, it’s been cold here – so, I’m with you and waiting until it starts to warm up again to get it to grind consistently.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #253
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
It’s funny you say that, because mine still shifts hard, loses power, and grinds between 2-3., but only when it’s warm outside. Recently, it’s been cold here – so, I’m with you and waiting until it starts to warm up again to get it to grind consistently.
Same here - I can still get it to do it with moderate load and low RPM or up a hill, but it's still too picky for me to convince the dealers it's something I need until it REALLY starts to act up come summer.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #254
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Same here - I can still get it to do it with moderate load and low RPM or up a hill, but it's still too picky for me to convince the dealers it's something I need until it REALLY starts to act up come summer.
I actually made it grind after idling for 5 minutes while waiting to get through a gate; as soon as I started to take off it grinded between 2-3 and it was 26f outside.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #255
agamben0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88778
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan (Sterling Grey)

FF Reputation: 1 agamben0 Good Standing Member
Cory did a great job in responding to me and getting a CSM to talk to me about my grinding problem. For that I am quite grateful.

Unfortunately, that's about all that's great about my situation right now.

I talked to the CSM that called me, and wouldn't you know it, she had the EXACT SAME ATTITUDE AS THE DEALER. Trying to pass off my concerns as normal. She did however say that she would get my closest dealer to contact me... which they did a day later, I was busy and missed the call, and they didn't leave a message.

Come on, Ford!

The more I drive around, the more I realize that I'm never going to be able to get a severe enough noise to happen on-demand for a tech to hear... that I'm going to be stuck with a car I have no confidence in... and that the best long-term strategy is to get something else :(

I test drove a 2013 Cruze today and I have to say I was very impressed...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #256
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
The CSM/CSR won't do anything. The dealerships are independent, and Ford has setup some kind of warranty repair reimbursement system that is not favorable to the dealers (otherwise they'd be jumping all over the chance to do a repair). If you want it repaired, you have to be friendly with the service center and probably at multiple dealerships until you find one that is willing to accept non-lucrative warranty work. The grinding, unfortunately, is not easily lemonable as your car is still reliably working.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #257
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The grinding, unfortunately, is not easily lemonable as your car is still reliably working.
The only reason I can see around this is to appeal how it lowers value. I know that if any of us try to sell our cars, either a buyer or dealership is going to look at us as if we’re crazy when we tell them that the grinding is “normal.” Heck, if the dealership would have mentioned that (of course they’re not going to) I would have walked away and found something else.

I would also mention how it lowers safety of the car, as the transmission is going to fail at some point due to the wearing in the gears.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #258
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,768, Level 38
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamben0 View Post
I talked to the CSM that called me, and wouldn't you know it, she had the EXACT SAME ATTITUDE AS THE DEALER. Trying to pass off my concerns as normal.
Perhaps "harmless" would be a more appropriate word than "normal".

The noise may be disconcerting but there is no direct evidence that suggests it is harmful.

Keep in mind that the "grinding noise" is not really grinding at all.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #259
agamben0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88778
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan (Sterling Grey)

FF Reputation: 1 agamben0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The CSM/CSR won't do anything. The dealerships are independent, and Ford has setup some kind of warranty repair reimbursement system that is not favorable to the dealers (otherwise they'd be jumping all over the chance to do a repair). If you want it repaired, you have to be friendly with the service center and probably at multiple dealerships until you find one that is willing to accept non-lucrative warranty work. The grinding, unfortunately, is not easily lemonable as your car is still reliably working.
Good to know. Sort of reinforces my position at this point that I'm not getting anywhere, and I never will, so it's best if I just get rid of it while it has some amount of value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Perhaps "harmless" would be a more appropriate word than "normal".

The noise may be disconcerting but there is no direct evidence that suggests it is harmful.

Keep in mind that the "grinding noise" is not really grinding at all.
The noises getting louder and more frequent as time goes on does not give me any amount of confidence that it'll still be drivable a year from now without being constantly bothered by noises and shaking. Harmless or not, it's embarrassing. People ride in my car and ask what the heck is wrong with it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #260
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,768, Level 38
Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38 Points: 3,768, Level: 38
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamben0 View Post
The noises getting louder and more frequent as time goes on does not give me any amount of confidence that it'll still be drivable a year from now without being constantly bothered by noises and shaking. Harmless or not, it's embarrassing. People ride in my car and ask what the heck is wrong with it.
Does the noise happen under moderate to hard acceleration?

Bookmarks & Social Networks