DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 177 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #1761
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got my car back this afternoon. They were not able to isolate what I thought was a driver's side upper strut mount issue, but that's OK. If it wasn't a rogue ice chunk, the problem should become more obvious and easier to diagnose over time.

The transmission work was done (new seals, clutch assembly, etc. TSB 11-12-13). As expected, it shifts like a dream. The dealer indicated that so far none of the seal / clutch assembly jobs they have done have come back with the same problem. I am hoping / expecting that the new seals are superior and will hold up. I was pleasantly suprised with improved gas mileage on the drive home. That trip with winter tires usually gets me 37.1 - 37.3 mpg. Coming home today I got 39.3!! Besides being a few degrees warmer (28F instead of 18F, the only difference is the clutches not being contaminated with gear oil. It is logical to expect better efficiency, I just didn't expect to see any kind of noticable improvement in the numbers. Only time will tell.

Hatch Nation #174
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1762
cuozc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107955
What I Drive: 2012 red Focus se

FF Reputation: 1 cuozc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
I got my car back this afternoon. They were not able to isolate what I thought was a driver's side upper strut mount issue, but that's OK. If it wasn't a rogue ice chunk, the problem should become more obvious and easier to diagnose over time.

The transmission work was done (new seals, clutch assembly, etc. TSB 11-12-13). As expected, it shifts like a dream. The dealer indicated that so far none of the seal / clutch assembly jobs they have done have come back with the same problem. I am hoping / expecting that the new seals are superior and will hold up. I was pleasantly suprised with improved gas mileage on the drive home. That trip with winter tires usually gets me 37.1 - 37.3 mpg. Coming home today I got 39.3!! Besides being a few degrees warmer (28F instead of 18F, the only difference is the clutches not being contaminated with gear oil. It is logical to expect better efficiency, I just didn't expect to see any kind of noticable improvement in the numbers. Only time will tell.

Congs!

I won't be able to get mine back till the 14th. The samo clutch replacement. Yet, the dealer said some special part on back order...
Glad to hear that no one has come back after the new seal and clutch; and the fact that yours is working perfectly for you!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #1763
Tonybaloney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87335
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Metallic Hatch Sel

FF Reputation: 1 Tonybaloney Good Standing Member
So after 5 days of driving mine after an apparent 2nd TSB update, its now WORSE. It now shudders while at highway speed. Before it was just 1st-3rd. Now if I let off the gas to coast a bit and then accelerate I feel the shudder again. And just looked up the info, and in MD after 18,000 miles or 2 years I cannot file for the Lemon Law on a new car. I'm at 27,000. I'm so done with this car. I JUST WANT A SMOOTH DRIVING EXPERIENCE! IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK FOR FORD?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1764
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybaloney View Post
It now shudders while at highway speed. Before it was just 1st-3rd. Now if I let off the gas to coast a bit and then accelerate I feel the shudder again. And just looked up the info, and in MD after 18,000 miles or 2 years I cannot file for the Lemon Law on a new car. I'm at 27,000. I'm so done with this car.
At least your dealerships replaced your clutch (right?) or did they just replace the seals? If it's the latter, that's probably your problem. I still have shuddering (same as you - releasing the gas and pressing it again causes shuddering). I don't think you're out of luck, though. Check the BBB to see if they can do repairs. I also don't qualify for the lemon law (over 40k miles), but I'll be contacting the BBB in the summer when it starts acting up again to see if I can force Ford to do the repairs without a full lemon buy-back.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #1765
Tonybaloney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87335
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Metallic Hatch Sel

FF Reputation: 1 Tonybaloney Good Standing Member
They said the transmission was bone dry, no leaks. What do I have to do to make it leak? Seriously, how can I sabotage my car so it gets fixed PROPERLY!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #1766
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
They said the transmission was bone dry, no leaks. What do I have to do to make it leak? Seriously, how can I sabotage my car so it gets fixed PROPERLY!!!
Weird... although, my car shudders and they also said it was dry. I think they're lying, but they've also never completely opened it up and replaced seals like on your vehicle. They tried to look at it through the starter opening or something?

I think there's a chance we have bad clutches (glazed/broken/etc.) without the oil contamination as well. But Ford seems to be ignoring that possibility, so if there is no oil, they won't replace the clutch.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #1767
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
I JUST WANT A SMOOTH DRIVING EXPERIENCE! IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK FOR FORD?!?!?!?!?!
Apparently, it is. My Focus vibrates and shudders more than any car I've ever owned. And I've owned some real junkers in my day.

Funny thing is, it didn't vibrate and shudder until after a Ford dealership worked on it.

But Ford doesn't care... they 'fixed it', so they now feel entitled to dismiss my concerns and label me a crank.

A couple words of advice to anyone considering contacting Ford 'customer service' on this forum: don't bother. Worse than a waste of time for me... it's been an insulting and frustrating waste of time. They are more interested in keeping dealerships from making 'unnecessary' warranty repairs than in making customers happy.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #1768
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Weird... although, my car shudders and they also said it was dry. I think they're lying, but they've also never completely opened it up and replaced seals like on your vehicle. They tried to look at it through the starter opening or something?

I think there's a chance we have bad clutches (glazed/broken/etc.) without the oil contamination as well. But Ford seems to be ignoring that possibility, so if there is no oil, they won't replace the clutch.
My clutch seals weren't leaking but the dealer said one of them wasn't disengaging properly which was causing the slipping while accelerating. I primarily complained about the slipping, but it was also shuddering from a stop. They replaced the clutches under TSB 11-12-13 despite the lack of leakage.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #1769
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87167
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
I had all the funky transmission problems with my car. I started driving it harder and flooring it a bunch. Seemed to have smoothed everything out, no more noise either while shifting. I'm just over 22k miles.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1770
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuozc View Post
Congs!

I won't be able to get mine back till the 14th. The samo clutch replacement. Yet, the dealer said some special part on back order...
Glad to hear that no one has come back after the new seal and clutch; and the fact that yours is working perfectly for you!

2 repairs and there will be a third....False hope. Same parts = same problem will occur until a fix is found.

Bookmarks & Social Networks