DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 176 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #1751
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Fair enough, guess I just like to provide advice based on direct results I've actually gotten.
I do think that there are probably a number of people with shuddering problems that would benefit greatly by following your advice.

I took it easy on the car when it was new and I noticed that the operation of the DCT really changed (for the better) when I started to get on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #1752
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
FWIW - I was instructed by a friend who is an engineer that this car was not to be broken in - I was to drive it from day one as I currently drove my Mustang.

I just turned 4,900 miles, and have had the car since Sept. 30th 2012 (it's build date is 6/2012 I think).

So far - it appears fine.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1753
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woggy64 View Post
FWIW - I was instructed by a friend who is an engineer that this car was not to be broken in - I was to drive it from day one as I currently drove my Mustang.

I just turned 4,900 miles, and have had the car since Sept. 30th 2012 (it's build date is 6/2012 I think).

So far - it appears fine.
Appreciate the input, and I don't doubt your friend is knowledgable. But let's be real, if the engineers who designed it can't even figure out what's wrong with some of them, I have a hard time accepting anyone outside Ford, engineer or otherwise, is an authority on this particular unit.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #1754
WizardSkills
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100116
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A 5-door

FF Reputation: 3 WizardSkills Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrench6646 View Post
I stay up with these posts, as I am leary of the longevity of the DCT. Mine started out with the shudder, got better, then started shuddering (a little) again. Other than that, no issues. I can manually outshift, and beat a '94 Mustang GT. And still get 36MPG's. The Sony stereo is awesome, and I still love this car, but, and this is important, I am praying that Ford gets a grip on these complaints, figures out what's wrong, & right, and can make these rides into what they should be. I traded a Honda to get one of these. I had rented a Focus for a week before I decided to buy. I found the rental to be Far Superior to the Honda in Ride, Fit, and comfort. Now that I bought, I still am happy with all of the above, but am apprehensive on the longevity of it. Listen up Ford, this is a car we are wanting, we just need to know we can count on it!
Perfectly stated and mirrors my experience exactly. I am loving this car, I just want to be reassured as to its longevity.
2009 Town Car SigLim-sold
1999 Ranger Toreador Red XLT 4x4 Off-Road-sold
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #1755
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Appreciate the input, and I don't doubt your friend is knowledgable. But let's be real, if the engineers who designed it can't even figure out what's wrong with some of them, I have a hard time accepting anyone outside Ford, engineer or otherwise, is an authority on this particular unit.
He's an engineer for a company that is a supplier to many in the automotive world. (Ford, GM, BWM, Telsa, Fiskar are their bread and butter clients)

And I personally feel that this is a combination of many different things but being lumped into a single container here.

Some are bad parts (happens), some are bad dealers screwing it up even further because they do not know their products, some are just plain major defects from the start.

And some people are just picky - this is never going to feel like an regular automatic.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #1756
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSkills View Post
Perfectly stated and mirrors my experience exactly. I am loving this car, I just want to be reassured as to its longevity.
And this why Ford should use the hyundai plan - jack our warranties up to 100k/10 years to ensure they are behind this car and they want happy (repeat) customers.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #1757
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
He's an engineer for a company that is a supplier to many in the automotive world. (Ford, GM, BWM, Telsa, Fiskar are their bread and butter clients)

And I personally feel that this is a combination of many different things but being lumped into a single container here.

Some are bad parts (happens), some are bad dealers screwing it up even further because they do not know their products, some are just plain major defects from the start.

And some people are just picky - this is never going to feel like an regular automatic.
Well I'll trust my own experience over an auto supplier engineer. And I'm not claiming to be breaking in any hardware. It very well may be that the clutches break in on their own with even the lightest of driving style. My personal opinion is the 5 hard accels "resets" the software in some way. Just like 12B37 "reset" it for the worse.

Quote:
And this why Ford should use the hyundai plan - jack our warranties up to 100k/10 years to ensure they are behind this car and they want happy (repeat) customers.
Agreed. Anyone know if Ford has ever done this before? I'm doubtful since the 4th gen Explorers with the v6 have chronic radiator problems that ford has apparently never acknowledged. They complain about that over on the Explorer forums almost as much as the dct here.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #1758
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I'll trust my own experience over an auto supplier engineer. And I'm not claiming to be breaking in any hardware. It very well may be that the clutches break in on their own with even the lightest of driving style. My personal opinion is the 5 hard accels "resets" the software in some way. Just like 12B37 "reset" it for the worse.
I think you read my reply wrong - I was kinda of agreeing with you on this - I often have the pedal to the floor on some on ramps here. I love the feeling of this car, which is why I think mine appears fine. It's never been babied - from day one it's been driven hard.

Sure, the mileage suffers - but still getting 10 MPG more then the Mustang it replaced.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #1759
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
I think you read my reply wrong - I was kinda of agreeing with you on this - I often have the pedal to the floor on some on ramps here. I love the feeling of this car, which is why I think mine appears fine. It's never been babied - from day one it's been driven hard.

Sure, the mileage suffers - but still getting 10 MPG more then the Mustang it replaced.
Oh by don't break in you meant don't drive easy. Got it.

It's kind of ironic though that the transmission Ford chose for their mass market compact primarily for its fuel efficiency advantage (as per their marketing materials) can start to behave poorly if driven for the best fuel efficiency (i.e. very lightly). Reinforces my belief they should have saved the DCT for an enthusiast trim level of the car, maybe the Ti. Hyundai and Chrysler seem to have reserved their DCTs for only more entusiast oriented models or trim levels.

I do like the DCT when it's behaving well, and I sure do love to operate in a high RPM band frequently with this car...
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #1760
AtlantaDan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107970
What I Drive: 2012 Focus HB SEL

FF Reputation: 1 AtlantaDan Good Standing Member
For what it is worth, I have 37k on mine and it performs flawlessly. MPG's are 28 or so combined and driving it easy...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->