Trade-in Value? Looking to trade this week -- Fully loaded Titanium - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #71
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Does your car have the new HondaLink Infotainment system? It looks pretty cool from what I've read about it, almost similar to MirrorLink.

I built a Mirrorlink like system on a Raspberry Pi controlled by a Lilliput 7" touchscreen and have tested it extensively at home, it get's road tested later this week.

LOL Nice ^^^

I've seen some pretty cool things done with the Raspberrys. The Sport edition doesn't have a touchscreen, so doesn't have actual "HondaLink", but it does have some of the features like the Pandora integration and such. They said there's the ability to add some more of the app integrations later, but as of right now no. There's no way to add a touchscreen to the Sport editions, even for navigation (not possible to add Navi). That was kind of a downside to the car, but it's really not bad...Honda charges $2000 for their navigation system, so I was fine not going that route.

Plus the Sport has more power, better exhaust (and good-looking dual exhaust), and a different suspension. It's also pretty much the only way to get a manual transmission, since I hate the way the CVT sounds/acts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #72
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
LOL Nice ^^^

I've seen some pretty cool things done with the Raspberrys. The Sport edition doesn't have a touchscreen, so doesn't have actual "HondaLink", but it does have some of the features like the Pandora integration and such. They said there's the ability to add some more of the app integrations later, but as of right now no. There's no way to add a touchscreen to the Sport editions, even for navigation (not possible to add Navi). That was kind of a downside to the car, but it's really not bad...Honda charges $2000 for their navigation system, so I was fine not going that route.

Plus the Sport has more power, better exhaust (and good-looking dual exhaust), and a different suspension. It's also pretty much the only way to get a manual transmission, since I hate the way the CVT sounds/acts.
You bought a nice Honda, I think it looks better than the Focus and probably has a lot more room. The nice thing is they hold their value extremely well and it should give you several thousand trouble free miles.

As for navigation, dealers charge way too much for it. I can't see paying extra for that when my smart phone does the same thing and much much more.

The Pi is pretty amazing for a $35 SoC but it's doesn't take much to peg the CPU. I have A2DP, PAN, and HFP working in addition to the touchscreen but it's just too much so I am using the BT features of MFT for now. I'll be moving to a dual core Cortex A9 based Android on a Stick as soon as I can get Linux running reasonably stable on it.

Here's some pics of my set up inside the Focus, it is running Pandora and streaming the audio over MFT. I'd show navigation but then everybody would know where I live lol!. I plan on moving into a gen 1 or 2 Subaru within the next few months and then I'll replace the gauge cluster with touchscreens.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #73
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
You bought a nice Honda, I think it looks better than the Focus and probably has a lot more room. The nice thing is they hold their value extremely well and it should give you several thousand trouble free miles.

As for navigation, dealers charge way too much for it. I can't see paying extra for that when my smart phone does the same thing and much much more.

The Pi is pretty amazing for a $35 SoC but it's doesn't take much to peg the CPU. I have A2DP, PAN, and HFP working in addition to the touchscreen but it's just too much so I am using the BT features of MFT for now. I'll be moving to a dual core Cortex A9 based Android on a Stick as soon as I can get Linux running reasonably stable on it.

Here's some pics of my set up inside the Focus, it is running Pandora and streaming the audio over MFT. I'd show navigation but then everybody would know where I live lol!. I plan on moving into a gen 1 or 2 Subaru within the next few months and then I'll replace the gauge cluster with touchscreens.

Looks pretty slick, but that's a lot of cables LOL I'd love to add a Pi somewhere in the dash, but it wouldn't really integrate into the system except for audio. It would be great to integrate the navigation into a Pi system like that, but then I'd have to put it somewhere...and that I'm not too sure about. The dash looks *clean* and putting anything else somewhere would clutter it I think.

Either way, this is vastly superior car. It's got a *lot* more room. It's exactly 1" wider, and exactly 20" longer...and it shows. I'm 6'3" and always had to scoot up my seat in the Focus when people were in the back. In this thing, I don't scoot it up and the people in the back have a good 5"+ more legroom than they need. Add a huge trunk, and it's fantastic. Plus it has way more power and a phenomenal manual transmission.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #74
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
@hotleadsingerguy - Great you changed your Focus for a Honda Acord. Have a great ride !

But, after reading your latest posts, it seems to me that you were wrong in the first place when you bought the Focus. You are almost orgasmic over a MT but you chose a DCT. You love great space in the rear, but you chose the one who it is known to be not that "large". You wanted a mid-size sedan but you bought a compact hatch. I hope next time you buy a car, you'll be more carefull, because if not, you'll end up again losing money. My .02$
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #75
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
@hotleadsingerguy - Great you changed your Focus for a Honda Acord. Have a great ride !

But, after reading your latest posts, it seems to me that you were wrong in the first place when you bought the Focus. You are almost orgasmic over a MT but you chose a DCT. You love great space in the rear, but you chose the one who it is known to be not that "large". You wanted a mid-size sedan but you bought a compact hatch. I hope next time you buy a car, you'll be more carefull, because if not, you'll end up again losing money. My .02$
Not true. At the time that I bought the Focus I was actually happy to get an automatic because I had a long commute at the time in rush-hour traffic, I was completely fine with the space in Focus (I was even fine moving my seat up a bit for more room), and I wanted a compact hatch.

So you don't really know what I want/like, you're just inferring that the things I like about the Accord are the things I normally look for in cars. This is, by far, the largest car I've ever owned. It's bigger than the Mustang and BMW I've had. I love manual cars, but at the time that I bought the Focus I really wanted an automatic because of the drive.

Either way, my problems didn't stem from those decisions...my problems stemmed from the way Ford handled the issues I had with the car.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #76
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Either way, my problems didn't stem from those decisions...my problems stemmed from the way Ford handled the issues I had with the car.
Well put.

If I were to buy a different car now, I would probably want slightly more room in the back for passengers, maybe manual, maybe hybrid, maybe diesel, probably turbo charged. Just because my current car isnít those things doesnít mean I bought the wrong car.

But speaking of our horrible trade-in values, Iíll be putting the ST spoiler and mid-wing on my car because itís not like itís going to make my car worth any less.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #77
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
...Either way, my problems didn't stem from those decisions...my problems stemmed from the way Ford handled the issues I had with the car.
I only told you what my impression was reading this thread. Sorry if I was mistaken.

As I stated before, I think that 90% of the frustration that is so "loud" here is because of some Ford dealers not being able to offer a good service or at least a logical explanation beside "it is supposed to act like this". And I tend to believe that's almost an US Ford dealers' problem. Yes, here in Canada we have also bad apples (I have 3 dealers arround my house in a radius of 25 km) and I know that one is great, one is not bad and the third is good for changing tires, nothing more. But, those bad apples are known and they go out of the market or they change to better service if they want to survive. It is unfortunate that in US you can't have the same. Because if you only have one dealer in a radius of 50 miles, well, this one will make the law. And nobody will ever challenge him.

P.S. The Focus is priced higher here. Maybe this is why Ford has a better service dealers ? Who knows ? And the same is for Europe and Australia, as far as I noticed.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.

Bookmarks & Social Networks