Prepping/priming body kit - DIY or paint shop? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
VinnyB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97705
What I Drive: '03 Screaming Yellow EAP

FF Reputation: 18 VinnyB Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Prepping/priming body kit - DIY or paint shop?

Well... I'm kinda bored. I've been reading the prep instructions for the body kit (so far I have the front/rear bumpers) I'm in the process of buying. (Me and the lady selling it worked out an arraingment, for every payment I give her, she'll let me take 1-2 pieces)

I don't have the tools (spray gun, air compressor, etc), facilities (paint booth, etc) or the technical know-how (experience) to do a full on painting of the body kit, but it's been something I've wanted to learn - even going so far as to see if there are any courses I can take at a local community college.

Now, these are these are the instructions as per the manufacturer (Cervini)

Quote:
"To remove and mold release contaminants, clean the back of the part first. Using two new clean rags, saturate the first rage with plastic prep cleaner*.

Then, use the second rag to remove the prep cleaner. Continously fold both rags to their clean sides during the process...etc."

*available at any auto body supply store
Now, I have a few questions about this (namely, specific brands)

It says "plastic prep cleaner" - is there a specific reccomended brand?

After I do this to the front & back (Just a heads up, I'm quoting some of the directions, paraphrasing others), the next part is to scuff it, using 3M Scotch Brite pads (it specifically says a red pad) & Ajax or "sand fix", then clean it again.

Once that's all done, the pieces should be dull instead of shiny, and need to be wiped down again with the plastic prep cleaner.

Next is the adhesion promoter - again is there a specific reccomended brand?

I took a trip up to Autozone (needed some PS & brake fluid) and was looking around for the materials it said I'd need. I found the scuff pad, but there were a ton of various paints/primers, etc. None of them said "adhesion promoter" or anything of the like.

After the adhesion promoter is on & dried, the next part is the urethane primer w/ flex additive. Again - is there a reccomended brand?

Once that is on, I have to sand it with 600 grit sandpaper and wipe it down with a tack cloth to remove the dust.

That part I'm clear on, it's just the vagueness of some of the other materials - the plastic prep cleaner, the adhesion promoter, & the urethane primer w/ flex.

Any specific brand reccomendations?

Thanks in advance

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.