Burnt smell and very hot wheels - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
All SVTs have ABS, so be careful when opening bleeder valves. The pressures can be higher than you think. I bet the problem is related to the brakes, but disc brakes will be very hot to the touch after driving- even in normal operation. You can fry an egg on them.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Was the piston fully retracted (wound in clockwise), and was the piston recess/s orientated correctly with the nub/pin of the pad?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earls32 View Post
Any other thoughts on this problem?
The only thought I've had is that you spelled BRAKE wrong 8 times.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
Earls32
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46470
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 Earls32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
The only thought I've had is that you spelled BRAKE wrong 8 times.
Yea I noticed that after the fact darn spell check on my phone. Just didn't want to go back and change everything. Sorry guys.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
phatlt23
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5511
What I Drive: 2002 Focus MACH Audio ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 phatlt23 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
hate to revive an old thread but i am having the same problem my rear drive wheel smells hot and is hot to touch. i have replaced the caliper two weeks ago and am not sure what to check next i need the car to drive tomorrow so any help would be grateful. thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earls32 View Post
03 SVT focus. Took it out for a ride tonight for some fun. Long story short I had to get on the breaks hard. Well after doing that I noticed the most horrible smell in the world. Figured it was the breaks from the hard breaking. So I drove normal ;) another 5 miles to the house but everytime I push the clutch in it feels like something is holding it back almost like the breaks were pressed. Got back to the house and went to check the back breaks and both back wheels were actually so hot it burnt the first layer of skin off my fingers. Now this is both sides on the rear. The smell was coming from the break area and both back rims,calipers, and even lugs were so hot that when water was applied it sizzled. Emergency break was not applied, and front rotors and calipers were normal warm to the touch. Is it possible that both rear calipers went at the same time? Any tips on checking the breaks? So hot you could feel the heat from the inside of the car on the back fender wells. Lol. Actually took 45 mins for the rear wheels to cool off just to touch them. Little help please. Pads were just changed 1000 miles ago with no problems till tonight.
SEDAN REVOLUTION #190
ZETEC Crew # 33

14.92 @ 92
13.92@102 with 65 shot

Bookmarks & Social Networks