Replace master cylinder clutch - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #121
cargo99
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107505
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cargo99 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just replaced my cmc today. I wanted to thank NotoriousOne for the great photos and explanations. I had no trouble today but would like to point out that I did not need to take off clutch pedal that all you need to do was loosen the four bolts on the pedal assembly and that should give you enough room to wiggle the cmc out and put the new one in position. Thanks a lot again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #122
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I just replaced my CMC yesterday on a 2003 SVTF using Notorious0ne's pictures and guide in the first post. It would have taken me forever if not for the well-written descriptions and photos of each step.

I only really got hung up on 3 things.

The first was getting the clip off the bottom hydraulic (steel) line. I had a hook and pick set (sort of like >this one<) to use to pop the clips out. The top clip was no problem, took maybe 20 seconds to get the pick angled right. The lower one took at least to 40 minutes. I ended up having to take needle nose pliers and bend the tip of one of the picks to the side a little bit so that I could hook it underneath the clip and pry it out. The ABS module on my SVTF made accessing the lower clip infinitely more difficult.

The next snag I hit was with the clutch return spring. When I dropped the pedal assembly down the clutch return spring slid off without me seeing where it was initially connected. It took two people close to 30 min to figure out how that stupid spring connected to the pedal bracket. I found that the spring connects to a tiny hole on the back of the pedal bracket that was totally inaccessible if the pedal assembly is bolted to the firewall. I had to unbolt the pedal assembly, then attach and hold in place the clutch return spring while tightening one of the 4 nuts for the pedal bracket. >This post< has a halfway decent picture showing where the return spring gets connected.

The third, and least trouble-some, issue was locating the bleeder screw. The first post makes it seem like the bleeder screw is behind the throttle body somewhere on or near the firewall. I dont know if mine was different because of ABS or what but I used the pictures from >this post< to locate my bleeder screw. It took a while to bleed the system but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be from some of the comments on here (ie. pumping the pedal hundreds of times). I bled it old-school style and put enough fluid through the system to fill a 20 oz mountain dew bottle until the pedal felt good and responsive.

Overall, it wasn't nearly the hardest thing I've ever replaced on a focus. It was just really inconvienent. If my new one starts leaking in the future Im taking it to a shop and letting them twist-and-contort themselves under the dash like I had to. Regardless, my clutch now feels better than ever.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's

Last edited by Insaniac; 12-23-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #123
Notorious0ne
Focus Addict

Fan#: 70375
What I Drive: 05 Saleen Focus, 04 Saleen Focus

FF Reputation: 15 Notorious0ne Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Im happy i could help, Thanks for the additional information!

The cops are here to keep us safe.............I'm here to keep them busy!

Hatch Nation #43
Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #124
wintrjr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98312
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX3 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 wintrjr Good Standing Member
Again, nice instructions and pictures

It took me 6 hours to complete my replacement of the CMC. The instructions and pictures really helped me out. I found it to be a moderate PIA to complete, more than I thought after reading it only took a couple of you 1.5 - 2 hours. The lower line in the engine compartment was stuck/rusted in place and took quite a bit of work to get out. I also bought a brake bleeder to complete the job (I did not bench bleed the new MC, I didn't want fluid all over my interior) and it didn't work well for me. After about a half an hour of trying to find the darn bleeder screw that was buried under half a dozen wiring harnesses, I hooked up the bleeder and started drawing a lot of air, a LOT, too much. So, I had my boy pump the clutch and doing it the old fashioned way for about 15 minutes it was complete.

I can't tell you how many times I cursed my big meat hooks!!! It is up and running great now. I bought my part $35 and brake fluid $5 at Auto Zone . . sounds like I saved about $350-$400. Thanks Focus Fanatics!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #125
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
^^Sorry it took you so long, but I'm glad to hear you got it done. Learning to do it yourself and saving that money is a good feeling
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 03-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #126
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Exclamation Check that mounting bolt while in there!

Wierd related news:

A month or so later, the huge clutch pedal bolt (the one the pedal swings on) snapped! I hadn't touched it at all; if I had removed it I would have likely seen wear and definitely at least greased it. The mechanic who fixed it said Ford no longer stocked the part, so he had to fabricate it.

Anyone else had this bolt problem? I haven't search the site.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #127
Notorious0ne
Focus Addict

Fan#: 70375
What I Drive: 05 Saleen Focus, 04 Saleen Focus

FF Reputation: 15 Notorious0ne Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Wierd related news:

A month or so later, the huge clutch pedal bolt (the one the pedal swings on) snapped! I hadn't touched it at all; if I had removed it I would have likely seen wear and definitely at least greased it. The mechanic who fixed it said Ford no longer stocked the part, so he had to fabricate it.

Anyone else had this bolt problem? I haven't search the site.
Ive never heard of that. Maybe the mechanic broke it? I feel like that bolt has to be pretty hard to break considering all it does it swivel.

The cops are here to keep us safe.............I'm here to keep them busy!

Hatch Nation #43
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #128
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
The folk were just driving normally when it snapped with a big bang due to the spring. They towed the FF to the shop.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #129
SVTFsOnIcBlUe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33737
What I Drive: 04 CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 SVTFsOnIcBlUe Good Standing Member
I have to say thanks a grip for the write up. One thing I've seen no one mention are the 2 small clip guide that are on the cmc body. Took me nearly two hours of screwing around trying to line up the body with the brake pedal bracket because it just wouldn't slide in. I ended up studying the old one carefully and noticed a very small curve carved into the tiny guides that allowed it to slide over the metal bracket.I busted out my woman's nail file and ground the new guides down in the same way and it fit perfectly. What a pita! How come no one else had this problem? I know a picture would help describe it but I wasn't about to take it back out. Total job time was about 6 hours. If I did it again it would take me less than an hour.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #130
akram1027
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101150
What I Drive: 2003 bronze red zx5

FF Reputation: 1 akram1027 Good Standing Member
Good Hell I wish i would've looked for this before doing mine did it in the dark started at six finally finished around ten.... holy sh!t!

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
clutch master cylinder