Rough idle,ticking noise-PLEASE HELP!!!! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
catawissarocket
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99911
What I Drive: 2003,se,burgundy

FF Reputation: 1 catawissarocket Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSVTGUY View Post
Does that engine have VCT? I'm wondering if the oil is draining back out of it after shut down? Then when you start you hear it fill back up and it runs rough until this happens. With the weather being colder this is taking longer.
I'd change your oil filter to the Ford one I believe it has a valve to prevent flowback.
Just a cheap easy thing to try
Whats a VCT? yeah but we've had the car new since 2004. why would this be happening now? i will give it a shot though.. i'll hit the stealership up next time i change the oil, which will be soon to pick up the ford filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
catawissarocket
Focus Rookie

Was wondering, a buddy of mine suggested maybe its a fuel filter.. it is the original one and its has 131,000 miles..was going to change it out for the hell of it. are they a pain in the butt on the focus? also does it need to be depressurized?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
catawissarocket
Focus Rookie

Any feedback on this guys?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102873
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 2 anarchy0392 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Well there are two belt on the side of the engine one is the serp which is on the accessory's and the timing belt which is over top of two big gears if you have the Zetec engine. If you have a Zetec that knocking sound is very common idk why though but its nothing to worry about. And VCT is variable cam timing which only comes on a SVT Focus which I'm sure you don't have. As for the rough idle whens the last time the air filter was changed, are you having voltage drops, or maybe its a dirty throttle body. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
catawissarocket
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy0392 View Post
Well there are two belt on the side of the engine one is the serp which is on the accessory's and the timing belt which is over top of two big gears if you have the Zetec engine. If you have a Zetec that knocking sound is very common idk why though but its nothing to worry about. And VCT is variable cam timing which only comes on a SVT Focus which I'm sure you don't have. As for the rough idle whens the last time the air filter was changed, are you having voltage drops, or maybe its a dirty throttle body. Good luck!
its just a 2.0 single over head cam. probly the simplist and cheapest enging they make.. filter never has been changed and how do you tell if your having voltage drops? throttle body,maybe.. is that easy to clean/ get to??
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Well change the air filter with a K&N if you wan it to breath better or use a cheaper one but you really do need to change its supposed to be done every 60k miles so you really do need to get it done. If your having voltage drops then your lights will be dimming slightly but its noticeable the most against a wall. And the throttle body is just on the back of the engine on top where the plastic air intake tube goes. If you ever reved your engine from under the hood then your touching the TB. There is a how to for cleaning it on here.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
catawissarocket
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy0392 View Post
Well change the air filter with a K&N if you wan it to breath better or use a cheaper one but you really do need to change its supposed to be done every 60k miles so you really do need to get it done. If your having voltage drops then your lights will be dimming slightly but its noticeable the most against a wall. And the throttle body is just on the back of the engine on top where the plastic air intake tube goes. If you ever reved your engine from under the hood then your touching the TB. There is a how to for cleaning it on here.
I'll pick up a air filter this week and clean the TB.. 131,000 miles hope to get more life from it.. never was driven hard..
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

My first one lasted 210K till accident totaled it just keep up maintenance and it will last for ever.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->