Ford dealt class-action lawsuit over C-Max, Fusion hybrid mileage claims - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6, 02 ZTS

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
So let me get this straight the cars are tested under carefully specified conditions, on a dyno. Then the numbers are approved by the EPA to show no cheating on the numbers. But yet customers can sue and win for the numbers being wrong, how does that work?

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
So let me get this straight the cars are tested under carefully specified conditions, on a dyno. Then the numbers are approved by the EPA to show no cheating on the numbers. But yet customers can sue and win for the numbers being wrong, how does that work?
Because they don't read the fine print which states in 1000pt font that your mileage may vary, and they just get upset when they drive worse in the real world than the car performs under idealized conditions. Its the whole squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome, as well as people being whiny and selfish.

They want those numbers to reflect what they get when they lead foot it around.

Which was why the 2008+ numbers and testing was modified slightly to more accurately reflect real world by adding a few more tests, ones with more a/c usage as well as higher speeds which factors into the numbers to give a more accurate approximation, as opposed to the original rough approximation. However this just didn't give the people what they wanted, which was numbers lower than what they would actually see in the real world which would make them feel better.

There are many people which can beat or exceed the EPA numbers who don't complain that the numbers are too low, but those who bitch about not meeting the numbers say they are too high or are some how falsified.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My understanding is the EPA doesn't do the testing and approve the window sticker numbers, they set testing procedures and generally trust the manufacturers to adhere to the guidelines. They basically audited Hyundai over their recent claims and found them innacurate, and Hyundai admitted they screwed up their testing procedure, which miraculously improved their numbers.

The only recent car I remember consistently beating advertised estimates is the Jetta TDI, if I remember correctly it's rated at around 43 MPG highway and journalists routinely see significantly better mileage, nearer 50 MPG.

All that said, I will shoot myself in the foot if you can prove to me you got 47 MPG in a Fusion hybrid. Short of extreme hyper miling techniques, that number has always sounded like utter bullshit to me and I'm not a bit surprised Ford is taking heat over this, and I really expect these advertised numbers to be revised shortly.

Do you guys really think Ford has the ability to produce a cheap midsize sedan that can get near that mileage claim?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
My understanding is the EPA doesn't do the testing and approve the window sticker numbers, they set testing procedures and generally trust the manufacturers to adhere to the guidelines. They basically audited Hyundai over their recent claims and found them innacurate, and Hyundai admitted they screwed up their testing procedure, which miraculously improved their numbers.

The only recent car I remember consistently beating advertised estimates is the Jetta TDI, if I remember correctly it's rated at around 43 MPG highway and journalists routinely see significantly better mileage, nearer 50 MPG.

All that said, I will shoot myself in the foot if you can prove to me you got 47 MPG in a Fusion hybrid. Short of extreme hyper miling techniques, that number has always sounded like utter bullshit to me and I'm not a bit surprised Ford is taking heat over this, and I really expect these advertised numbers to be revised shortly.

Do you guys really think Ford has the ability to produce a cheap midsize sedan that can get near that mileage claim?
The EPA does test cars and confirm results, maybe not for every single car, but they do monitor the results, and most O.E. vehicle manufactures don't cheat for the precise reason that by self policing they generally avoid the issues that Hyundai faced.

Given how the previous Fusion hybrid was capable of close to if not over 42 mpg city and the new one has a better powertrain it should do better at least in the city, and aero tweaks to help the highway test result.

I can't confirm the results, but the test is done on a dynomometer, and if it can run as extensively and as quickly on electric only propulsion it can get much higher mpg ratings on the test than is easily achieved in the real world with a lead footed driver.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
dieselboy77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61381
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3

FF Reputation: 2 dieselboy77 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Most people drive 75-80 mph , of course they wont get the EPA number, the EPA is set for speed between 55-62 mph.
I've got 40 mpg with my ST while driving on the Jersey highway going 55 mph
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
GhiaFan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 9 GhiaFan Good Standing Member
The first thing to remember is that the EPA rating is not a prediction. It's a comparison.
The EPA rating is generated in a lab, not on the road. That's why you can compare one vehicle to another: they were all tested under identical conditions. If automakers apply the test honestly -- I'm talking to you, Hyundai-Kia -- it's the best way to compare vehicles' fuel consumption and cost.
The EPA fuel economy ratings aren't perfect, but they're the only game in town. If hybrid technology outstrips the current test, the EPA and Department of Energy have plenty of PhDs to fix it.
http://www.freep.com/article/2012122...y-fuel-economy
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The problem is that most people don't understand how cars work. All they understand is advertising.

When they buy a 47mpg hybrid and in the first week of ownership put their family and luggage in it with e10 fuel and go on a road trip at 75mph using the air conditioner and in-car entertainment they just expect to get 47mpg by default.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

Join the cause! 3 Door Fords for America! facebook.com/3DRS4US

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Santa isn't real?
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
eurocars
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61077
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 eurocars Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTeam View Post
[IMG]That top electric-only speed means that for the portion of the EPA's highway fuel-efficiency test, which maxes out at 60 mph, the car can travel in electric-only mode without the gasoline engine kicking on; essentially the C-Max Hybrid is optimized for the EPA test.
Of course manufacturers optimize their cars for the EPA test. If you do that, you can advertise great MPG numbers like ford did and also bump up CAFE ratings to offset the sale of trucks
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by National Motorists Association blog
In other words, your mileage will vary.

Unfortunately for Honda – and potentially every other seller of hybrid cars and perhaps cars, period – there are a lot of people out there who cannot read and comprehend the meaning of plain English and worse, assume everything the government tells them must be true, since it’s the government that’s telling it to them. Thus, they become angry when reality disabuses them – but unfortunately, they channel their anger toward the wrong party.

Here is the truth about the Civic hybrid – and all hybrids:

If you drive it very gingerly, if you keep it under 50MPH and accelerate very gradually, it is entirely possible to realize the federal government’s publicized “high” MPG figures – and even to exceed them. The problem, of course, is that it is difficult to drive this way if you ever want to get anywhere – and/or have any concern about not driving your fellow drivers to fury by impeding their progress.
Original article: Honda MPG Lawsuit: Well, She Won

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks