2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 17 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #161
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendarus View Post
Seriously?
My car makes a noise that it's intended to make! Call the feds!

Sent from your mom's house.
Sonics MK3 Crew #21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #162
HatsuneMiku
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105511
What I Drive: 1996 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 HatsuneMiku Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Paw View Post
I also have this noise on my brand new 2013 Focus. A guy posted a YouTube video which really illustrates what it sounds like and how long it lasts. This link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkbGjGX3dyM
The dealer never heard of it before I brought it up. Their research came up with a notification from Ford which read:
"SSM 12013 - 2013 Focus - Clicking noise from the automatic transmission after vehicle is unlocked and prior to engine starting.
2013 Focus Vehicles equipped with the Powershift DPS6 transmission may experience a clicking noise from the transmission after the doors are unlocked, opened and prior to the engine starting for up to 3 minutes. The noise is the transmission shift motors waking up and preparing for startup. Attempts to eliminate the noise should not be made."

I am very, very unhappy with Ford's response to this ridiculous response. I intend to pursue this issue to Ford in Michigan, local TV media and Washington, D.C. for a recall notice from the feds.
Good, I support you. I don't have the energy to do what you're doing so good luck.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #163
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrigan View Post
My car makes a noise that it's intended to make! Call the feds!

Sent from your mom's house.
Well Said
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #164
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
I think people should stop worrying about this unless something breaks. There's no harm being caused by these servos running.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #165
G-Paw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107854
What I Drive: 2103 Ruby Red Ford Focus, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 G-Paw Good Standing Member
Unless you spend approx. $30,000 on a new car and park it in your garage and listen to this noise for 3 minutes several times per day AND you didn't intend to even drive it that day, then please don't criticize others. How many times do you open a door to just wash or vacuum the car. Well then every time you do so, the noise starts all over again. I guess the transmission needs to be awake while the car gets washed. No wonder the Japanese, Koreans, Germans, etc are building better cars, their engineers know how to design a car. Maybe Ford should have taken the bailout money, they could have hired engineers who know what they are doing.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #166
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Unless you spend approx. $30,000 on a new car and park it in your garage and listen to this noise for 3 minutes several times per day AND you didn't intend to even drive it that day, then please don't criticize others. How many times do you open a door to just wash or vacuum the car. Well then every time you do so, the noise starts all over again. I guess the transmission needs to be awake while the car gets washed. No wonder the Japanese, Koreans, Germans, etc are building better cars, their engineers know how to design a car. Maybe Ford should have taken the bailout money, they could have hired engineers who know what they are doing.
How is the car supposed to know you you don't intend to drive it each time you open the door? That's a stupid statement, the car can't tell the difference, and it isn't hurting anything at this point in time, except for your fragile nerves.

If you don't intend to drive the car then simply remove the battery connections and leave it as a $30,000 statute if the car bothers you that much as a car. Or you could have bought a dull as dishwater corolla, or a Civic.

It doesn't sound like my car makes this noise as far as I know, but it does make other sounds and sights after opening the door if I don't start it right away. The gauges start to move in preparation for the car to start, but this is normal and expected. The car is basically designed to not allow it to drain the battery unnecessarily for the most part.

It sounds like you enjoy complaining so here's a how to :

How to complain
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #167
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Quote:
Everybody's complaining about normal noise servos make. Tell me please what problem exactly this is causing your car. How can you criticize engineers when you're not one and know nothing about the engineering of a car? Maybe I should bitch every time my fuel pump primes when I put the key in the ignition because the engineers suck because the fuel pump makes a noise. EVERY DAMN TIME I PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. So annoying!
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #168
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
Everybody's complaining about normal noise servos make. Tell me please what problem exactly this is causing your car. How can you criticize engineers when you're not one and know nothing about the engineering of a car? Maybe I should bitch every time my fuel pump primes when I put the key in the ignition because the engineers suck because the fuel pump makes a noise. EVERY DAMN TIME I PUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION. So annoying!
To be fair though, when putting the key IN THE IGNITION, you are much more likely to be starting the car, so priming of the fuel pump makes sense at this point.

What doesn't make sense is every time you open the door it starts to prep the transmission. As others have said numerous times, people open their car door A LOT for reasons other than driving.

Time will tell if this causes problems...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #169
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
To be fair though, when putting the key IN THE IGNITION, you are much more likely to be starting the car, so priming of the fuel pump makes sense at this point.

What doesn't make sense is every time you open the door it starts to prep the transmission. As others have said numerous times, people open their car door A LOT for reasons other than driving.

Time will tell if this causes problems...
I'll give you that one. But it all seriousness people have there arms up in the air over no problem. Only a noise due to a system cycle at this point. This thread is how long? Not one person has shown any sort of legitimate issue. None whatsoever.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #170
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
If you notice, it only does it when you open the front doors and only if the car was not driven recently.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.

Bookmarks & Social Networks